Are people finally getting fed up? New petition going around

I'd be careful with any online petitions. With the way CFK works, she will take any names on public petitions and probably these people will get hassled if they live in Argentina.

I'd be leery about giving your name out at all to anything related to complaining with the government. Also, I think it's foolish for people to participate in newspaper interviews or any articles.

CFK has clearly showed she will go after any of these people.

I'd be careful with any online petitions. With the way CFK works, she will take any names on public petitions and probably these people will get hassled if they live in Argentina.

I'd be leery about giving your name out at all to anything related to complaining with the government. Also, I think it's foolish for people to participate in newspaper interviews or any articles.

I agree with you. And that's real repression for you.

earlyretirement said:

Early retirement, I generally agree with your posts but have to disagree here. Change is brought by courage. If people continue to sit back with fear of what may happen, the status quo will remain. I think this is the problem with Argentinians, they are so used to crappy governments that they are immune to the feeling and live with it.

I am not condoning doing stupid things like lighting fires in Plaza de Mayo, however I dont think we should not sign a petition in fear of the government.

trennod said:
Early retirement, I generally agree with your posts but have to disagree here. Change is brought by courage. If people continue to sit back with fear of what may happen, the status quo will remain. I think this is the problem with Argentinians, they are so used to crappy governments that they are immune to the feeling and live with it.

I am not condoning doing stupid things like lighting fires in Plaza de Mayo, however I dont think we should not sign a petition in fear of the government.

Absolutely I agree that change is brought by courage. And I do agree that things MUST change in Argentina. However, I seriously doubt signing any petition is going to work and I certainly wouldn't recommend it to my friends or family in Argentina.

I already have some Economist friends that were threatened with jail times, fines, penalties, loss of career simply by saying that the inflation is more than the false 9% the government says it is.

If you want to put your name out there on a public board by all means do it and I'd support it. But again, not something I'd recommend for anyone close to me after seeing some of the things CFK is doing.

I agree that this is a very repressive situation and government. It's a VERY sad situation as I love Argentina dearly and have many friends and family living there.

Also, remember something. EVEN if you are paying 100% legitimate taxes and 100% in white (which the vast majority of Porteños or anyone with a DNI is), you can really be put in a life changing situation if CFK sicks AFIP on you.

Have any of you had a full audit from AFIP? I have friends that have that have spoken publicly against CFK or did something that she didn't like.

So before you play "John Q. Tough Guy" you have to see how things can really play out. Imagine my father in law signs some online petition and he has a unique name. CFK has AFIP hassle him or even go to his employer and creates problems for his career.

Then he possibly can't provide for his family. Yes, this is repression but you know what? This is modern day Argentina today.

So I stand by what I wrote it's not wise to put your name out there in public forums or be interviewed in the newspaper. Unfortunately that is the reality of Argentina today. :(

I'd be scared to sign the petition and i feel terrible about it. In NYC (where I also live) I sign petitions right and left, I go on protest marches, I give elected officials hell if I feel they betrayed me. In Argentina I am just scared...

I wouldn't sign an online petition either... at least not using my real name. :p It's not about being scared, just cautious. Things are done differently here and you never know where that list is going to end up.

Eclair said:
I wouldn't sign an online petition either... at least not using my real name. :p It's not about being scared, just cautious. Things are done differently here and you never know where that list is going to end up.

Exactly..that's my point. Who knows where this list ends up. Or even if CFK didn't initiate it to get names.

It's always best to be cautious with these types of things. It's easy to say how things SHOULD be done in principle but unfortunately you have to think about things like this in Argentina with this crazy government regime in place.

Back