Argentina Crime a reality check

The report was written by Augusto Zimmermann and he made the quote about Brazil being worse than Angola and its brutal civil war. Please read the link .

I believe too many people here need some perspective to make informed decisions. Too much misinformation is branded about that has no basis in fact . I have been to the USA and always felt in much more danger than Argentina . Europe is safer and especially the Northern European countries where serious crimes are rare.

Buenos Aires is dangerous but compared to Rio Brazil , San Paulo, Caracas Venezeula , Cali Colombia, Guatemala City , San Salvador , Detroit, Washington DC , and many many other cities it is safer .................................

I still think the chances of getting shot are way higher in the US. Last time I mentioned this, someone replied with a comment in which I could just tell they were rolling their eyes while writing.

So, even with the chance that someone will reply with a snotty remark, I still posit that I it's scarier to piss someone off in the US, where they might have a gun, than here, where they probably don't have a gun.

Have any of you heard of six points of separation?
If we rely on the neighbour of a friend of a friend as personal knowledge, then by this theory if one person has been robbed, then one person in eight in the world knows them.

Well-said, SaraSara. Crime stats in Brazil might be relevant to foreigners comparing both countries as potential destinations, but if your life is in Argentina, your main concern is crime in Argentina.

Many ex-pats can choose to leave Argentina if they feel unsafe, or if life gets too hard here. Locals may not have that option. You mentioned worrying about elderly relatives... I have a local friend whose elderly mother lives alone in a big house in the suburbs. Thankfully, nothing has ever happened to her, but enough friends have been the victims of home invasions for her to feel like something COULD happen. Unfortunately, the only two solutions are to sell the house and move to Cap Fed, or sell the house and move to her other nation of citizenship, Italy. Either one would be a lengthy, complicated process (in other words, all she can do for now is stay put, continue to lock the doors at night, and hope for the best.)

I think it's a bit reckless to act like BsAs is "a cakewalk." I generally feel safe in my routine, and I do believe that by exercising common sense, a person can reduce the risk of victimization (not walking alone on empty streets, not flashing expensive jewelry or gadgets, not stumbling home drunk and judgment-impaired, etc.) Still, no matter how many street smarts you have, luck and timing are always a factor. Last year my Argentine friend and I were stopped in Plaza Lavalle by some kid high on paco, threatening to shoot us if we didn't give him a cell phone (we didn't give him anything, just ran. This happened at 7:30pm, while 3 policemen stood several feet away.) That's the only crime I've ever encountered here, but it was enough to make me realize that the odds of being a target are a lot higher than I'd previously assumed. It's easy to consider a city a cakewalk until the day you end up in the wrong place at the wrong time :eek:

perry said:
The report was written by Augusto Zimmermann and he made the quote about Brazil being worse than Angola and its brutal civil war. Please read the link .
So, I don't understand your point. It's a ridiculous comparison no matter who wrote it. You posted it here and thus spreading idiotic premises.

perry said:
I believe too many people here need some perspective to make informed decisions. Too much misinformation is branded about that has no basis in fact .

No offense, really. But by reposting that article YOU are participating in a campaign of disinformation.

BTW, that article is from 2008.

mini said:
So, I don't understand your point. It's a ridiculous comparison no matter who wrote it. You posted it here and thus spreading idiotic premises.

No offense, really. But by reposting that article YOU are participating in a campaign of disinformation.

BTW, that article is from 2008.

What is ridiculuous about it ? You seem to have many issues on this forum accepting that others have different points of views to yours.

Crime and facts is hardly spreading disinformation and 2008 is only 2 years AGO . JEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ..................

texxaslonghorn said:
So, even with the chance that someone will reply with a snotty remark, I still posit that I it's scarier to piss someone off in the US, where they might have a gun, than here, where they probably don't have a gun.

Without any intention of being snotty, from what I see everyone and his cousin has a gun in Argentina nowadays. No self-respecting criminal would be caught without one - it may not be a state-of-the-art firearm, but they all have some kind of handgun.

If in doubt, check the papers, or ask around and see how many people have been held up at gunpoint.

I used to live in downtown Washington, DC (then the US crime capital) without iron bars, alarm, or security guard, and also without fear. Now I live in a "good" BA suburb with iron bars, alarm, security guard in the corner ... and also with fear.

I don't feel afraid living in las canitas, and am probably only a couple of blocks away from your mother.
Thats not to say its not dangerous, just that I don't feel afraid.

What someone feels, and how much danger they are in, are not necessarily related.

I don't listen to the news or read newspapers, as such I do not "know" anyone who is a victim of crime. So I do not live in fear when I am here. Nor do I lock myself away and hide.
I have probably spent nine months now in BsAs on and off had two attempted pickpockets and one attempted distraction robbery, all totally inept, but never anything violent.
This is no surprise as I have had attempted pickpockets in every major city I have visited, and non of them for more than a fortnight. That makes BsAs statistically (for me anyway) the city with the least crime I have visited.
In saying all this, of course it makes sense to take precautions, like watching out for each other and not putting your wallet where it can be lifted and displaying expensive jewelry and watches.

How does Oakland compare? Really, we're living HERE so who cares what the crime is like elsewhere unless you're going to be living there, too?

Back