Crime in Patagonia?

SpanishGuy

Registered
I have heard a saying that in Patagonian towns like San Martin de los Andes and Bariloche, you are more likely to have a bird than a person rob you.

Is it true that petty theft is way lower there than in Buenos Aires? Apart from the obvious distinction that Buenos Aires is a mega city, is it basically where all the crime happens?

Personally I felt a way more relaxing and safe atmosphere while down there, but wanted to hear some takes from people here.

Doing some quick googling at the very least nullifies the bird statement. Things I found: homicide rate is about the same as buenos aires though would need more investigation to know if it's a statistical anomaly (2019 stat with 7 deaths in barlioche 4.3 per 100k) and there were a string of house break-ins and robberies in 2021.

Legend has it that there are very active ''native tribes'' claiming certain rights that if not met they are willing to use force to displace ''huincas'' from their ancestral lands, who knows maybe interstate highways blockage and burning down private properties including churches it's just that, legends and rumors.......

I lived in SMA for a couple years 2017-2019 and still work there. Petty crime and robberies are up but the overall vibe is safe. But living there you really get a sense of the place compared to short visits. Most locals are from BA fleeing the city and the area saw a big porteño surge during the pandemic years. With them comes the ways of the big city. I think the old days of SMA are long gone.

I've visited several places (not the same as living of course) in Patagonia and I'd say your main risks are inclement weather/car accidents instead of violent crime; the vibe is fairly safe as shops/houses/apartments aren't generally coated in metal gates like in CABA at night, and it was common to elderly people and women with children at night alone seemingly care free. That being said there has been an increase in B&Es I've read, but I think that's more crime of opportunity/economic problems related since the same could be said about barrio privados here in GBA, and people moving to Patagonia like others have said.

I lived in SMA for a couple years 2017-2019 and still work there. Petty crime and robberies are up but the overall vibe is safe. But living there you really get a sense of the place compared to short visits. Most locals are from BA fleeing the city and the area saw a big porteño surge during the pandemic years. With them comes the ways of the big city. I think the old days of SMA are long gone.
Great perspective. Thank you. I find it especially fascinating because I was there for the first time 1 year ago and fell in love with it, so I can’t really compare it to the past myself.

I've visited several places (not the same as living of course) in Patagonia and I'd say your main risks are inclement weather/car accidents instead of violent crime; the vibe is fairly safe as shops/houses/apartments aren't generally coated in metal gates like in CABA at night, and it was common to elderly people and women with children at night alone seemingly care free. That being said there has been an increase in B&Es I've read, but I think that's more crime of opportunity/economic problems related since the same could be said about barrio privados here in GBA, and people moving to Patagonia like others have said.
It seems that vehicle breakins in Bariloche is massive. It’s organized and any van parked anywhere have an EXTREMELY high chance of getting broken into. Don’t ever hear about anything violent though.

It seems that vehicle breakins in Bariloche is massive. It’s organized and any van parked anywhere have an EXTREMELY high chance of getting broken into. Don’t ever hear about anything violent though.
tal cual. in 2017 had a friend's rental car broken in during less than a 15 minutes parking in front of a business - laptop and cloth / shoes stolen. a few minutes from down town Bariloche.

I spent two months in Alta Gracia and a couple weeks in Villa Carlos Paz in the Central Sierras last year. Have never experienced such relaxed towns anywhere. People are very friendly and helpful. And my Spanish is limited. I wouldn't hesitate to at least try small cities and bigger towns in Argentina. That being said Bariloche attracts the well heeled so you've got to figure there's at least some crime of opportunity there. Like the bank robber who was asked why he robbed banks said, that's where the money is at.

Back