Are The Price Increases Affecting You?

Excellent recommendations,
  • Suggest you go to some Feria Americana for Boots and clothing.
  • For food also the tenedor libre offers carry-out option for $6,50/kilo is cheaper than cooking for one person!
  • A friend bought a juicer and follows an ALL juice diet with plenty of greens , like acelgas, and fruits plus some soy protein beans
Thanks for your suggestions.....actually the tenedor libre on Av. de Mayo & San José is only $5,00 / 100gr!! to take out, (not including fiambres or parrilla) It's not the prettiest restaurant, but the food is GREAT and sometimes they have some really really well prepared dishes on the buffet, like Ceviche, Sauteed red & yellow peppers, fennel, green beans with walnuts, etc.
The few times I buy clothes I have found some GREAT deals in the downstairs of Falabella on calle Florida & Perón. About 2 months ago I got a pair of Wrangler Parachute pants marked down from $600 pesos to $120, and a pair of jeans for $100. The sales are great there. Shoes and sneakers I have a big problem with because I have a huge foot - size 45 / 46 - and the only manufacturers that make them that big are Timberland and CAT. I bought a great juicer from an expat in December that was going back to the US, I paid $200 pesos for a $700 peso juicer.

Gas prices are up 50 % this year, ,in my weekend trips to the country the gas and tolls costs are more than the lodge and food expenses.

A no brainer buy YPF stock, will show great profits, no wander !, and Gallucio the CEO will be the CEO of the year :mad:

Gas prices are up 50 % this year, ,in my weekend trips to the country the gas and tolls costs are more than the lodge and food expenses.

A no brainer buy YPF stock, will show great profits, no wander !, and Gallucio the CEO will be the CEO of the year :mad:

That's actually not a bad idea. I just checked the NYSE listing over the past year, and it's gone from about 15 USD a year ago to a high around 35 USD at the first of the year, then a dip to 25 USD in February, and now it's 28 USD. So what happened in February?

My biggest problem was finding cilantro. (That was nearly impossible the first time and actually was impossible the second time.)

Whenever I need something not usually available I just tell my friendly neighborhood verdulero with a day or two in advance and he'll get it for me, I regularly ask for jalapenos and cilantro no problem. They can get a lot more than they offer but don't bring in what won't for sure sell. :) Makes my homemade Mexican much more delicious.

I often get tired of seeing posters blame employers for lack of inflation based increases. We're a tech pyme, 10 years in Bsas and Brazil this year an have consistently awarded 20-35% annual increases plus (and in spite of all govt. taxes to high heaven to prevent this) a large performance based bonus (50-100%) monthly salary year on year and I imagine our employees, especially the married ones with kids are still struggling. It's not our job to fix the results of ineffective govt. but it's our job as ethical caring human beings to ensure our folks feel valued and supported to the best of our ability. Our key employees are on profit share (dollars). If nothing else we feel duty bound to show Argentina that not all empresarios are lying corrupt abusers. In our midyears this stance barely drew a profit but thanks to the blue dollar the latter has kept us in the BsAs game as we have already moved many critical services to Brazil and Spain. The long and the short of it s - if the Bsas business environment gets unworkable we will be gone. Entrepreneurs are necessary in any vibrant economy and hopefully a new govt might actually want to motivate higher employment through reduced taxation schemes.

I often get tired of seeing posters blame employers for lack of inflation based increases. We're a tech pyme, 10 years in Bsas and Brazil this year an have consistently awarded 20-35% annual increases plus (and in spite of all govt. taxes to high heaven to prevent this) a large performance based bonus (50-100%) monthly salary year on year and I imagine our employees, especially the married ones with kids are still struggling. It's not our job to fix the results of ineffective govt. but it's our job as ethical caring human beings to ensure our folks feel valued and supported to the best of our ability. Our key employees are on profit share (dollars). If nothing else we feel duty bound to show Argentina that not all empresarios are lying corrupt abusers. In our midyears this stance barely drew a profit but thanks to the blue dollar the latter has kept us in the BsAs game as we have already moved many critical services to Brazil and Spain. The long and the short of it s - if the Bsas business environment gets unworkable we will be gone. Entrepreneurs are necessary in any vibrant economy and hopefully a new govt might actually want to motivate higher employment through reduced taxation schemes.

Good on you, sounds like you are a good employer. The problem is that while an effective government would focus incentives on small businesses, and heavily tax the big international corporations, the corrupt nature of modern politics in all nations causes the reverse to happen; subsidies and incentives go to the big corporations that have money to bribe lobby the government, while small businesses get bent over andscrewed. This is true in the USA and Europe, certainly. Whether or not it's true in Argentina, I couldn't say.

Well, I guess I should have worked for you instead of my previous employer. I got two 10% raised in the last 4 years, primarily because the US policy of the particular division I was in is to give NO raises. Do you consider that acceptable?

I understand where you are coming from, but I often got tired of employers complaining about having to give raises due to inflation. It's the nature of doing business in Argentina, just like paying lower wages in pesos. You can't expect to reap the benefits of lower wages yet complain about having to give inflationary raises.

And Fifs, I like and respect you and from what you wrote above, you seem like a fair and generous employer. Not all employers are like you, however.

Edit: Incidentally, my replacement, at least in terms of headcount, was hired in India.

We're a tech pyme, 10 years in Bsas and Brazil this year an have consistently awarded 20-35% annual increases plus (and in spite of all govt. taxes to high heaven to prevent this) a large performance based bonus (50-100%) monthly salary year on year

Are their any jobs available in your esteemed enterprise, ma'am?

Personally, inflation means I have higher overhead, and thus raise my rates. I assume all businesses selling in Argentina do the same. I don't see why it is unreasonable for employees to expect their wages to be raised accordingly. That's not generosity, it's just good business sense.

I am not happy to see inflation here, but I prefer it to the alternatives. Every 'anti-inflationary' plan I have seen for Argentina would entail cutting social services and raising unemployment (the usual IMF recipe). If you have a plan that won't drag us back to the 90's please do share.

I agree with Possum that I would like to see less subsidies to CFK's multinational corporate welfare hogs (eg, Chevron, Monsanto). Any tax cuts would need to be prevented from 'trickling up.'

Back