Apostille For U.s. Birth Certificate?

Can you detail the process a bit please? I'm leaving on 2/12 to Europe. Just have in my hand the official copy, need to have it signed by County Clerk and then by Secretary of State for the apostille. Any chance that I get it on time if I do it tomorrow? Can I have it sent to Europe? How much did it cost you?
This is the process I used to get mine done, but I had it sent to an address in the United State. If your birth certificate is already notarized I don't think you have to send it to the County Clerk you may just have to send it Sacremento. From what it looks like as long as you include postage you can have it sent anywhere in the world. Here is the link hope it helps, you may have this already. http://www.sos.ca.gov/business/notary/authentication.htm

I'm fresh off the boat and need to get an apostille certification for my U.S. birth certificate. I thought I read that the U.S. embassy does it here...

The folks are correct, you must do it in your state, which in my case was a two step process of getting it notarized by the County Clerk in the county where the state capital is located and then sent to the office where the notary is done. I called ahead of time and my mom sent an S.A.S.E. for the next office, and the notary folks were nice enough to drop it in the mail for me onto its next stop, so no one had to make the trip to the capital. But, I'm from Kentucky, and we folks just like that! : )

On another note, I recently renewed my DNI, which because I was out of the country for a year, was actually processed as a first time DNI request, "RESIDENCIA TRANMITE 1ra vez PARA MAYOR DE 16 AÑOS." When I got there with all my paperwork, including my birth certificate, they handed it right back to me and said it was unecessary. I stumbled saying that I had seen that it was required paperwork on their website, and their response was literally, "Forget about what you saw on the website." Anyone else recently told the birth certificate was not needed?

It wouldn't hurt to check at Migraciones, but it's best to do it with a TURNO, otherwise you just get the guy at Ventanilla 7 No-Mercosur who will quickly answer your question while not looking you in the face in such a way that it leaves you wondering and worrying whether he actually answered your question or was just trying to move you along (though he probably answered your question, seems to be a nice, efficient guy who spends the day herding us around!).

The folks are correct, you must do it in your state, which in my case was a two step process of getting it notarized by the County Clerk in the county where the state capital is located and then sent to the office where the notary is done. I called ahead of time and my mom sent an S.A.S.E. for the next office, and the notary folks were nice enough to drop it in the mail for me onto its next stop, so no one had to make the trip to the capital. But, I'm from Kentucky, and we folks just like that! : )

On another note, I recently renewed my DNI, which because I was out of the country for a year, was actually processed as a first time DNI request, "RESIDENCIA TRANMITE 1ra vez PARA MAYOR DE 16 AÑOS." When I got there with all my paperwork, including my birth certificate, they handed it right back to me and said it was unecessary. I stumbled saying that I had seen that it was required paperwork on their website, and their response was literally, "Forget about what you saw on the website." Anyone else recently told the birth certificate was not needed?

It wouldn't hurt to check at Migraciones, but it's best to do it with a TURNO, otherwise you just get the guy at Ventanilla 7 No-Mercosur who will quickly answer your question while not looking you in the face in such a way that it leaves you wondering and worrying whether he actually answered your question or was just trying to move you along (though he probably answered your question, seems to be a nice, efficient guy who spends the day herding us around!).
My birth certificate with the apostille is already on the way here. I found the website has a bunch of extra information on necessary documents too. On the website they have a huge list of documents and things I have to go through in order to get my DNI, but when I went into a small office in Floresta, the lady told me since my mother is from here all I need is her birth certificate, and mine translated with the apostille. So, I should be legal within 2 weeks.

My next question, where do I get my US birth certificate translated?

On a related note: does anybody know how long a birth certificate (and a declaration of good behaviour) is valid for aplication for DNI etc?

I.e.: I have both, but not yet with apostille. I am not sure if there is any point using these older ones (a few months) and have family back home get apostille, fedex them etc., or maybe it is better to do it all over again next visit?
Thanks!

Back