Are you supposed to tip in hotels?

Fiscal

Registered
I'm in a business hotel in Cordoba, and the waiter mentioned that below the check, is a form I can complete to leave him a tip. Is this normal? I've never really tipped in Argentina before other than on one special occasion because the waiter went out of his way for me. I always assumed you don't ordinarily tip, so I was surprised the hotel had a form to fill out, and on top of that, the waiter mentioned it.

I'm in a business hotel in Cordoba, and the waiter mentioned that below the check, is a form I can complete to leave him a tip. Is this normal? I've never really tipped in Argentina before other than on one special occasion because the waiter went out of his way for me. I always assumed you don't ordinarily tip, so I was surprised the hotel had a form to fill out, and on top of that, the waiter mentioned it.

Wonder what is a business hotel? Never tipped a waiter in Argentina ... Give me a break :rolleyes:

Well I always tip room service waiters, housekeeping personnel daily, doormen who hail a cab, Bellman, VIP lounge waiters, Concierge if he has taken care of restaurants reservations, and of course hotel restaurant waiters and bartenders, Maybe I have been wrong for 15 years in Argentina?

Wonder what Bajo means by NO?

Maybe I didn't understand the question :rolleyes:

Well I always tip room service waiters, housekeeping personnel daily, doormen who hail a cab, Bellman, VIP lounge waiters, Concierge if he has taken care of restaurants reservations, and of course hotel restaurant waiters and bartenders, Maybe I have been wrong for 15 years in Argentina?

Wonder what Bajo means by NO?

Maybe I didn't understand the question :rolleyes:

Never stayed in a fancy hotel in Argentina before and my wife has always told me to never tip here, that's it's just not the custom. But the Sheraton here has a little form with every bill to tip.

Never stayed in a fancy hotel in Argentina before and my wife has always told me to never tip here, that's it's just not the custom. But the Sheraton here has a little form with every bill to tip.

Tipping is pretty common in Argentina actually. It's not obligatory of course, but most would consider it good form as the service industry workers usually are underpaid and do hard work.

Here is a little more info about tipping customs in Argentina by sector:

https://landingpadba.com/tipping-and-gratuities-in-argentina/

The Sheraton in Cordoba, it's mostly business people rather than families and tourists.

I understand, never visited the Sheraton in Cordoba City, but know very well the Sheraton Retiro in Bs. As.
Sheraton Retiro is always popular with families, because of it's outdoor pool and tennis courts . Also during the Season frequented by tourists from Cruise ships.... And many Airlines Crews.

I stayed at InterContinental Budapest 2 months ago. The lobby guy, who brought my bags to the room, wouldn't leave. After he set up the bags, then he started to show me how the TV and internet worked, then he was starting to talk about weather and tell me about the city. We wanted to take a shower and rest, fkin guy, I can see he has been doing this to all the "dumb" tourists. I had to interrupt him with a tip and told him that's enough. Probably the same in hotels in Argentina.

I understand, never visited the Sheraton in Cordoba City, but know very well the Sheraton Retiro in Bs. As.
Sheraton Retiro is always popular with families, because of it's outdoor pool and tennis courts . Also during the Season frequented by tourists from Cruise ships.... And many Airlines Crews.
I don't know about the Sheraton, but a business hotel is typically just a hotel located in the center of a city close to the financial sector or close to airports (although not always). It has no particular differences aside to the fact the rooms/facilities may be more catered to professionals. For example, conference facilities. Most of the world's major city-based chain hotels are business hotels, although I am not a businessman and still stay in them when visiting other cities.

And @Fiscal, you don't tip in Argentina? I bet they love you in the eateries across this country.

Back