argentina 2nd world?

bapak said:
istar- never been to a "soccer" game in my life! don't assume. thought i would be nice to see my first in argentina. ya know world cup and all that. maybe we could go together.

You said...
bapak said:
i'm coming(to BA) for the world cup(which you almost didn't qualify for) to see all this for myself.

So you've never been to a soccer game in your life but you've been following Argentina's qualification into 2010 and you plan on going to the world cup? I call that a fan of the sport.

You are coming to BA for the world cup?

Hate to be the one to tell you this, actually no I'm not...

The 2010 world cup is in SA = South Africa not SA = South America

the OP sounds a bit like a boludo to me... I just can´t tell if it is an expat pretending to be local, a local pretending to be an expat or just another troll (???)

nikad said:
the OP sounds a bit like a boludo to me... I just can´t tell if it is an expat pretending to be local, a local pretending to be an expat or just another troll (???)

OP? And, "boludo"? Are you a local or, ahem, an expat maybe doing a touch of pretending yourself?

ssr said:
OP? And, "boludo"? Are you a local or, ahem, an expat maybe doing a touch of pretending yourself?

Why don't you research Nikad's posts and find out for yourself?

I am obviously an expat, but I use the word "boludo" frequently when crossing the street (in the crosswalk with the green light), but I'm not pretending. It works much better than "asswipe" or other variations of the English label. You can't insult someone if they don't understand what you are saying...and when did using the abbreviation "OP" become pretentious?

ssr said:
OP= original poster, I am 100% Argentine beef

steveinbsas said:
Why don't you research Nikad's posts and find out for yourself?

I am obviously an expat, but I use the word "boludo" frequently when crossing the street (in the crosswalk with the green light), but I'm not pretending. It works much better than "asswipe" or other variations of the English label. You can't insult someone if they don't understand what you are saying...and when did using the abbreviation "OP" become pretentious?

Hah! Steve, I think you got yourself a bit wound up there. I don't recall suggesting that the abbreviation "OP" is pretentious. I just didn't know what it meant (and now I do; thank you, nikad). nikad has also cleared up that he's 100% Argentine beef so there's no need for me to do any research.

Now, "boludo". For insulting people on the street, you're right: it's best to insult people in their own language. But for an expat (which nikad isn't) to write it in a post on an expat forum: eh, a little bit cheesy. You know, this is the online equivalent of standing around with a bunch of other foreigners chatting about Buenos Aires. And the guy saying "boludo" is the guy who's maybe trying a bit too hard.

But, to each their own. And if you've taken offense, my apologies. I'm just a big, snarky boludo. ;)

ssr said:
Now, "boludo". For insulting people on the street, you're right: it's best to insult people in their own language. But for an expat (which nikad isn't) to write it in a post on an expat forum: eh, a little bit cheesy. You know, this is the online equivalent of standing around with a bunch of other foreigners chatting about Buenos Aires. And the guy saying "boludo" is the guy who's maybe trying a bit too hard.

My bad, I never use weird local slang here to show off or anything along those lines, on the other hand I know that boludo is one ( if not the one ) very first insult that expats learn here, as people use it widely in many different ways ( insulting, friendly or casual ) so I figured it would be understood.

I just read that first post and it is just soooooo b that I could not help myself and had to give the poster the b word, lol.

In any case ssr, my life is a constant translation as my husband is American and still struggles with the slang and bits of the language after 6 years here. So feel free to ask me if I post anything that looks/sounds unclear. After all I know my English is not perfect either ;)

Yes, we are a bit cranky here sometimes. But this is a grteat site to get information about how things work in Argentina. I know Argentineans who check this site to get info they cannot get anywhere else about their country. And, as stated above, whining a bit is good therapy...":)

Back