are you happy there?

mendoza70

Registered
I have been back and forth to Argentina since 2005. My question to you is ,are those of you who made the move happy that you did so. If you are not why have you not moved back?

mendoza70, hi. I like this question, I like it alot. So much that I ask myself this every single day. And each day I get a different answer. But again, there are many levels as there are many definitions (thus subjective) of happiness. You are as happy anywhere as you want yourself to be.

My wife and I were just talking the other day about how grateful we are to have moved to Argentina. It hasn't always been easy, but the last 4 years have been new, exciting and filled with some great experiences.

I think that Europe and the US tend to be more and more deshumanized, too much rationality however (potentially) less superficial and more open minded than BsAs
Maybe one should be satisfied with what you have, and not complaining on what you don t have
I would say it depends on where your "afectos" are

cricri58 said:
. . . . I would say it depends on where your "afectos" are
"Home is where the heart is"? (And, as we've all experienced, "the heart has reasons, that reason cannot know.")

I agree, "cri-cri".

My husband and I are truly happy that we've moved to BA. mainly because it IS so different from the States. That we have this incredible opportunity to experience a different culture, language, etc. It's made us appreciate the States. But has also helped us grow becoming more patient and accepting humans. And I must say, I like the change.

thuy.ashtango said:
My husband and I are truly happy that we've moved to BA. mainly because it IS so different from the States. . . . It's made us appreciate the States. . . .
This points out (and an entire thread has been devoted to) the difference between expatriate and immigrant. I guess that the OP in this thread is most interested in hearing from men and women who are, or who at least originally intended to be, immigrants, permanently changing their homes and citizenship to Argentina.

Or am I mistaken? For the reactions of each group will differ, just as their reasons for moving to Argentina certainly do.

mendoza70 said:
I have been back and forth to Argentina since 2005. My question to you is ,are those of you who made the move happy that you did so. If you are not why have you not moved back?

I know alot of people who *pretend* to be happy as they struggle through the days. When, in fact, things really aren´t as great as they make out to be.

I don´t think that most expats are happy here. What I do think is that people enjoy many happy times. Or, happy moments. For example, I find Argentina incredibly frustrating but when I go to the cafes or enjoy the nightlife, during those moments I know what my attraction is here. So, everybody has a different attraction to this city as in any other place.

I think a big part of the reason why MOST expats don´t make it is because unlike other countries where people immigrate with their entire family and start a whole new life, most people come to Argentina alone or with a partner. Not having family is a big reason I think why people don´t stay. The lack of family here is equivalent to a lack of support system which everybody needs. Which is why I always say that people who are married into Argentine families fall into a different category than those who are here alone.

I think you are right Recolete.. Most people make the most of it but are not truly happy. those who come without family . I have no family.

Back