Argentina and Great Britain Diplomatic Spat

Gibraltar was ceded under the Treaty of Utrecht whose terms the Spanish state has never really adhered to or fully approved. This makes me think, was there ever any treaties or international agreements/statements that stated the Falkalnds/Malvinas as one way or the other. Is it simply a he says/she says of territorial claims?

There was an agreement between Spain and Great Britain, i which the UK abbandoned te islands and they were left under spanish administration. Then Buenos Aires took over after the revolution.

fedecc said:
There was an agreement between Spain and Great Britain, i which the UK abbandoned te islands and they were left under spanish administration. Then Buenos Aires took over after the revolution.

So the UK never had a treaty with Argentina?

What was the "treaty" of 1982? (Was there one?)

fedecc said:
So the islands belong to Spain. Perhaps we could swap them for Gibraltar then everyone would be happy.

Death to the government of both countries! No war is started for the sake of the people, rather war is started exclusively by politicians for domestic political gain (like all other government programs, it is in short a political-reelection/consolidation of power scheme.). The malvinas war was just just a scam orcastrated by two creepy government united in ripping of their own people. Initiating agression against the innocent can never be justified.

Although governments talk of external threats, the real threats come internally from the governments themselves charading as protectors of the people as a veil of legitimacy for further exploition of the people.

I love discussing this topic with Argies, it's likely the only way to discern who's semi-rational and who's a Nationalist idiot.

Here's my take:

On the War: On the verge of his gang's collapse, a drunk dictator was not able to organize another massive sport event to distract the populace from the random killings so they invaded a disputed territory, and here's the saddest part, granted its inhabitants rights a "Continental" Argentine could only dream of at that time (like the right not to be randomly shot). The schizophrenic masses loved it! --- at the expense of provincial cannon fodder, proving Nationalists value their National symbols more than their National Citizens. Maggie T not only had the right to defend the Kelpers but the duty.

On Sovereignty: There are almost no places in this Earth that had no native population by the eve of the Renaissance. The Falklands was one of those places. Its population came to be from British subjects from across the world. When Spanish America gained independence (thanks to the British) the southernmost frontier was Fuerte Bulnes, in Chile, and it was just a loosely defended military outpost. The actual frontier of the "Capitania de Chile" was around Araucania (north of Pt Montt), and the Southern frontier of the Virreynato del Rio de la Plata, later the United Provinces, was farther North, around Lujan. Practically all of Patagonia was uncharted, uncolonized and up for grabs.
Basically Argentina, as heir of the Virreynato, has more right to all of Paraguay and Chile, and parts of Bolivia, than to its own Patagonia, even less to its pre-colonized outlying islands.

How much sense would it make if a fascist leader took over Canada and decided to unite the country to "re-conquer" Saint Pierre et Miquelon? How much sense would it make for Demoratic Canada to claim those French Islands?

this is a poorly understood aspect of the history of this country so i fully understand why the brits are indignant.

They basically built argentina into an economic powerhouse and now there is no recognition of what they did here. If it wasn't for them, argentina would not have the rail infrastructure it has today. Nor the cricket and rugby club of buenos aires, the river plate and racing club soccer teams :)

The history of this country is available for all to read and understand.

And the above is what differentiates Argentina from Anglo-friendly, Liberal Uruguay. :)

heck, even the National Cult of this country is of British origin!

Matt84 said:
And the above is what differentiates Argentina from Anglo-friendly, Liberal Uruguay. :)

heck, even the National Cult of this country is of British origin!

You have to give it to the brits, they were once great but now.... well, their quest to retain the last bastions of the empire are somewhat undignified. Gotta love hugh grants accent though.

Back