Are people finally getting fed up? New petition going around

Davidglen77 said:
I live right in front of Congreso, and I have never seen in the 2+ years that I have lived in this apartment, any type of violent oppression towards people at protests. I've never even seen anybody getting arrested. And protests are never past 7PM, only once until 8PM. It seems to be very controlled for now, doesn't mean it can't get out of hand though. I hope it doesn't!

Really? I remember when they were shootinging rubber bullets at the FUBA protesters right in front of congresso while people were walking to work on the sidewalk.

PhilipDT said:
Really? I remember when they were shootinging rubber bullets at the FUBA protesters right in front of congresso while people were walking to work on the sidewalk.

When was that? I have lived in this apartment since July 2010 and do not remember anything like that, I surely would have remembered it.......

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere but there is a big protest march planned Thursday night. There are 4 routes all towards plaza de mayo where there will probably be a heap of police. 1 starts at sante fe y callao at 7pm, I can´t remember the others but it should at least get some news coverage. So to answer the OP, yes people are fed up

It's about time... unfortunately the Gov has f***d up everything so much at this point.. probably too little... too late to avoid the 10 year crash.

Much as I loathe intimidation in any form, I have to agree regarding caution with this petition.
Furthermore, be sure that your every keystroke is being monitored by someone somewhere.
May sound a tad paranoid, but with today's tech, not difficult.
Back on topic; petitions in this respect are worthless. You may as well talk to the cat.
Furthermore, being an expatriate in this country with permanent residence, implies certain rights. I often wonder how those rights would be considered if one was to actively take part in anti government protests? Perhaps the thought is a little extreme, but I think you get the picture.
As time goes on, resentment will harden and I would NEVER underestimate the Argentine people.

Davidglen77 said:
When was that? I have lived in this apartment since July 2010 and do not remember anything like that, I surely would have remembered it.......
El 15 de Diciembre de 2009, en medio de serios incidentes, Rubén Hallú fue reelecto como rector de la UBA con 144 votos a favor y sólo una abstención. Mientras se realizaba la asamblea efectuada en el Congreso de la Nación, fuera de este había violentos incidentes entre la Policía y los estudiantes. Los estudiantes de la Federación Universitaria y grupos de izquierda con sus rostros tapados atacaron con piedras y gomeras a la Policía Federal, tratando de ingresar al congreso donde se realizaba la asamblea. Ante la agresión los uniformados respondieron arrojando gases lacrimógenos y balas de goma "Los asambleístas presentes en el recinto eran 158, de los cuales 14 pertenecen a la FUBA", indicó la entidad, cuya Asamblea Universitaria está integrada por 236 personas.

watching back i actually remember this on the tv and had forgotten about it completely!

There's a difference between using police to break up things like blocking a huge traffic artery that the entire city depends on, and using police to harass and/or beat up citizens because they are saying something.

Of course, it should be applied equally to all groups, and obviously that's not the case.

I know it's a "right" here to block traffic in protest, but I believe you have to get approval to do so. If so, it would easy to approve those who are approved of by Cristina and deny those who aren't. Then it becomes easy to publicly use federal police to break up a situation like the video.

I don't know what the status of the protestors' was as far as that goes, though.

One of my cues to leave Argentina will be when when I see cacerolazo protestors get beat up by hooded La Campora or Batayon Militante thugs and nothing happens to the thugs.

Back