anyone using a Boxee box in AR?

for what it is worth I have a wd tv live, which is supposed to be very similar. Works great but many internet services (netflix, blockbuster etc) are not available in Argentina. I can view facebook with it, access youtube and internet radio, all through my TV.

I am using a Roku box which is similar, but I have also added a 2nd router to my home network that has dd-wrt open source firmware installed on it which is connected to a VPN provider in the US, giving everything that connects to that router a US IP address. This allows me to use Netflix, and Hulu Plus on the Roku.

Greg2231 said:
I am using a Roku box which is similar, but I have also added a 2nd router to my home network that has dd-wrt open source firmware installed on it which is connected to a VPN provider in the US, giving everything that connects to that router a US IP address. This allows me to use Netflix, and Hulu Plus on the Roku.

Nice! I am interested in doing the same, but haven't got a clue how to set up a US VPN. Is it a paid service?

marcopolo said:
Nice! I am interested in doing the same, but haven't got a clue how to set up a US VPN. Is it a paid service?
I use Stongvpn which is $55 a year for a four city pptp account, it took trying a few different servers to get the necessary throughput for Netflix to stream successfully. The two main things that you will need to do this is a router that can be flashed with dd-wrt and a decent internet connection(I have a 5mb connection from speedy) once you have those it will be pretty easy to setup, there are tutorials out there explaining how to flash the router with dd-wrt, and strongvpn has step by step instructions on how to setup up the router to work with there service(I use a 2 router setup, the second router which is just plugged into the first with an Ethernet cable runs dd-wrt and connects to the vpn)

thanks Greg.
Have you tried Netflix streaming with HD movies, and if so how do they run with a 5mb connection?

Greg2231 said:
The two main things that you will need to do this is a router that can be flashed with dd-wrt and a decent internet connection(I have a 5mb connection from speedy) once you have those it will be pretty easy to setup, there are tutorials out there explaining how to flash the router with dd-wrt, and strongvpn has step by step instructions on how to setup up the router to work with there service

It's pricier, but you can also buy a router through StrongVPN that's already been flashed with dd-wrt - I started reading about flashing it myself, and decided there were too many ways to mess it up, so I'm just buying one of theirs that's ready to go.

marcopolo said:
thanks Greg.
Have you tried Netflix streaming with HD movies, and if so how do they run with a 5mb connection?
HD movies can be hit or miss. There is some speed loss when using a VPN connection(less so with a open vs pptp, though initially setting up a open is more complicated), and it is my understanding that HD on Netflix requires 3.5mb. There are also issues with getting the full speed of your connection when connecting to the US. For instance I just did 2 speed tests from my non VPN router the first is using a server in BA and I get just over 5MB, the second is using a server in San Francisco and I am getting around 2.5MB. The loss you see connecting to the US can vary by time of day, also some ISP's are going to have better connections to the US then others.

I tried VUDU trailers and it worked the first time (of my mac using boxee) later tries failed :mad:. I think because it recognizes my ip location out of US.
Roku now has a new selection "plex" I guess it bridges your PC with Plex into roku. Don't know how well it works. more info here
http://gigaom.com/video/plex-on-roku/

Back