anyone want anything brought from the US

....and let's say one was to enter with various amounts of equipment... like (2) laptops, a router and maybe two small network file storage units...

I've made it through with two laptops with no issue but now need to take it up a level.

What are the pitfalls?
VAT tax?
import tax?

Confiscated gear?

darmanad said:
Exercise caution at entry customs with too much of any hi tech equipment lest the authorities calculate you are exceeding legal limits ($500) or presume you are importing for resale.

I plan on doing this in one month:

1) Come back to Buenos Aires with LOTS of new camera equipment.
2) Place all of it in a camera back like a photographer would have
3) Place all boxes (broken down) & books in a suitcase
4) Have business cards printed with me as a photographer

The fact that I am heavily into photography, am taking a course, and would like to get even more into photography is most of the reason that I am doing this. I am NOT buying in the States for resale here. So that should make a difference when push comes to shove.

COMPUTERS:

I would think that if you have software & stuff on the computers and they are not in boxes for resale, that it shouldn't be a problem. I can't imagine anywhere where they would charge you extra for used items.

When I was living in Buenos Aires... I came and left several times with at least 20K in camera and computer equipment.. was never a problem. Was all in my camera bag...no boxes of course... no need to keep them.

Hi, just so people know, a friend picked up a laptop for me five days ago & customs stopped & charged him AR$2023 pesos on top of the US$1200 paid for the purchase of the laptop. Be careful...in my case though my laptop is very large (18.4" LCD) so it stood out like dog's b$@#s so they went for it. I did get a little receipt for it though...how nice of them to at least try to make me feel better knowing that the money went straight to Christina & not to be shared amongst themselves....I'm still angry about it.

They checked to see when the laptop's OS was activated, in this case the night before. And they claimed that if you are caught lying to them in any way that they can then charge three times the tax if they so choose to.

EDIT:

If you are bringing in a new laptop then I would suggest that not only do you make the laptop look used, I would go as far as loading Ubuntu Linux on it (now days it's actually easier than installing MS windows) so that they can't just go in & check how long the OS has been running for....(imagine them trying to use the command line in Linux). Download a copy of Ubuntu 10.4 & make sure you have a recovery disk made of the original factory installation programs & OS before you wipe the disk & load Linux to the whole hard disk. This is not necessarily going to stop them every time but it will cut down on the chances of getting robbed by them.

Best of luck to all.

notebook.fix said:
Hi, just so people know, a friend picked up a laptop for me five days ago & customs stopped & charged him AR$2023 pesos on top of the US$1200 paid for the purchase of the laptop. Be careful...in my case though my laptop is very large (18.4" LCD) so it stood out like dog's b$@#s so they went for it. I did get a little receipt for it though...how nice of them to at least try to make me feel that the money went to Christina & not to be shared amongst themselves....I'm still angry about it.

They checked to see when the laptop's OS was activated, in this case the night before. And they claimed that if you are caught lying to them in any way that they can then charge three times the tax if they so choose to.

Best of luck to all.

What was your friend's citizenship?

Interesting to see what they actually know how to do. I think they are pretty much on top of electronics, but not really other items.

Hi Sleuth,
My friend is a US citizen. Excuse the tone of anger in my post, it will go away soon.

Sleuth said:
What was your friend's citizenship?

Interesting to see what they actually know how to do. I think they are pretty much on top of electronics, but not really other items.

I had an interesting experience coming through with two laptops. When the customs officer at the final xRay, saw that I was carrying two laptops she demanded I open all my suitcases...so I did, then took out my US, "Certificate of Registration for Personal Items taken Abroad - 19 CFR 148.1" form listing the items i was carrying. She grabbed it from my hands...vanished for five minutes....holding up the whole line...then came back and said, "Okay, you can go" never once looking at anything in my bags.

I have no idea what she did while she was away....but well the form seemed to work.

Take the time to go by customs and predeclare any large ticket items, Laptops, Cameras, Electronics etc etc.... Just remember to keep the registration papers with you for the return trip. Once you fill it out and the Customs officer stamps it....it's good till the paper isn't legible any.

I can't say I've ever been stopped and I'm usually traveling with 2 laptops, 2 cellphones, blackberry, ipod, camera, etc. Granted, they're all mine and used. This last time I had a video camera for a friend and they didn't ask - but again, I had taken it out of the box/packaging and it was in its travel bag.

The only time I've been questioned was when I brought back a brand-new, very expensive camera lens for a friend of mine which I had left the bubble wrap on for travel. They asked me for receipt, I told them it was an Xmas gift. They asked where the camera was and when I told them in my house, they shrugged and sent me on my way.

Good advice on pre-declaring. Frankly, I don't/wont bring back electronics anymore unless it's a very close friend - not worth the hassle.

Back