Apartment rental....is this normal?

speak to my agent crsistian tavano on 1536961199, he manages 3 flats for me in palermo soho and dorrego and i'm sure its not all down on the first day

richard

Sockhopper said:
A couple of posters have advised prospective renters to see the flat first. How does one do that? Temporary rental agents won't show flats. If you're flat-hunting from abroad, they won't even let you appoint a friend in BA to check out the flat for you before you put your non-refundable rental deposit down on it. They won’t show even if your friend makes herself available to the agent at any hour and day that's that’s convenient to the agent. Agents’ stock reason for refusing to permit a viewing is that they......won’t do it!

That non-refundable rental deposit becomes, in fact, the price of looking at EACH flat while hunting for one!

I’ve found no way around this.
NOT TRUE: Temporary rental agencies will show suites - the good ones anyway. I've viewed at least a dozen, some with other tourists and some on my own. If the agency refuses, find another agency. Reynolds does show suites, and so does Best in BA.

I rent out my place in BA through an agency - and although I would always ask for 1 months - 6 weeks deposit, to cover breakages etc (pretty average - 1 month is requested in London - in Switzerland it is 3 months), I think it is crazy that the agency wants all 6 months paid upfront - and a 20% of the total amount paid now. At the moment Bs As has loads of apartments available - so you are far better waiting, using craigslist - or even better, when you do arrive in Bs As - stay in a B&B for 1-2 weeks and look for a place. Good luck!

The reason that agents are reluctant to show properties, AFAIK, is because they are afraid that you will cut out the middleman. Especially because quite a few of the apartments are basically entire batches of rental properties, sometimes entire buildings. That is why on the websites, you will never find an address.

If you are already living here, it is far easier to indeed cut out the middleman by hunting down the real owners - one person less whose scruples you are wholly unsure of. When I'd just gotten here, I saw on a website a bunch of apartments that were obviously from one building, checked which floor was the highest in the building, then just walked to the appropriate block - there was only one building which could fit the bill. Speaking directly to the owners is not only a bit cheaper, but far less headache - more accurate info, no honest ones will have any problems showing you their own property, etc.

Bottom line - as people here all suggest, get over here first, shake off your absolutely fresh tourist impression, and deal with facts on the ground.

Hi All

I would like to thank very much all who have contributed info regarding my initial question.
What I will now do is either book an aprtment for a maximum of one month through a good agency then take it as it comes or just book into a hotel and look once I arrive.

Thanks
Michael
mkj52

ben said:
The reason that agents are reluctant to show properties, AFAIK, is because they are afraid that you will cut out the middleman. Especially because quite a few of the apartments are basically entire batches of rental properties, sometimes entire buildings. That is why on the websites, you will never find an address.

Not true. Again if agencies are unwilling to show you an apartment, something is wrong there. Run.

ben said:
If you are already living here, it is far easier to indeed cut out the middleman by hunting down the real owners - one person less whose scruples you are wholly unsure of. When I'd just gotten here, I saw on a website a bunch of apartments that were obviously from one building, checked which floor was the highest in the building, then just walked to the appropriate block - there was only one building which could fit the bill. Speaking directly to the owners is not only a bit cheaper, but far less headache - more accurate info, no honest ones will have any problems showing you their own property, etc.

I have to object. Maybe I am bias because I work for a rental agency but its important to point out that working with a rental agency has its advantages and disadvantages. One major advantage with working with a real estate agency is a magical word called recourse. Reputable agencies take pride in pleasing their clients, after all one way they attract new business is through word of mouth. From a personal and work point of view the key disadvantages of renting owner direct, a) likelihood of security deposit being used towards "damages" increases b) service, i.e. repair work can be lackluster. Often times the owners are very difficult to get a hold of or are out of town. Response time from an agency is typically better. c) Language barrier d) There is no middle man looking out for your interests. Main advantage: price, although in some cases there really is no cost benefit. If an owner is recommended by a family member or friend then I say go for it. I most certainly would. But singling out owners in the manner described above is also inherently risky. You have no idea who you're dealing with.

Lastly, there are just as many scrupulous Argentine owners as there are rental agencies with dubious business practices, if not more.

There are two sides to every coin. Not all rental agencies are looking to screw their clients. That's just bad business. The key is to do your homework, because its true, some agencies are just plain awful.

Question for Lee

Awhile back you posted a reco for an agent-Andrea???--. Does that reco still hold and can you repost the contact info?
Thanks

Apartmentsba.com does all their business now with credit cards and wire transfers (to US and or Canada). They also offer some of the finest apartments in the city. Highly recommended.

jimdepalermo said:
Apartmentsba.com does all their business now with credit cards and wire transfers (to US and or Canada). They also offer some of the finest apartments in the city. Highly recommended.

Hmm --- unless you ever have a problem with the place you rent, then good luck to you trying to get the deposit back -- my mum and a friend of hers rented a place on Las Heras from them, had a whole bunch of problems, were told that they would be moved, still had problems etc etc etc -- anyway, they ended up losing their deposit... so like any company, take a recommendation with a grain of salt.

Back