Are you supposed to tip in hotels?

i tip delivery drivers for rappi/glovo/pedidos ya very well because they have extremely tough jobs and i have read a few stories about how difficult it is for them to make money.

i would tip ubers if the app had the option here as it does in the US.

in restaurants i'll leave 15% usually.

I never tip taxi drivers. I have dozens of stories of friends, relatives and acquaintances getting taken by BA taxi drivers.

Given that more than half are thieves masquerading as taxistas, I figure they can pilfer their way to subsistence.

What about at restaurants that add a service charge/table service charge? Do you also tip in addition to that?

Wow you don't tip? Your wife, who I believe is Argentine says we don't tip here? That is very strange!!! Unless you come from a culture when this is a big no, ie. Chinese, we all tip! Hotels, restaurants, bars, coffee stores, cabs, delivery guys, etc. The only places where I do not leave a tip are fast food restaurants ( McD, Starbucks, etc )

Yep. Never seen my in-laws tip either. On a couple of occasions when the waiter was really good, my wife told me to leave a couple hundred pesos. But that's about it. After this thread, I gave the front desk person at the Sheraton who had been assisting me all week 500 pesos. She seemed very surprised and asked if I wanted changed. And I tipped the waiter at the bar who had been serving me coffee every day 200 pesos, but he also asked me to tip.

Yep. Never seen my in-laws tip either. On a couple of occasions when the waiter was really good, my wife told me to leave a couple hundred pesos. But that's about it. After this thread, I gave the front desk person at the Sheraton who had been assisting me all week 500 pesos. She seemed very surprised and asked if I wanted changed. And I tipped the waiter at the bar who had been serving me coffee every day 200 pesos, but he also asked me to tip.

Your in-laws or wife are on the right track.
Thats what I have seen after interacting with locals.
Lot of comments here are from Americans or Canadians or Britishers or Argies who have American husbands..So take their views from their perspective as how they see everything via their eyes.

I always tipped at a restaurant when I was in BA about 10%. I just felt like their standard of living is very low and I can afford it, so I always did tip. I stayed at an Airbnb so didn’t have hotel personnel to tip.

I always tipped at a restaurant when I was in BA about 10%. I just felt like their standard of living is very low and I can afford it, so I always did tip. I stayed at an Airbnb so didn’t have hotel personnel to tip.
initially I was confused by " table service " on the bill, thought 10-15% charge was the tip. but quickly figured out thats something else.

Not tipping for good service is a sign of disrespect for the other . I have never heard that tipping is not common in Argentina . Is the original poster looking for controversy only ?
This must be a matter of opinion rather than a moral imperative? When the Spanish Civil War broke out and republicanism swept Madrid, the waiters and porters made a principle of refusing tips as enforcing a culture of traditional deference and servility. The French make an enormous point of polite behaviour and speech and consider themselves sthe most cultured and sophisticated people on the planet as well as being egalitarians in spirit (if not always in fact) and they hardly tip. So its a cultural or customary thing rather than a sign of impoliteness. By the way I DO tip taxi drivers usually if they are helpful and don't try to cheat me. I accept the American custom of almost-enforced tipping (though they always say it is not compulsory) but don't understand it: talking to one guy in California one time I asked what happens if the service is frankly appalling - he said "I would still tip the 15% and then complain to the waiter that he had given poor service". So its a cultural thing surely??

What about at restaurants that add a service charge/table service charge? Do you also tip in addition to that?

yes, i do. cubierto is maybe 50 pesos or something, not going to punish the waiter for the restaurant charging it. but if they are charging it the place better be good otherwise i try to avoid places that do it.

Back