Any leads on BA restaurants with spicy food?

obiwanderkenobi

Registered
So, I'm a (very) spicy food aficionado. Jalapeno level of heat is ok, but I love anything habanero level of heat or hotter. Done and won several hottest wing "challenges" in the States. When I go to a Thai or Indian restaurant, I always ask for "native hot" (basically a level or two hotter than whatever level of "white guy" hot is listed on the menu). Mentioning all this just to highlight that by spicy food, I'm not referring to a local "empanada carne picante" that is a mild level of chipotle heat at best.

Prior to arriving in BA in September, I lived in Cancún for six months (which was spicy food heaven for me) and Bogotá for six months. Bogotá was more of a challenge, but there was a Buffalo Wild Wings knockoff that had some mango habanero wings with good heat, and I also found an Indian restaurant with some great curry dishes where I could specify the level of heat on a scale of 1 to 10; so it was enough to scratch the itch.

However, I've been sort of going through spicy food withdrawal here in BA, lol...most of the food seems pretty mild, even at "foreign food" places that I would typically expect to have a spicy dish or two. I've tried a couple Mexican places (La Fabrica and Che Taco), an Indian place (Delhi Mahal), a Thai place (Green Curry), and an Arab place (Rifi Comida Árabe), all with no luck. I think the Thai place let me choose from "bajo / medio / alto" for heat level, but the alto tasted like maybe they sprinkled in some Tabasco sauce at most. The spiciest thing I've tasted here is the Bloody Mary I had yesterday afternoon at Dada Bistró close to Plaza San Martin (their shrimp risotto was fantastic BTW).

Anyways, not a complaint by any means, I know it is what it is and that Argentines typically don't have the palate for spicy foods, but surely there's got to be at least one or two places in this city with a couple of dishes that pack a punch?? If anyone happens to see or know of a restaurant that might be up my alley, please let me know. ¡Gracias!

I cook my own spicy dishes every day 😁 but try Cang Tin (Vietnamese/Thai place). I haven't been there yet but the food looks really good on Instagram. I'm sure you can ask for the level of spicy you'd like.
IMG_20231210_124431.jpg

I cook my own spicy dishes every day 😁 but try Cang Tin (Vietnamese/Thai place). I haven't been there yet but the food looks really good on Instagram. I'm sure you can ask for the level of spicy you'd like.
View attachment 9303

Awesome, thanks for the lead! My apartment is in La Boca, but I go to Portal Palermo every couple of weeks for shopping and it looks like Cang Tin is just a few blocks away. Seems like they have excellent reviews - I'll check it out!

Edit: just looked at Cang Tin's menu and looks like they have double flames next to several dishes, indicating "muy picante!"....looks promising :)

Forget spicy food in regular Argentine restaurants. You may have some luck in Chinese restaurants. I have eaten very spicy food (beyond cayenne pepper heat, which I have no troubles with) in a Chinese restaurant years ago near the subway station Malabia, but the restaurant does not seem to be around anymore.
I could go for some Kung Pao or General Tso's right about now, lol.

3 hour flight to Lima would be the best lead I could offer you.
The thought has definitely crossed my mind.

For home cooking in Argentina:

You can find tabasco in some specialty stores. I've found some Indian spice mixes with some heat, like Tandoori and Yellow curry as well. "Aji Picante" sauce in the supermarkets is ok.

In the northern provinces -Salta, Jujuy they serve a nice salsa made out of Aji Peppers that they serve with empanadas which has a little kick to it.

3 hour flight to Lima would be the best lead I could offer you.
Maybe you don't need to go so far, there's a bunch of Peruvian restaurants in Buenos Aires, Asumare have locations in Palermo and on Corrientes, they serve a spicy ceviche if you ask for it. You can also ask for your hot sauce to be brought separately, if it's not an option for the plate you chose, or you're not certain you can deal with it (not a problem for the OP, I guess). Asumare on Corrientes offers a lunch buffet now, I believe. More restaurants like that around the Abasto shopping centre, and also in Chinatown and Belgrano (Luccuma, Cocoroco, just to mention two). Sazon in Villa Urquiza isn't bad either.

Also in Chinatown, lots of restaurants offer sambal-type sauces to accompany their dishes. If it's not enough, you can often buy rocoto in one of the supermarkets there.

For Mexican food, the OP mentioned the Fabrica de Taco (Villa Urquiza, Palermo, Mercado San Telmo), but you have to ask for your hot sauce, and if that's not enough, well, then you get to drown your sorrow in a frozen Margarita o_O

For home cooking in Argentina:

You can find tabasco in some specialty stores. I've found some Indian spice mixes with some heat, like Tandoori and Yellow curry as well. "Aji Picante" sauce in the supermarkets is ok.

In the northern provinces -Salta, Jujuy they serve a nice salsa made out of Aji Peppers that they serve with empanadas which has a little kick to it.
I've picked up a variety of sauces and salsas from Jumbo and whatnot - so far I have bottles of spicy ketchup, aji picante, habanero, jalapeno, salsa mexicano, sriracha, and spicy mango. They help to spice up the every day stuff, but would be nice to find a few restaurants that make foods where heat is integral to the dish.

Maybe you don't need to go so far, there's a bunch of Peruvian restaurants in Buenos Aires, Asumare have locations in Palermo and on Corrientes...

...and if that's not enough, well, drown your sorrow in a frozen Margarita o_O
Thanks for the lead on Asu Mare! I love ceviche (spicy ceviche even more so). Looks like they have excellent reviews. I'm also taking suggestions for good margarita spots, lol.

Back