Anyone bought us$ this week?

lewitravel

Registered
Hi guys,

Just wanted to see if it's calmed down with AFIP or not. I want to buy $2000 with my passport. Do you think this is too loud? Anyone know if there are any limits in place?

Just interested in personal experiences and not speculation

Cheers

Not speculation but not a personal XP either, I translated (badly&quickly) the regulation that will affect you (if you're a non-resident).

French jurist said:
Here's a quick translation to English of the Central Bank reglementation regarding tourists/foreign exchange.
Sorry for the bad quality of the translation, not my native language & I'm in a rush today.

Translated from :
http://www.bcra.gov.ar/pdfs/comytexord/A5241.pdf

Quick translation and notes :
i. The sale of currencies for the purpose of tourism and travels to non-residents will be subject to an authorization by the Central Bank when the following requisites are not fully met: a) it is proven that the previous entry of the foreign currency through the local currency market during the stay of the non-resident in the country for an amount not less than the one being asked for by showing the original receipt of the exchange operation by which the foreign currency entered the country, and for which the process will be treated by the entity for the amount operated by the customer; and b) it does not exceed the equivalent amount of 5.000 USD for each customer and during the stay in the country. Copy of the required documentation shall be kept in the entity at the disposal of the central bank.

ii. Modification of point 3 of note “A” 4662, being replaced by the following :

3. “The purchase of currencies and the purchase of foreign currency bills will be done after approval by the central bank.

So, what this text means :
There are two cumulative conditions for a non resident to be able to buy freely currencies :
1- proving that the amount being exchanged has previously entered the country through the local currency market (the receipt needs to be kept) --> Example = John Doe enters Argentina with 2.000 USD, changes them to 8.500 pesos but at the end of his trip, he wants to change back 2.500 pesos to USD = he will have to show the original receipt
2- operation must be less than the equivalent of 5.000 USD (e.g. 5.000 USD/4.300 EUR/etc).

If those two cumulative conditions are not met -> the Central bank will need to give its approval.

Surely some people will post their own XP (likely tricky).
In any case, you'll need to prove that the 2000 you want to change have previously entered the country (ATM ticket, whatever).

Thanks. I'm going to try today and will report back. Will take a bank statement with me but not expecting success

If you're taking your pport, make sure that your visa hasn't expired and that you're obviously not living here as a perma-tourist otherwise they probably won't let you...

I was unable to buy any dollars yesterday. Went to a few different casas de cambio and the Bank Supervielle on Charcas where everyone recommended. No dice at any of them. Now I am keeping my ATM receipts, hopefully this will be enough next time.

I got shutdown as well. I took a printed statement but Metropolis wanted the ATM statement to prove it was not a fake but I can only obtain a balance from the ATM's. Going to try Banco Piano again as they were a bit confused despite proof of over $10000pesos withdrawn they said only a receipt from a cambio house buying pesos is allowed. The banks just said straight no

I guess situation should stabilize in the near future (Some were predicting a "pesificacion" on this forum...).

Black market rates already are dropping, nice job.

French jurist said:
I guess situation should stabilize in the near future (Some were predicting a "pesificacion" on this forum...).

Black market rates already are dropping, nice job.

What Buenos Aires are you living in???!!! Situation is getting worse, no dollars anywhere AND the rate is going UP. Are you smoking crack or just flat out misleading for the hell of it?

Amado Boudou stressed that the laws haven't changed; they're just being enforced like never before.

Evading taxes was easier in Argentina before the government updated its computer systems. Now, the tax agency, Central Bank and money laundering watchdog all have access to the same data, and can detect when someone is moving more cash than can be justified by their declared income.

"Nothing has changed with respect to the possibility of buying dollars. Everyone who can demonstrate their income can acquire them," Boudou, now doubling as vice president-elect, said Monday on Twitter.

Then he added a warning:

"But those who hoped that this government would stop defending the country because it won the elections, forget about it. This government works for Argentina."

PM me if you need USD, I have a friend in Capital who can sell at a very decent rate.

Back