Are Expats Leaving?

If you can afford to bomb people in the middle east you can afford decent healthcare for your country.

The reality is that we can't afford either. So can't Europe. We are all broke. Really broke.

The reality is that we can't afford either. So can't Europe. We are all broke. Really broke.

Broke? Broken by who? A banking elite that thinks the peasants are getting too much of the pie and aspire to be more like China?
How can the country with the biggest economy in the world be broke? They want you to believe there is no money so you accept the cuts backs on welfare and quality of life.

Re US Healthcare: I call myself jokingly a "healthcare exile". After surviving breast cancer and having had state of the art care provided by health insurance, I lost the health insurance when I divorced. To my horror, no one wanted to insure me because of my being a cancer survivor. No one would consider insuring me for less than $2000/month, if they would talk to me at all! And that was five years ago. So I left the US to stay healthy by maintaining checkups etc. here with my excellent health insurance that is affordable ($250/month) and has no copays or deductibles.
Not only are the monthly premiums very expensive in the US but so are all the drugs, procedures, and out of pocket expenses. Medications are four times what they are here. And that's with insurance!
I had good care in the US but felt all too often that the docs were practicing "malpractice prevention medicine". So many decisions were made defensively to prevent possible suits down the road. And the economics of billing means they spend maybe at most 15 minutes with you. Here I have had at least a half dozen appointments that lasted from 30-60 minutes. I've also had two chronic conditions diagnosed here that had gone untreated and un diagnosed in the US. In the US medicine is big business and it is what is the worst about US healthcare. Here the the doctors treat you like extended family or a neighbor and almost always give you their cell phone numbers. They're practicing medicine for the calling, not the money.

I hope you are feeling better.
I also have found much better healthcare here, at a much better price.
Even my dog escaped 2 unnecessary, painful and expensive knee surgeries by moving here when we did. The vets here correctly diagnosed his problem as being in his hips, not his knees. The vets in Fla completely missed it.
I'd like to return to the US in a couple of years but the poor state of healthcare there will likely make me go somewhere else.
Wishing you continued good health.

here with my excellent health insurance that is affordable ($250/month) and has no copays or deductibles.

@lacoqueta how much are u paying in pesos per month? which plan? I am paying 930 pesos a month for A6 plan of Hospital Aleman. But next year, I am thinking of something better.

I pay 583 for the most basic Swiss Medical... some co-pays here and there but it's peanuts!! $20 copay is ~$3 usd at the gyno. In the states the co-pay would be $40USD just for the visit, not including the tests, procedures or Rx. More half of my monthly premium here. ¡¡Unbelievable!!

@Ceviche: I think it's up to 1800 pesos/month now for OSDE plan 310 which is what I have been using. No copays or deductibles but you pay for your meds which are discounted deeply if you have chronic conditions. Other plans and insurers are cheaper but this allows me to go to whatever hospital and most doctors participate. Downside is you're not covered outside of Argentina.

There are good things and bad things wherever you live, but I like the cultural climate of Buenos Aires, with so many things going on. I find that quite unique and that's why I am here. Financially it's tough but that is everywhere the same. Via internet I know what's going on in the rest of the world, and I don't have the idea I'm missing out on anything worth my while.

Also I think there is a major shift going on and in the end Argentina may come out on top. Naturally it's a rich country. The lack of success is not only to blame on Argentina either. I mean we just had a good show of power politics, when this plane with Evo Morales was forced to stay in Austria for 14 hours. Not that I want to bring the NSA leak into this thread, but just to illustrate how powerful certain forces really are. There is enough reason to assume that there is some sabotage going on behind the curtains that prevents Argentina to become a too powerful nation.

I had a conversation the other day with some locals here about Morales and the conclusion was that whatever you may think of the guy, he is an elected President after all. You have to show some respect. If you don't care about that, then the next question is, can you imagine what those powers would do to ordinary folks like you and me, if you happen to stand slightly in the way?

Therefore it's good that Latin America stands up for that. It's also about the human rights of you and me. Everybody still remenbers the junta days, so they are not so complacent about justified fear for state oppression. They take that serious and so they should.

PS your signature link does not work Steve.

Therefore it's good that Latin America stands up for that. It's also about the human rights of you and me. Everybody still remembers the junta days, so they are not so complacent about justified fear for state oppression. They take that serious and so they should.

Don't forget that the "State Oppression" started about 2 years BEFORE the Junta under Isabelita. Disappearing didn't miraculously start in 1976 after the military coup. It started under a Peron. It's a Peronista practice in origin in Argentina. A popularly elected Vice-President->turned->President was in power when all of this started.

PS- I don't have insurance anywhere, so there's that. Fortunately I'm fairly healthy, or I'd be dead.

Back