Argentina battles dengue surge and repellent shortage

While our president was cosplaying a soldier and abasing himself in Tierra del Fuego, we had this priceless example of libertarian medicine in Buenos Aires:

"This week, the Buenos Aires City government’s health minister posted photos of himself at a community center in a poor neighborhood, large vats and pans laid out before him. For this, he told his audience, they would need fresh thyme, lemon, vinegar, cloves, and a series of other plants.

He wasn’t swapping chimichurri recipes. It was, allegedly, a homemade mosquito repellent — the city government’s response to a dengue outbreak that has sickened over 134,000 people and killed over 100 in Argentina".

From https://buenosairesherald.com/op-ed/the-sting-of-an-absent-state, you couldn't make it up. Meanwhile, the mostly AWOL federal health minister resurrected himself for Easter to announce that he's being pressurized by repellent laboratories, vaccine manufacturers, and the caste, of course, to basically do his job;

Presumably the manufacturers of long trousers and long-sleeved shirts have also been exerting pressure on the poor guy:

Both he and his sidekick in CABA deserve to be removed from the medical register.

Meanwhile, the free market must be working since a donation of repellent has arrived from Mexico, with more to come: https://www-lanacion-com-ar.transla...es&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=es-419&_x_tr_pto=wapp Oh, wait... 🤔
How long until we have "The forces of heaven" intentionally getting dengue to own the libs?

How can people look at the state of healthcare in Argentina and think this isn't a crisis that needs to be addressed? People are abandoning prepaid medicine because people can't afford it, and the public health system has been collapsed for years due to underfunding, and now we're going to send hundreds of thousands of people to hospitals each year as dengue becomes an epidemic in GBA due to climate change?

Obviously this isn't all LLA's fault, the Ks have underfunded healthcare for decades, but burying your head in the sand and hoping Mexico sends us Off isn't leadership imo...

I'll see if I can get a prescription for the vaccine tomorrow, and report back on the experience. I know it's late, and I've been indecisive, but some protection has to be better than none. It doesn't look like dengue is going away.

It's amazing that you're still here in Argentina in the middle of the apocalypse. I commend you for your unheralded bravery. But I suppose you have your bags packed and your ticket home booked. Please, have a safe flight home, and god bless. Think of us once in a while.

Some board members like to bemoan, groan, complain and kvetch about Argentina day in and day out. Yet, they are still here - perhaps a vocation for martyrdom. Let's hope that, when they go to the Happy Hunting Grounds, such sacrifice will be rewarded with a seat on a cloud right next to St. Peter's, .

Last edited:
Can we expect these pesky mosquitos to die off in the next month or so or not?

Can we expect these pesky mosquitos to die off in the next month or so or not?
I usually notice a decrease in them between June and September, but as the climate has changed over the past decade since I've come to Argentina I've noticed them hanging around longer, which is also contributing to the dengue epidemic itself.

I run the AC in my bedroom at 22 on dry and that usually keeps them out, but I'm looking forward to the winter so I can keep the window opens throughout the apt

Back