Apartment rental....is this normal?

No this not unheard of but it's a lot of money and I wouldn't pay it all up front. Tell them you will pay two months at a time, if they don't want to rent to you find somebody else.

Wherever you rent make sure to record the serial numbers of the bills you pay with. A dear friend of mine was paying 3 months rent on an apartment off of Las Herras around Junin. His wife was having a baby but didn't have her visa for the states yet so she would be having it there. He's pretty well off and can work anywhere he has broad band so he rented a place big enough for her whole family (pretty much, she has a really big family) it was 4 bedrooms I think. The rent was U$S 1200 a month with a one month deposit, payable in advance. I was already living down there so I told him to make sure he did a THOROUGH inspection of the place, making sure that EVERYTHING on the property sheet he was signing for was there and undamaged. Before heading down from SEA he stops at BofA and gets 48 crisp new $100.00 dollar bills puts them in a few envelops and tapes them to his body, (Never under any circumstances flash cash or discuss cash at EZE) drives to the airport and starts his journey.

When he gets to BsAs he and his wife meet the agent at the apartment. He has her supervise the counting of the money while he checks out the apartment, noting even cracks in the plaster on the sheet. His wife is like 8.5 months preggers and and has to go to the bathroom during the examination of the money. When she returns the agent has two stacks of bills, buenos y truchos. It seems that 6 of the 100 dollar bills were counterfeit. My buddy can't believe it, he got them out of the B of A in SEA the day before so he looks at them and sure enough 6 of the bills were fake. I saw them later, they were and bad ones at that. The agent had slipped them into the mix while his wife went to the bathroom. Amazing really if you think about it, she came to the meeting prepared to rob him if he gave her the chance, he did, so she did.

Later I was telling this story to my girlfriend, an adorable protenya, and she said "Mi amor, why didn't he just show her the copies of the money?" I said "what?" She (girlfriend) said, "the photo copies of the money he made before he went there, or at least the list of serial numbers of the bills he gave her." When she saw the confused look on my face she asked me "Don't you make copies of your money before you pay your bills in La Tierra de las Gordas?" I told her that making copies of money in La Tierra de las Gordas is against the law and most copiers have software in them inhibiting users from copying tender with it. She thought that was one of the craziest things she had ever heard of.

So many people want to make the differences in the cultures about right and wrong when it's not it's just about differences. In Argentina you are expected to be an adult and protect yourself. If somebody can rob you, it's your responsibility to stop them, not theirs to not do it. Sofi got it that my buddy wasn't stupid he was ignorant. Most, not all, but certainly most portenyos I've known sort of divide the world into three groups. Those that may be cheated indiscriminately, those that can only be screwed for great amounts of money, and those that may not be screwed at all.

The asado test will tell you which group you are in. If you have never been to an asado with them you are in group one and may be cheated at any moment. If you have been to an asado for a wedding, or cousins birthday (big party) then you are in group two and only need to be careful in transactions bigger than 3 months rent. If you have been to a family asado (one that their mothers, or girlfriends mothers are there) then like Frado Corleone you are safe as long as the mother lives or they are with the girlfriend.

You can bitch about the culture or immerse yourself in it, the choice is yours. Once people get it that it's still the wild west there then it gets to be fun. Remember, if they haven't been to an asado your mom was at the rules apply to them equally. They will bitch when you cheat them but their friends will hear about it and then you are less likely to be cheated because you're no longer low hanging fruit, you are somebody to be respected. You are no longer alguien pelotudo, you may still be alguien boludo but you have taken a step up.

Be careful, have fun, dance tango, eat beef, drink wine. Wave your hands around when you talk (even on the cell phone), gawk a little at a beautiful women walking down the street. Maybe yell out, Las Puertas del cielo son abiertos xq hay angeles en la calle. Cheat somebody. Have an adventure. I haven't been there for three years and I miss it more every day.

mkj52 said:
Hi all

I have been in contact with bahabitat in regard to renting an apartment for 6 months from October 2011. They have several in my range but require a 20% unrefundable deposit and full payment in cash on day of arrival. As this is more than $7000 US I am reluctant to do this as I then have no leverage if there are problems. Also that amount in cash cannot be drawn from the bank in one day.
Do none of the rental companies operate on monthly payment and/or credit card payment??? Would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks
Michael

I've seen that happen, but I chose to pass on it. There are plenty of other agencies to work with that permit you to pay month-to-month. I stayed at one place for 6 months and just recently left. When I was shopping around, I found plenty of good options. But I was surprised at one company that not only required everything up front, but does not permit a showing of the apartment. No need for blind faith like that. Never know, apartment might not be a good fit for you and if you've paid $7000, it might be a hassle to get it back if you opted to leave early.

I definitely recommend like some of the others here for your to come down first and look at the places you're thinking of renting. There are a ton of rental companies to choose from, and they all operate differently.

Also, sounds a little pricey.

Hello
Pay monthly when you are here, half buenos Aires is on rent, when you are here stay for a few days at a hotel, take your time, see the flat, pay per month, and non refundable deposit is a rip off also don´t show you are in a hurry even in that case and you will find the flat you are looking for.
Reina

the only reason to pay 6 months up front cash is if you are getting a significant discount from the normal asking price.

but be warned. if you haven't actually seen the apartment, it could be a huge disappointment. photos can be very very deceiving.

you are much better off going to a hotel or renting something for a month and then moving again.. you will typically pay 20% to an agent for their fee for a 1 month rental and then there is some negotiating room between 1 month's rent and/or 10-20% depending on the agency. If you find an agency that takes credit cards, be prepared to pay more. you should expect to pay 1 month in security deposit which you will get back if there are no damages.

good luck.
Wendy

A couple of posters have advised prospective renters to see the flat first. How does one do that? Temporary rental agents won't show flats. If you're flat-hunting from abroad, they won't even let you appoint a friend in BA to check out the flat for you before you put your non-refundable rental deposit down on it. They won’t show even if your friend makes herself available to the agent at any hour and day that's that’s convenient to the agent. Agents’ stock reason for refusing to permit a viewing is that they......won’t do it!

That non-refundable rental deposit becomes, in fact, the price of looking at EACH flat while hunting for one!

I’ve found no way around this.

of course, most appartments are rented on a monthly basis.
it looks like the 20% is not a deposit, but an unrefundable commission which is normal on a temp contract (less than 6 months)
propose another deal to them or look at other rental agencies

mkj52 said:
Hi all

I have been in contact with bahabitat in regard to renting an apartment for 6 months from October 2011. They have several in my range but require a 20% unrefundable deposit and full payment in cash on day of arrival. As this is more than $7000 US I am reluctant to do this as I then have no leverage if there are problems. Also that amount in cash cannot be drawn from the bank in one day.
Do none of the rental companies operate on monthly payment and/or credit card payment??? Would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks
Michael

Don't do it!!!! It will ruin your experience. I did thinking I was preparing in advance especially since I had kids. The place was a dive and I lost all my cash. I ended up going to Craigslist locally anyway to rent a much better place for much less in a better neighborhood. It is standard practice to take advantage of new expats. Don't do it. If unsure hesitate.

Lovin BA said:
Don't do it!!!! Don't do it. If unsure hesitate.

DON'T DO IT ! Plain and simple !

Furthermore like stated above it gives bad habits to those agencies, even if they won't run away with the money.

Also, creating such habits among agencies will lead to dramas : an agency run by crooks that will take advantage of this habit to cash 7.000 USD and run away with the money.
Because if this habit takes root, here is what will happen (That will soon be 8 years I live here) : One or a few crooks set up an agency, create a nice website, place fake recommendations on tripadvisor (including negative ones to make it look "real"). The turist arrives, pays the 7.000 USD, but what he doesn't know is that the agency just paid one month to the owner.
Now multiply by 5 to 10. After one month, someone rings at the door : that's the LL who asks for the next monthly rent. The turist replies "Perrrrooo ccchooo hhééé paaguaaadooo seiissseee mesessesss de aaaddeelantehhh". You know what follows right, and you would have to fight to stay in the apartment. Meanwhile, the crooks have run away, robbing 5 to 10 times the same way = they are happy with 100.000/150.000 pesos.

Don't do it : for you, and for the future visitors !

Plain and simple ;)

Sockhopper said:
A couple of posters have advised prospective renters to see the flat first. How does one do that? Temporary rental agents won't show flats. If you're flat-hunting from abroad, they won't even let you appoint a friend in BA to check out the flat for you before you put your non-refundable rental deposit down on it. They won’t show even if your friend makes herself available to the agent at any hour and day that's that’s convenient to the agent. Agents’ stock reason for refusing to permit a viewing is that they......won’t do it!

That non-refundable rental deposit becomes, in fact, the price of looking at EACH flat while hunting for one!

I’ve found no way around this.

That's just not true. If an agency refuses to show you the apartment, particularly in the case of a long-term rental, without offering a valid reason then that should be a red flag. There are many agencies that will show and do show apartments to their clients.

Back