Are Expats Leaving?

the way I get treated by taxi drivers when I have my baby in the stroller.... We don't want our kids to grow up with this environment.

You got to be kidding me. Are you trying to imply that the the Taxi drivers in NY are more polite and helpful. Taxi drivers in NY are the lowest peace of s*&t I have ever come across in my life. I personally rate the BA taxi drivers politeness level as very high especially compared to that of NY or USA in general.

I also wanted to put in a word for the poor tacheros. I've gotten nothing but good, polite service when with my baby (and in general). The last guy even got out to help me get the stroller situated while I held my baby. Anyway, I realize we all have different daily experiences here. It has been said many times that it's all about luck in this city. Sometimes I really think that's true. Just a tip: if you want to avoid run-ins with rude taxi drivers, your best bet is to call ahead for a radio taxi when possible. You will get better service 100% of the time.

I can see and respect that. Depending on the issue with health care in the US, we may keep our health care here in addition to whatever we have in the US. We will visit family and friends but I have family and we both have friends in the US as well. This is not an easy decision for anyone by any means - what I wouldn't give for a Miss Cleo!

Totally. I think I would also keep our health care going here if we were to ever move away.

I can see and respect that. Depending on the issue with health care in the US, we may keep our health care here in addition to whatever we have in the US. We will visit family and friends but I have family and we both have friends in the US as well. This is not an easy decision for anyone by any means - what I wouldn't give for a Miss Cleo!

Kate - I know several couples (Arg/US) that live in the US but keep their health insurance here and fly down here at least once a year to do all their medical treatments.

As for the rest - well, the fact is very few "expats" are actually expats. The statistic escapes me but something like 90% don't last more than 3 years and that has always been the case.

I do think you're seeing fewer tourists (according to my friends in the apt rental/tourism biz) since it is no longer a cheap destination and those that are here are leaving earlier than in the past as their funds run out.

Long-term - I know quite a few long termers that are leaving or talking about it for the reasons oft stated: security, increased costs, etc.

I don't think we'll leave but as I've mentioned before, after the birth of the twins, we started talking about it for the first time. There are a lot of great things about Argentina and it would be hard to be so far from the OH's family (we're very close to all of them). But I don't want to worry about safety or opportunities for my kids and that is an issue here (at least now). We'll see what the future holds.

We are planning to be off at the end of the year, as long as my girlfriends visa gets approved. She is actually more keen to leave than me, being from Tucumán its probably been easier on her than if she was porteña given she has been away from her family and a lot of her oldest friends for almost 3 years now. Although we earn in pesos here and certainly haven´t done much saving :p we can afford to eat and live a reasonable sort of existence.

For us its a combination of factors, including the financial side. Life here isn't the easiest, but over time personally I have gotten more accustomed to some of the stuff that annoyed me at first but have found myself getting more frustrated with the economy/political side of things as I come to understand it more. The insecurity is really a killer though, my girlfriends store in Palermo Soho has been robbed twice in the past 2 weeks plus then someone trying to rob her and her colleague closing the store on a 3rd occasion -shes already an extremely jumpy person (even for an Argentine) and it really affects her. Shes scared to go to work and has come home crying on each of those 3 occasions, its not a nice way to live.

We also worry about what would happen bringing a family up here, what the future brings and this is financial as well. We are still pretty young and want to have a family, I can't imagine how much we would worry with the insecurity and kids here. And then, if things don't improve and/or one day we decided we want to leave could we then be in a position to set ourselves up having lived on pesos for x no of years?

Having said that, I have had a had a blast - the city is good fun, the people (on the whole) are as well.

Just a question for the Americans, is healthcare really that bad in the US? I have never lived in the US, but do people really leave/not want to go back purely for the health system?

As for the rest - well, the fact is very few "expats" are actually expats. The statistic escapes me but something like 90% don't last more than 3 years and that has always been the case.

Do you have to live here for 3 years to be an "expat"? I am here for work not tourism/travel (and in my chosen career/profesional field), earn in pesos, work for the Argentine wing of a multinational with 99% Argentines, am subject to Argentine labour laws, live here legally and have so for 2 years, have a DNI (extranjero), speak Spanish ok and have an Argentine girlfriend. If I am not an expat, then what am I? :p

Just a question for the Americans, is healthcare really that bad in the US? I have never lived in the US, but do people really leave/not want to go back purely for the health system?

If you lack a good insurance plan or money, it is probably the worst healthcare system of any developed nation. If you have money and/or a good health insurance, it is probably the best healthcare system in the world.

If you lack a good insurance plan or money, it is probably the worst healthcare system of any developed nation. If you have money and/or a good health insurance, it is probably the best healthcare system in the world.

And how much does a decent health plan cost you? If your not elderly and relatively healthy?

And how much does a decent health plan cost you? If your not elderly and relatively healthy?

There are many variables, like co-pay, maximum coverage limits, in-network vs. out-of-network physicians, etc...But I think US$10,000 a year is pretty typical.

Back