Argentina and Great Britain Diplomatic Spat

There never was no formal treaty between Argentina and the UK giving them those islands. However, the Argentine dictator Juan Manuel de Rosas for 26 years (1829-1852), after a sharp (and first) confrontation with Anglo-French naval forces in 1845, declared that ALL oustanding problems with the UK had been resolved. This may have been a diplomatic mistake, by accepting the status quo at the moment.
However, this problem has only one solution: an agreement for swapping sovereignty to Argentina in exchange for total and absolute internal autonomy for the islanders. This may satisfafy both sides:the kelpers will continue with their British -style way of life, and Argentina will only represent them in all external matters. Sounds attractive and reasonable?

Matt, I know the islands because I went there. Nothing stopping someone from going. Even Argentine citizens can go. Yes, they are rugged windswept islands occupied by sheep farmers. Port Stanley looks as though it is on the Cornwall coast. I can't imagine any Argentine I've ever met being willing to live in such a remote outpost. Anyway, I'm waiting for someone to tell me how the Argentine government would improve conditions for the islanders whose families have lived there for over 150 years. If these islands belong to Argentina, one could argue that Argentina belongs to its indigenous people.

No you can't argue that because the indigenous people never declared it a country. What country would claim Argentina then? It doesn't make sense.
It doesn't matter how long they have been living on the occupied land, if they don't want to live on Argentinian soil, they would have to move.

If these islands belong to Argentina, one could argue that Argentina belongs to its indigenous people.

Not really as the so called indigenous people ARE argentinians and so the land already belongs to them as much as to non indigenous argentinians,

fedecc said:
Not really as the so called indigenous people ARE argentinians and so the land already belongs to them as much as to non indigenous argentinians,

Very few Argentines are from indigenous descent though. Most of them are Spanish and Italians.

Britain was the first to claim sovereignity over the islands, and never gave up the claim. Argentina acknowledged this claim and was still asking Britain for permission to do anything on the islands up until 1828.

It was a murky period in history, there's nothing particularly clear cut over who owns what based on what happened 200 years ago.

jp said:
Britain was the first to claim sovereignity over the islands, and never gave up the claim. Argentina acknowledged this claim and was still asking Britain for permission to do anything on the islands up until 1828.

Got a source for that?

brandwach said:
Death to the government of both countries! No war is started for the sake of the people, rather war is started exclusively by politicians for domestic political gain (like all other government programs, it is in short a political-reelection/consolidation of power scheme.). The malvinas war was just just a scam orcastrated by two creepy government united in ripping of their own people. Initiating agression against the innocent can never be justified.

All the shouting seems to come from people who have no stake in what is happening, but here is my take.

Before the invasion, almost no one in Britain knew where the Falklands were, most would have said they were above Scotland. Certainly few in Britain would have wanted to fight and die for them, and the massive amount of taxpayers money that has been spent on them is seen as a waste.
Few Argentine really care (not those to whom I have spoken anyway). Those I know who sent sons there complained that they fought and died for nothing, were sent poorly equiped and trained for almost arctic conditions. Those who were not shot froze to death. British soldiers have flashbacks to the times they found that the "soldiers" that they had killed were just children.
The farmers on the Island just wanted to be left in peace to farm their lands.
So who gained anything?
Two tinpot dictators either side of the world. Clinging on to power by any means available.
How many died to save these unworthy adversaries?
And how many more must suffer befor everyone justs leaves a few isolated farmers on remote rock alone to live their lives.

Very few Argentines are from indigenous descent though. Most of them are Spanish and Italians.

Actually most of argentines are from indigenous descent, you just cant "see it" as evidently as in other places. And having european and indigenous origins are not mutually exclusive.

The farmers on the Island just wanted to be left in peace to farm their lands.
So who gained anything?
The war was probably the best thing that ever happened to the people of the island. Before 1982 the weren´t full brittish citizen. From wiki.
The islanders subsequently had full British citizenship restored in 1983, their lifestyle was improved by investments Britain made after the war and the liberalisation of economic measures that had been stalled through fear of angering Argentina. In 1985, a new constitution was enacted promoting self-government, which has continued to devolve power to the islanders.

Back