US birth certificate - needs to be apostilled?

tsuhime

Registered
Hello!

This year my partner will apply for residency through marriage to an argentinian citizen (me).

I know the FBI background check needs to be apostilled, but does his birth certificate need to be apostilled as well? I think that was the case 8 years ago, from old posts I've read here, but I don't have any updated information.

The migraciones website doesn't say anything about it.

Also, those documents need to be translated and legalized in some way?

Thanks for your help!

Edit:
So I just read at the bottom of the migraciones page, that it says "Toda documentación expedida en el extranjero deberá contar con la legalización del Consulado Argentino, sito en el país emisor del documento Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores Comercio Internacional y Culto, o Apostillada, si el país hubiera ratificado el Convenio de La Haya." and "Toda documentación expedida en idioma extranjero deberá contar con la traducción al castellano efectuada por Traductor Público Nacional (Art. 6° Ley 20.305) y legalizada por el Colegio de Traductores, excepto idioma portugués para Brasil."

So I guess it has to be after all.

Last edited:
Eight years ago the birth certificate was required for all temporary resident visas but it is no longer required. I am not sure if it is required for permanent residency based on marriage to an Argentine citizen so I suggest you double check the migraciones website.

If it is required it would have to have the Apostille and also have to be translated by a registered Argentine translator (its easy to find them all over the city) and the translation has to be legalized in Argentina (something the translator can do).

When your partner requests the FBI report be sure that he/she also requests the "certification" by the State Department. That is equivalent to the Apostille.

PS to my previous post: Your partner will also be eligible for Argentine citizenship based on your marriage. If I understand correctly, he/she might not need to have a DNI (meaning you could bypass migraciones entirely), but you would want to be sure that you can do it without a lawyer.

If your partner does not have a DNI the cost of getting citizenship with a lawyer will range from five thousand to eight thousand dollars while the cost of getting permanent residency will range from five hundred to eight hundred dollars (a big cost difference would be if you use an FBI report channeler, but that shouldn't be necessary).

PS2: Congratulations!

Last edited:
Contact Celano and Associates. They do immigration. They have all the correct information. Not free, but correct.

Back