anyone want anything brought from the US

I just brought (into EZE two weeks ago from NYC) 2 laptops in one bag - my old mac, and a new PC.

I was stopped at aduanas. The scary man questioned me about why I had two laptops, wanted to know when they were purchased, who they were for, and he wanted to see them. I told them one was very old and a mac, the other new and PC, and that I needed one for work while I was here, and the other was a personal computer. He looked at my mac (scratched and dirty and clearly used!), ran his fingers over it, and told me to move on. He didn't ask further about the brand new PC, and didn't want to see it. Bueno!

The pre-declaring thing is a great idea - I will do that going forward!

..it is much easier for an expat to bring in electronics than a native. A friend of mine (Argentine) came for a visit and had to declare all he had with him while leaving Argentina (electronics)...and show the same paper upon his return. If he had anything with him...not on the list, he would have to pay tax. The crazy thing is..he was under the impression this was some kind of US export tax on electronics that he had to pay...he never thought his own government would be charging him taxes for materials he needs for work and his education!

Back