Are people into fitness in BA?

finy

Registered
Hi, I was wondering if you can help me out with a question I am curious about.

Im wondering if their is any market for offering a personal training service to expats and maybe Argentinians?

This would either be at people's homes or local parks with all equipment brought to session wherever it may be.

Also its possible to train people out of gyms or run bootcamps.

Is there a service like this in BA and if not, do you think it might be possible?

Thank you

I have no doubt that you'd be able to find people who are interested in a personal trainer. It all depends on how much you want to charge!

This is typically a very fitness conscious city. The local gyms which are nice and have pools and offer classes can run around $300+ per month. I believe that there was a recent start-up of an outdoor bootcamp, but I don't have the details on that (they were charging around $80/week, which was too steep for me). Good luck!

You can try walk by Palermo lakes ( Av Libertador and Sarmiento towards Av. Libertador and Juan B Justo, bordering Av. Figueroa Alcorta. You can go from 7a, to noon, and from 7pm to 10pm and get a better sense, talking to the groups of people working with personal trainers.

I know an argentinian who is in that business, perhaps if you are able to send and receive private messages (PM) I will send you his phone number, he speaks some English.

To be able to send and receive PM you go to the top menu of the site, click on User CP or Quick Links, search for PM and click. Send me a PM when you have done it. You might include a personal email address.

Happy New Year

There is a market for it, with boot camps picking up steam and a lot of people using personal trainers. The question is what do you expect to earn?

I pay my trainer $65 pesos per one-hour session based on buying 12 sessions at a time. i think that is a little high, but he is really good. For this, he meets me in a park by my apartment and brings all the equipment.

The smaller gyms will often allow outside personal trainers at no charge, but the larger ones do not. (SportsClub does not allow them. Megatlon requires them to pay a full membership, which is really pricey.)

Hola,

Thanks for your post. In California I had my own private in-home training business and I ran boot camps in parks. When I arrived here I was looking to do the same thing (providing client with equipment, etc.). I have been working in Buenos Aires now for the last month and a half. In the beginning I offered classes for free just so that I could sort of figure out how the culture around private training works in this city.

From my humble research it seems that yes, there are a few bootcamps, but as for in-home private training that does not seem to be so popular. Based on what Argentine friends of mine have told me it may have something to do with letting a stranger into your home and it just being a security issue from a cultural standpoint. I have found that when it comes to in-home private training it seems foreigners are more likely to be interested. And when you factor in the heat, training with the ac is a nice luxury. In the summer most people seem to train in parks in the early morning or late evening (I have found though that depending on the location bugs are a problem in the evening).

Also for the most part people who work out a lot (again from my humble standpoint) are members of gyms and there is a whole gym culture that in certain gyms is very much a scene here. So I think it could just be a question of not being accustomed to the idea of having someone come to you and being able to work out in your home without a whole bunch of machines.

It seems that private sessions range from AR$40- AR$70, or a bit higher. Also you can check out www.mercadolibre. Trainers list themselves there, that is a good way to connect with a population interested in private trainers because they find you by searching. P.S. I love Mercado Libre :)
As for group classes in the park, I charge AR$20 or AR$170 a month unlimited. That also seems to be another way group classes charge, you can pay by the class or you pay a flat fee to come to any of the classes that month (usually three times a week). This I learned from an Argentine friend.

But it would be great to meet up and share ideas. I think that the in-home idea has a lot of potential here, especially in the cold months or rain. You can send me a private message or email me at [email protected].

Welcome to Buenos Aires, I think that you will do just fine. It is just a case of sticking with what you believe and finding clients to work with and then your work will speak for itself. Paso a paso ;)

Suerte,
Ida

I agree that in-home training is unlikely to be something that will ever be popular among locals (or even long-term expats). The problem is that if the person has a large house, letting in a stranger poses a major security risk. If the house is small and the means more humble, there's no room to exercise.

Best of luck!

fitness???we,ve just drank our way around San Isidro....where were you guys...

Back