Apartment for a Newbie

What really irritates me is those bathrooms that have pretentious 'free-standing' wash basins where the water splashes all over you - oh and 'gold' bath taps - I've seen plenty of those in my Buenos Aires apartment search.

It would be refreshing to see herds of savvy bathroom and kitchen installers sweeping majestically across Barrio Norte - I imagine that anyone with those skills could do very well there.

As a comparator, take a look at this 3 bed, 2 bath 100m squared centrally air-conditioned apartment in a good area of Barcelona, which is considered to be an expensive City to live in.

Pristine condition with an enviable kitchen/bathroom set up - all for 2000 Euros. I found this within 5 minutes of searching on Idealista.

I am sensing that I would be lucky to find a similar apartment in Buenos Aires.
Barcelona has a functional Banking system, NO crazy long-term laws, sensible laws, stable currency, no 150% a year inflation. You're comparing apples with Tesla.

Prices have fallen 17 Quarters in a row. They have finally bottomed. Now they are going up. The rich get richer in Argentina. And the ex-pats that are renting get poorer. Most people that don't know Argentina can't figure it out. Ex-pats that come here when it's cheap need to lock in a good long term rate when they can. Or if you're on a limited budget or fixed pension, you better lock in a long-term lease now. Tourism is also going to be on the upswing. It may take a few quarters but it will happen. Then you're going to be competing with them as well.

The saving grace for ex-pats is I think the USA economy is in for a sh*t storm in 2024 and 2025. Commercial real estate is going to crash hard as ARM's reset. It's already happening. Small and medium banks are going to fold into FDIC protection. I believe this will cause a ripple in the economy so tourism will not be helped and I don't think Americans will be traveling much. They can't even afford to buy groceries now.

Last edited:
To quote the great Basil Fawtly:

"May I ask what you were expecting to see in a database of photos of Buenos Aires apartment kitchens? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically..."

Barcelona it ain't.
Herds of choriplaneros majestically blocking 9 de Julio, more like.
To quote Guille Aquino "y el Obelisco lleno de pelotudos dos veces por semana"

It would be refreshing to see herds of savvy bathroom and kitchen installers sweeping majestically across Barrio Norte - I imagine that anyone with those skills could do very well there.
It's partly cultural, I think. The cuisine is pretty ordinary here, in general. Home cooking isn't widely practised, certainly in Barrio Norte. The craze in many wealthier countries to install a fabulous kitchen and fill it with appliances (but never actually cook) has never caught on here (and it's probably not just the money issue). In Barrio Norte, I've several times had the experience of entering an apartment reasonably well-appointed in every way other than the kitchen, which is no better than the laundry. Culturally, I think are both regarded as work areas, not features.

I take your point. I'm just looking for an inoffensive space to cook pasta in, but there are many in Battersea who think that a kitchen is just not a kitchen without a £50K refit, an Aga and an artisan bread maker. Somewhere along the way, values have become distorted.

I take your point. I'm just looking for an inoffensive space to cook pasta in, but there are many in Battersea who think that a kitchen is just not a kitchen without a £50K refit, an Aga and an artisan bread maker. Somewhere along the way, values have become distorted.
Not really. Distorted? In Madrid and Barcelona and pretty much many other places in first world countries you can leverage and get mortgages. Argentina is one of the few places you have to literally arrange to bring fresh crisp $100 US bills to closing. It's very surreal and there is no free way to get cash there. NOTHING is easy in Argentina.

100% cash invested into those properties and renovations. Argentina is a beast of it's own. Most ex-pats coming to Buenos Aires or even living there for years don't really truly understand things. They just see cheapo steaks and meals and they don't really care about anything else. They don't care if BA burns around them and people are starving and have to leave it's shores. They just want a great "blue dollar". They don't give a rat's ass about Argentina or it's citizens. They are in it for them. It's ME, ME, ME. These are the people that will leave Argentina the quickest, IMHO.

Attachments

• Cash-From-Closing-2.jpg
    Cash-From-Closing-2.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 5
Paying for an apartment in 100 dollar bills? The bodyguarding sector must be booming, either that or people are handcuffing briefcases full of cash to their wrists.

Paying for an apartment in 100 dollar bills? The bodyguarding sector must be booming, either that or people are handcuffing briefcases full of cash to their wrists.
That's usually how it's done. Sans bodyguards.

Barcelona and Battersea it ain't.

Remarkable. Reminds me of the archetypal image of a spiv who flies from London to Zurich to make a 'deposit', hoping to God that he isn't mugged or otherwise relieved of his briefcase along the way...

NO actually I purchased hundreds of millions of dollars worth of properties in Buenos Aires and typically it was me and my business partner carrying around cash in backpacks believe it or not. We didn't even trust the security transfer firms. We didn't trust ANY ONE. They had limited or NO insurance coverage at the time and so corrupt you had to worry about telling their friends so we'd carry it around in backpacks. It's CRAZY and unbelievable but true. I'm writing an autobiography on my life and has many crazy stories.

Maybe 10% of our transactions were with wire transfer when the seller was selling and could accept transfers from other foreign buyers. But even when the seller offered to allow the buyer to wire, the buyer often times had CASH under their mattress!

Very very surreal. So that's why when you see prices the way they are you really have to understand how difficult things are there. It's not as easy as it appears when you see the cheapo steaks and meals. Just imagine that property owner of the Airbnb paid $100 US bills sitting across from the buyer in almost all cases.

I've purchased real estate all over the world and I own real estate in many countries in Latin America. Even though in those markets they didn't have mortgages, I could still wire in a wire. Argentina is crazy!

And there is NO trust and faith in ANYONE. I once bought a building that I turned into a hotel. The seller of the building demanded cash!! The building was $3.5 million US dollars. The closing was in the basement of a large bank in Recoleta. We were literally in the basement and there were vacuum packed SEALED packages direct from the US Federal Reserve Bank. Guess what? The seller demanded to count all the cash! It took hours and hours. Many times they don't even trust money counters as bills can be bleached with $1 bills and reprinted. It will pass money counters as the paper is real. It will pass those markers too and the quality is really great!

So think of all these poor Airbnb owners that went through all of this. When you look at this, the prices you're paying on Airbnb are super cheap.

My friend owns a transport company that arranges to pick up cash from closings. He charges a set % to move the money. Well he went to a property closing and was transporting it. He rides a motorcycle. He has been doing this 20 years without problems. The other day for the first time he got robbed at gunpoint. Obviously either the buyer, the lawyer, accountant informed their thug friends that money was going to be transported. He got robbed of $225,000 US from the closing.

THESE are the type of things most Argentines buying/selling have to deal with.

Last edited:
Back