Are portenos disproportionately beautiful/handsome?

Fiscal

Registered
This really stands out to me -- the number of random people you walk past who are knock outs (guy or women). It is like there was some massive selection pressure for beauty several generations ago and now the average level of physical attractiveness in Buenos Aires is two standard deviations higher than any other country.

This depends on your taste. For me I don't consider Argentine women any more or less attractive than any other average country. I've seen a lot of attractive women, but not at a rate that makes me think it is higher here. There are a few other countries that make me think that though.

Reactions: Moe
This really stands out to me -- the number of random people you walk past who are knock outs (guy or women). It is like there was some massive selection pressure for beauty several generations ago and now the average level of physical attractiveness in Buenos Aires is two standard deviations higher than any other country.
A relatively gender neutral thread on this kind of topic. Well, it is 2022 after all (even in Argentina). Congratulations. Can we keep it that way?

I think there’s some truth to what you say. This has been my impression as well. Some of it probably has to do with the walking nature of the city. Getting overweight can make people unattractive. I think lots of people would be good looking if they weren’t overweight and worked out. Having had weight issues in the past I noticed this in myself after dieting. I noticed a similar phenomenon when I visited New York City for the first time. People there were also more attractive than Southern USA where I was coming from. Tehran, Iran as well, which I visited, the women there were more attractive and not overweight. However, I noticed here in the afternoons the parks are filled with very many people who are working out, often in groups. Seemed very weird actually just because of the high number of them. I didn’t notice this sort of thing when I visited New York City. I also noticed some areas of Buenos Aires, like in Recoleta, Palermo, and Belgrano, people seem more attractive than in Downtown and Puerto Madero. Some of that might have to do with the tourists that may be more there near the Obelisk and the River. Though obviously none of that is scientific, just my impression. But what makes you say Portenos are better looking than any other “country?” What about a place like Japan? Women there are very attractive it seems. Korea as well probably.

I wouldn’t say the women in Korea or Japan are particularly attractive.
There is a lot of plastic surgery going on Korea!

I do think porteños/as are stunning and have an edge with the way they carry themselves…and/or copious amounts of cosmetic/plastic surgery to enhance it all.

But the same could be said about Kiev, Teheran or Addis Ababa for example where people have wildly different but equally striking looks. Beauty is subjective after all.

What I m pretty sure of though is that flattery will get you everywhere in this country

Back