Apartment rental without DNI/residency

Look, the contracts are until 3 months (Temporary) or 3 years. If you sign several contracts of 3 months you can stay 3 years.

Airbnb is a ripoff in Arg. The locals know only gringos use it and you are charged accordingly. If you can avoid it and work through local channels or directly with owners.
A tango friend rented a studio three blocks from where I live for $10/night in November for a month's stay. This week tango friends from Germany are stuck in a tiny room on Av. Belgrano 1600 where they paid 36 EUROS per night (two weeks) where the kitchen is dirty and insufficiently equipped and the internet stopped working yesterday. They bought new sheets, pillow, and blanket for the bed. The host is not accommodating whatsoever. This is a "take the money and run" rental if I ever heard of one here. They're moving out tomorrow to another place on Suipacha without first consulting me about the location.

Dealing directly with an owner is preferable to being shocked when entering an Airbnb rental without knowing the dimensions and the exact location in the building.

Unfortunately, there is no longer a network of apartments for rental by tango locals to tango tourists at reasonable prices.

Airbnb is a ripoff in Arg. The locals know only gringos use it and you are charged accordingly. If you can avoid it and work through local channels or directly with owners.
I can attest to AirBnb being a ripoff, I just negotiated (today) to get out of a 2 month agreement. The owner said that it was a smoking unit with a double bed. The day I checked in I was told that I could not smoke and the bed was two twins pushed together. I complained to AirBnb and their response was....What do you want us to do? The unit was also going for $725/month. I will buy a blanket and sleep on Correintas with an empty cup to make up for the lost rent paid. :eek:)

Never been completely satisfied with any airbnb within the country. They never reflect the listing (they're dirty or the photos are from 6 years ago and the furniture is completely different or missing or the outside of the home is in disrepair now). Most popular issue is claimed good wifi but it's either poor or non working.

At first I tried to communicate directly with the owner regarding the issues but they never seemed to care. Now that I've lived in arg for some time I understand that the expectations shouldn't be high and this isn't really their highest concern.

Now if I use the service I just anticipate that things will be different from the listing when I arrive.

my experiences were all pre-pandemic, but i never had any issues with airbnbs in CABA. i used them quite often over year or so.

I can attest to AirBnb being a ripoff, I just negotiated (today) to get out of a 2 month agreement. The owner said that it was a smoking unit with a double bed. The day I checked in I was told that I could not smoke and the bed was two twins pushed together. I complained to AirBnb and their response was....What do you want us to do? The unit was also going for $725/month. I will buy a blanket and sleep on Correintas with an empty cup to make up for the lost rent paid. :eek:)

Keep us posted about the final settlement from AirBnb/ Owner. Did They agree to reimburse the 2nd. month, or what was offered? If any..!

Last edited:
Keep us posted about the final settlement from AirBnb/ Owner. Did They agree to reimburse the 2nd. month, or what was offered? If any..!
I have received a refund for the two weeks remaining on this month, I will move out on the 15th and the second month was cancelled all together. I may have caused myself a bit of a problem in that I had to scramble around a bit. But I have found a place to stay till the end of this month and things should clear up once this Holiday is over.

I have received a refund for the two weeks remaining on this month, I will move out on the 15th and the second month was cancelled all together. I may have caused myself a bit of a problem in that I had to scramble around a bit. But I have found a place to stay till the end of this month and things should clear up once this Holiday is over.

Sorry about the inconvenience, in your first week in Argentina. Seems like a fair settlement from Airbnb, other than paying you damages. It was an unfortunate miscommunication from the host about the smoking rights.

Glad your problems seem to be solved.

Thank you for your concern. I will chalk this one up to a learning experience. I hope that I do not have too many of these "Learning Experiences". I am sure I will have a few more. One thing that happened recently I went into a restaurant and asked for a menu, they showed me on a chalkboard two menus. One was for family and another for amigos. I asked for the amigos menu, much to my amusement? they ordered that and did not give me a menu to take home with me. After some back and forth I was able to explain that in the USA restaurants have menus that you can take with you and not order right then and there. We all laughed and I ended up with an order for Amigos. It was only for 1680 pesos so it was not like I bought something that I would not eat anyways. 🤣

Back