Are you supposed to tip in hotels?

I accept the American custom of almost-enforced tipping (though they always say it is not compulsory) but don't understand it

It’s very simple:
  1. Just about everyone agrees that the system is retarded.
  2. That said, it’s so absolutely prevalent in the US that for the people you are tipping, this is basically considered part of their salary.
  3. Bottom line: if you don’t tip, you are stiffing the waiter.
    In the name of an arguably good idea, it may well be. But again: you are stiffing the waiter.
Excellent primer to get the US perspective on this across, here at New York Magazine. TL;DR:

I’m a millennial and we are famously bad at managing our money. I’m on a tight budget and I watch every dollar I spend.
If you can’t afford to tip 20 percent of the total amount that you spend at a restaurant, you can’t afford to eat at that restaurant.​

Also from NYMag, an explanation of why tipping is so entrenched. TL;DR: Until and unless tipping is uniformly and simultaneously abolished across the board (probably possible only if mandated by law), it is here to stay.

Last edited:
It’s very simple:
  1. Just about everyone agrees that the system is retarded.
  2. That said, it’s so absolutely prevalent in the US that for the people you are tipping, this is basically considered part of their salary.
  3. Bottom line: if you don’t tip, you are stiffing the waiter.
    In the name of an arguably good idea, it may well be. But again: you are stiffing the waiter.
Excellent primer to get the US perspective on this across, here at New York Magazine. TL;DR:

I’m a millennial and we are famously bad at managing our money. I’m on a tight budget and I watch every dollar I spend.
If you can’t afford to tip 20 percent of the total amount that you spend at a restaurant, you can’t afford to eat at that restaurant.​

Also from NYMag, an explanation of why tipping is so entrenched. TL;DR: Until and unless tipping is uniformly and simultaneously abolished across the board (probably possible only if mandated by law), it is here to stay.

I linked to the same nymag write up on tipping, through Grub Street. It says it all, no excuses!

10% is a good tip here. Argentines often give much less. Never give over 10%

Because tipping only makes sense within cultural bounds, (or in some incredibly exceptional situations, I suppose).
Why not tip the cashier at COTO? Why not pay the verdulero double what they ask you?
Outside of cultural context, the whole thing makes no sense.
You end up just a schmuck who likes to overpay.
Or, you’re trying to establish yourself as some kind of high roller. Or mobster out of Goodfellas, handing out little gifts to everyone.

10% is good for BA, even though it’s not always expected. Frankly, I’ve rarely had service here that justified more.

Back