Anyone else "crazy" enough to live in La Boca?

I live on the border of Constitution, San Telmo and San Cristobal. So many people shiver in fear when I say Constitution. I love my neighborhood. I know everyone in my area. I feel very safe.
I have just brought a 240 metre apartment in Constitution . Stunning antique building with 5 metre ceilings constructed in 1917 . The neighbours are very friendly and the cafes and shops are half the price of Palermo . Sure there are problems in the neighbourhood with drugs and prostitution but over time it will change as did Palermo Soho after 2003 . Prices for properties can be found for just 500 dollars a metre 10 times cheaper per square metre than Puerto Madero just 16 blocks

Yes crime can be a problem here like any barrio . Puerto Madero is definetely the safest but you need to have a lot of money to live there in small apartmenrs .

I live where a couple barrios intertwine downtown, one of them being Constitucion and it's fine. My only complaint is the cartoneros don't put the trash back when they're done digging through the dumpsters, and some buildings need their facades/front sidewalks to be better taken care of/repaired, but it's a very middle class/quiet neighborhood (minus protests which can spill over).

I've lived in Vicente Lopez, Palermo/Chacarita/Villa Crespo, San Nicolas, and here, and it's all the same: don't flash the cash, get to know your neighbors to look our for each other, don't let random people you don't know in to the building, and if you go out late at night to a kiosko leave your phone/watch/wallet inside.

I was in Texas last year and it had more "shithole" vibes than many places people get told to avoid here. I'm not going to go live in Villa 31 or Dock Sud, but most of CABA is safe most of the time; our homicide rate is 4.7/100K which is comparable to NYC and Toronto, and well behind cities like London, Philadelphia, and Rio. If you're looking for trouble you can find it, but personally I get delayed more by protests than I've been robbed or burgled, not that it doesn't happen, but you're more likely to be killed in many US cities than you are here, yet nobody talks about the threat to tourists in New Orleans which has a murder rate of 70.56/100K.

It all comes down to experiences, I lived deep in San telmo near Boca and walked home drunk at 3am every night for months until one day night some chorro put a gun to my head and said "wallet and phone"

Now I live in Recoleta and its never happened to me but I know it can here too

My apartment is pretty much right next to the La Boca mural and Parque Lezama.
"About Heroes and Tombs is the second novel by Argentine writer Ernesto Sabato , published in 1961 , in Buenos Aires , Argentina . The work marked a milestone in the literary production of Ernesto Sabato, who was then 50 years old, because it was considered the best Argentine novel of the 20th century and one of the greatest Spanish-speaking works."
The main characters in the novel met in Parque Lezama 70 years ago. https://es-m-wikipedia-org.translate.goog/wiki/Sobre_héroes_y_tumbas?_x_tr_sl=es&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

I have just brought a 240 metre apartment in Constitution . Stunning antique building with 5 metre ceilings constructed in 1917 . The neighbours are very friendly and the cafes and shops are half the price of Palermo . Sure there are problems in the neighbourhood with drugs and prostitution but over time it will change as did Palermo Soho after 2003 . Prices for properties can be found for just 500 dollars a metre 10 times cheaper per square metre than Puerto Madero just 16 blocks

Yes crime can be a problem here like any barrio . Puerto Madero is definetely the safest but you need to have a lot of money to live there in small apartmenrs .
We have long enjoyed our apartment in Palermo Chico. Recently we've noticed a few too many EEUU tourists. So we now carry pepper spray in case they get too rowdy.

We have long enjoyed our apartment in Palermo Chico. Recently we've noticed a few too many EEUU tourists. So we now carry pepper spray in case they get too rowdy.
😂 I am near there, and I noticed there many Americans here right now. Never have seen this many.

Last edited:

I think Constitution is the next neighborhood to gentrify too. It's already much better now than it was 10 years ago.

Back