Apartments in BA

Ok. So, let's talk real numbers now for Argentines paying in pesos signing a 1 year lease. What would a nice sized 1 br (700 - 800 square feet) in a good apartment building cost on the best block in Palermo (not furnished). Let's say it has a doorman, but not necessarily other amenities like a pool or gym.

OK, this is the situation.

Doesn't matter if you are Argentinian or not - these are the rules

Temporary apartment. In Palermo - about 45 sq m - USD $800 - $1200 (and much more or less depending on quality)

Local apartment in Palermo - the same size - $1500 - $2500 pesos (again depends on many things - including landords ideals)

This issue is not if your Arg or not. The issue is if you have a guarantia or not. And most foreigners (if not all, except those with family contacts here don't) So, most foreigners have no option but to get a 'temporary' apartment - yep, maybe it's not temporary, maybe they are here many years - but that is the term used.

Locals with no guarantia experience the same - but they are fewer - as they have family/friend contacts.

I hope that clarifys things a little

Also, I forgot to answer you query about 1 year leases

Officialy there is no 1 year lease in Argentina
-for local rentals with guarantia - it's a 2 year contract
- for temporary rentals the law is a 6 month contract - but this can vary with negotiations with the landlord. e.g. many people only come for 1 month and negotiate a price on that basis. Others are here for a longer time..e.g 2 years and negotiate a discount for this - not always - but usually with a 6 month contract and then negotiate on renewal.
Sorry, it's not set in stone - but these are the general rules here

Everyone has to have a guarantia - whether it's your first job or you are far up the food chain. Occasionally, a landlord will waive that for a tenant who will pay at least a year of rent in advance but that's not a certainty by any means.

Re prices: go look at the classified on Clarin or La Nacion which will give you a good overview.

For an unfurnished, large 1 BR in a nice area, with a doorman, the prices Dolly mentioned are probably pretty close. I would estimate at least 2000 pesos, probably closer to 2500. Assume building expenses of at least 400 on top of that. Your gas/utility/internet/etc will probably cost you around 250 pesos a month. So you're probably spending btwn 600 and 700 USD a month just for the apt.

Then furnish your apt. Want a flatscren tv? At lest 3000 pesos or more. Queen size bed will cost you anywhere from 2000 to 4000 pesos. 2 person couch, 2000 pesos. Table and 4 chairs - probably another few thousand pesos, etc. Certainly you can get them cheaper if you find a moving sale or search around for used stuff or low quality furniture but those prices above, I took right from falabella.

citygirl said:
For an unfurnished, large 1 BR in a nice area, with a doorman, the prices Dolly mentioned are probably pretty close. I would estimate at least 2000 pesos, probably closer to 2500. Assume building expenses of at least 400 on top of that. Your gas/utility/internet/etc will probably cost you around 250 pesos a month. So you're probably spending btwn 600 and 700 USD a month just for the apt.

Hey, $600 for a luxury apt. is pretty good. If I was up the food chain $7,200 upfront for the year is really not a lot of money.

sab15 said:
Hey, $600 for a luxury apt. is pretty good. If I was up the food chain $7,200 upfront for the year is really not a lot of money.

Keep in mind that it's far from automatic that someone will accept a year in advance in lieu of a garantia. You may have to do some searching and negotiating, and you'll certainly need a decent command of Spanish or someone helping you who does.

There are some other expenses, usually a commission for the inmobiliaria and honorarios for the escribano that witnesses your lease. The standard (and only) term for an unfurnished rental is 2 years. The law says that you (the tenant) can break that lease after 6 months by paying two months' rent penalty and after one year by paying one month's rent as a penalty.

Keep in mind that most temporary rentals include all services, such as electricity, gas, telephone, cable, internet, etc. Like citygirl said, these will add at least another u$s50-60 a month. You will also usually have to pay the building expensas, which in some buildings, especially those with doormen or other amenities, can be quite expensive.

I'd say unless and until you're committed to your long term future here, you should get a temporary rental while deciding. Don't underestimate the amount of time and energy you will burn up trying to beat the system for what will ultimately, in areas like Palermo, be a fairly small difference in price all said and done.

I don't think you quite get it - that's 600 to 700 for the walls of that luxury apt. The furnishings alone will easily add quite a few thousand dollars to what you're paying out of pocket. And let's not forget the headaches of setting up all the services. And the 20% increase in rent the second year.

Like I said, if you're here and want to rent long-term and want the options to furnish and style an apt to your liking and don't mind dealing with the headaches of setting up all the services and have a plan to dispose of the furniture, et al when you leave and have access to a guarnatia, it definitely can work out better.

Me, I just shopped around for a good deal on a furnished apt that I rented directly from the owner and negotiated an even better deal. Made my life so much easier in the long-run.

Sab, Citygirl is right on, there are a lot of expenses along with the headaches of furnishing an apartment and setting up the utilities that you just can't appreciate until you run around and do it and then the owner has to calculate your wear and tear....not as simple as you think. There is a value to those things being taken care of especially for a short term.

Good quality furnishing and beddings are much more expensive here than the United States so it makes complete sense that a nicely furnished apartment will be expensive. I do not understand those who equate and imply that Argentina is third world meaning that luxury properties should be given away for a song .

Prices are due to may reasons and number one is demand for the location , metres, condition of the property , building amenities etc etc.

The most expensive city in the world for rental properties is the African city of Lagos Angola where nice apartments and houses go from US $ 10,000 a month up . You will find that many African and Asian cities that offer a lower quality of life than Buenos Aires rental prices are much higher .

http://www.howwemadeitinafrica.com/why-luanda-is-the-worlds-most-expensive-city/11369/

Hello
Iam a local and if a local wants a fully furnished flat that normally we don´t locals also have to pay the same price, a friend of mine that was refurbishing his house I know had to pay an expensive price but for a couple of months only. But people here don´t rent a furnished flat because we can´t afford paying such amounts.
cheers
Reina

Back