Anyone using a KINDLE here?

deef217

Registered
Before I officially add a KINDLE to my Xmas list - curious to know if anyone here has one and what kind of problems there may be? Would I run into the 'not available in your geographical area' if I try to download my fav books and newspapers ?

I'm not tied to the KINDLE - so if there are other e-readers - would love to hear your feedback.

I miss books!!! And the Correro process to receive my amazon book orders is a PITA. :eek:

Thoughts? Thanks for your help! :D

I have a Nook, and the huge issue is that you cannot download books here in Argentina (or outside the US) as there are copyright legal issues. I am sure Amazon will have the same problem.

However, there are some work arounds.

1, Technical one: if you are computer savvy you can (i believe the term is "spoof") your IP address so that the computer thinks you are downloading in the US instead of here. There are paid services that you can sign up for, and probably free ones. This has advantages in that a lot of websites that block content due to copyright issues outside the US will now be available (Hulu for example). Downside is, a lot of these websites are constantly guarding against these spoofing tactics.

2. Give a friend you trust access to your amazon or whatever account. With the Nook if you purchase in the US through your account, you can download the book once it is in your account anywhere in the World. I know it sounds all very 1991, nascent internet, but "thems" the rules. Upside: books galore for less. Downside: You have to bother your friend for it, and hope they do not purchase round the world plane tickets on your credit card.

so far, when I have time I am happy with the Nook, and supposedly the new color one is even better. Only downside is it did not really solve the "reading in bed problem" as I still need an external lightsource. Screen does not light up...which is good for long term reading/eye strain issues, and battery life.

Also, still a bit "old school" in that I like the book. But the ease of acquiring books, and cheaper price makes me more eager to get books to read. Also if you travel it is a huge bonus. Plus you can download newspapers or magazines which is nice if you want to read on a flight or long bus trip.

I read using the Kindle app on my iPod touch. I've mapped my Amazon account to India, since I have an Indian credit card for payment. When I search for Kindle books on Amazon, it automatically looks into the Indian site and I pay accordingly. Maybe you could try the same with Amazon US? Somehow I did not need to do any IP masking hacks for this to work.

I am reading on the iPad and love it, however I'm in Seattle now, and don't know about getting books in BsAs. I'll let you know in 2 weeks when I'm there.
Nancy

I have a Sony ebook reader. If you get one (any ebook reader) Calibre is great conversion/ebook management software (it's free!) and mobileread.com is a great site about ebook readers of all types and tons of free books and what not.

I have a Kindle, 3g/wifi version and it works fine. 3g coverage is worldwide. I have a UK Amazon account and I can download books here in Argentina.

You can use a Kindle here. I've been looking into it as my mom wanted to get one for me for Xmas. From what I know, you want to be sure to get an international edition (available n the US). You can DL from Argentina altho there may be a surcharge. You can get around this by simply DLing to your computer and then transferring them onto the Kindle yourself.

I'm not positive on the specifics, I just found out that it can do what I want it to from a friend here using one, and voila.

another sony reader owner here...the sony is far more flexible when it comes to file formats and that's why I chose it over the kindle.

the other thing worth looking into is the fact that amazon have hugely increased the price of kindle books this year. Last year, most were going for 6 to 8 bucks but looking at some on there this evening, the bestsellers are now retailing for around 11-12. I have seen some kindle books selling for $15!

I am another sony reader owner - PRS-650, bought it a when it had just come out a couple of months ago.. and have used it for the last couple of months while travelling in eygpt and asia and in general have been very happy with it.
I have about 10 novels on it, 3 lonely planets, and all my air tickets, contacts etc.. saved me alot of weight with books i didnt need to drag around !!!

I looked at all the main brands/models, and the thing i liked about the sony was the metal case, touch screen, on screen keyboard instead of all the little buttoms like the kindle, battery life, and amount of different ebook formats it can read..
The thing i didnt like so much is the price, US$229 in NYC, which is alot more that the same size kindle.. but i guess it will come down in price over time - the old model (PRS-600) has been as low as US$119.. And viewing lonely planets was a pain as they are in PDF format and would have to put into landscape mode to view as text at same size as paper book as was to small otherwise..

If anyone is interested maybe we could have a ebook exchange !!!!!

Back