ARG ranks 49 in Human Development Index

Moxon said:
I was actually referring to the suicide rate, Uruguay has consistently been among the very highest in Latin America, but maybe the two are related.
Perhaps boredom?

orwellian said:
It's no coincidence that the northern West European countries are rich (as in materialistic wealth), and the Southern ones are poor.
When it's cold, it just makes a lot more sense to work because otherwise you freeze your ass off.

So why is Australia second on that list? It's hotter than here.

Diskosis said:
I'm finding it hard to figure out what your argument is. "Culturally, heat makes a difference"?

With time, your culture is influenced by the heat. Argentina was settled by Spanish and Italian people, thus this country is influenced by their culture (South Europeans). As opposed to for example Australia that was settled by English (North Europeans). In other words, they brought their European culture with them.
Does that explain it for you?

How does this theory apply to the roman, greek and turkish empires?

Geography certainly plays an important big role. Not so sure about "heat".

jp said:
How does this theory apply to the roman, greek and turkish empires?

I am not saying that you can't build an empire in heat. I am talking about efficiency in society. And I don't think that you can blame culture for what is wrong in Latin-America, I'd say that that has more to do with imperialism.

jp said:
Geography certainly plays an important big role. Not so sure about "heat".

Why do you think that northern European countries are rich and south ones are not? Is that due to geographic reasons in your opinion?

If it is, then how do you explain that both north of Italy and Spain is also richer than the south?

Back