Anyone bought us$ this week?

Quick question -

A couple of people have referred to this already in this thread, but my wife's parents have a long-term rental (2 year contracts, not temporary) in dollars.

Just wondering if it's legal or not, because the land lady's going ballistic about the idea of not getting paid in dollars (due to these issues) and I would like to be able to give some informed advice on what their rights are in this respect.

mjake said:
Went to inquire about $ at banco supervielle today. i need us$ to pay the deposit of my flat.
they told me only argentinians and people with residency could buy dollars and only the amount determined by the afip!
what the hell.

Bank regulation, and not a governmental one (I think). But it depends if you have una cuenta de ahorro with them or not -> If you are not a client, they'll priviledge their own clients who line up to get dollars (like Sheeps).

You have to use the advice given on this forum by ElHombreSinNombre and others.

Smcali23 said:
Quick question -

A couple of people have referred to this already in this thread, but my wife's parents have a long-term rental (2 year contracts, not temporary) in dollars.

Just wondering if it's legal or not, because the land lady's going ballistic about the idea of not getting paid in dollars (due to these issues) and I would like to be able to give some informed advice on what their rights are in this respect.

Follow the advice given here, tell the LL it's no problem but due to AFIP regulations you need someone of them to come with you to explain what the dollars are for.

Maybe they'll negotiate...

Smcali23 said:
Quick question -

At the moment is legal, but later on it may be illegal to issue contracts lease/sales of properties in dollars this is in review right now and I won't be surprised if this becomes a reality in the near future. Besides the outcome in reality any action taken to streamline and regulate this situation will be at the end better for everyone, less anxieties, less currency manipulation and what is more important less speculation. In any case once the contract is done it has to be honored until a new contract is redacted then the situation may change if new laws are passed.

Just wondering what people on this board would be willing to pay for dollars.

Someone mentioned 5.2 is being paid somewhere, but I'm sure most wouldn't pay that. Or would they?

Lucas said:
Amado Boudou stressed that the laws haven't changed; they're just being enforced like never before.

Evading taxes was easier in Argentina before the government updated its computer systems. Now, the tax agency, Central Bank and money laundering watchdog all have access to the same data, and can detect when someone is moving more cash than can be justified by their declared income.

"Nothing has changed with respect to the possibility of buying dollars. Everyone who can demonstrate their income can acquire them," Boudou, now doubling as vice president-elect, said Monday on Twitter.

Then he added a warning:

"But those who hoped that this government would stop defending the country because it won the elections, forget about it. This government works for Argentina."

I am genuinely curious what you would have to say, Lucas, in the event that the US Treasury instituted restrictions on sale of US dollars to people who could document the source of the funds, and the result would be that the USD loses over 10% of its value overnight on unregulated world markets. What opinion would you be expressing regarding the competence and integrity of US authorities?

(btw - I just checked with a good change place in NYC - they buy the peso at 4.82).

Napoleon said:
Just wondering what people on this board would be willing to pay for dollars.

Someone mentioned 5.2 is being paid somewhere, but I'm sure most wouldn't pay that. Or would they?

Spot on I'd say, vive l'Empereur !

JWB said:
Solved poverty and discrimination?? I guess all the growing Villas are upper middle class?? I guess "negros de mierda" is a loving term that I hear EVERYWHERE when referring to people from Peru, Bolivia, etc.

Nice try but you have a long long long long LOOOOOOOOOONG way to go before you can make that ridiculous claim.

Umm, you need a sarcasm detector! :D

That was my point -- to be calling the "right" to purchase US dollars a "civil right" is a sick joke.

ben said:
I am genuinely curious what you would have to say, Lucas, in the event that the US Treasury instituted restrictions on sale of US dollars to people who could document the source of the funds, and the result would be that the USD loses over 10% of its value overnight on unregulated world markets. What opinion would you be expressing regarding the competence and integrity of US authorities?

(btw - I just checked with a good change place in NYC - they buy the peso at 4.82).

Since you compare the US with Argentina:
In the US, if you are a basic employee getting a certain wage, the value of this wage (inflation/monetary policy) will be determined by banks (who will give 10 times more credits than the money they'll get access to, with a big positive spread of course) and not by the people you elect.

To each country its own demons though (we have a big share in France too).
This one aims to fight fiscal evasion also, I'd say it's not that bad.

This government couldn't be more anti-Argentina and anti-Argentine, like most of governments since 1930. or 1945.! You fools screwed up once a great country!

Back