Argentina Crime a reality check

tangobob said:
I don't listen to the news or read newspapers, as such I do not "know" anyone who is a victim of crime. So I do not live in fear when I am here. Nor do I lock myself away and hide.
I have probably spent nine months now in BsAs on and off had two attempted pickpockets and one attempted distraction robbery, all totally inept, but never anything violent..

Some expats are amazingly oblivious of what's going on in Buenos Aires. But then, nine months are probably not enough to learn about local conditions, specially without watching the news or reading the papers. In that case ignorance IS bliss.

When I talk of crime I'm not talking about silly pickpocketing or purse-snatching incidents - there are so common the locals don't even mention them anymore. I'm talking of people being shot dead at noon while waiting for the light to change at an intersection I drive through three times a week.

But by all means, keep feeling unafraid in safe Buenos Aires. I've had it from a reliable source that there's a whole army of guardian angels assigned to protect BA's expats, and they are all pulling double shifts.

tangobob said:
I don't listen to the news or read newspapers, as such I do not "know" anyone who is a victim of crime. So I do not live in fear when I am here. Nor do I lock myself away and hide.
I have probably spent nine months now in BsAs on and off had two attempted pickpockets and one attempted distraction robbery, all totally inept, but never anything violent.
This is no surprise as I have had attempted pickpockets in every major city I have visited, and non of them for more than a fortnight. That makes BsAs statistically (for me anyway) the city with the least crime I have visited.
In saying all this, of course it makes sense to take precautions, like watching out for each other and not putting your wallet where it can be lifted and displaying expensive jewelry and watches.

Great post Tango and to take in perspective I myself have felt much more in danger in San Fransisco, Los Angeles and Miami than I have here. Miami when I visited in 1993 was considered Americas most dangerous city and it felt it.

Buenos Aires is certainly not safe but paranoia is certainly not good for your health as well. To put in perspective 2000 people get killed per year by crime and over 8000 get killed by road accidents in Argentina. These same people who scream CRIME still drive cars without front page articles every day about Buenos Aires rising crime rate. The road toll is appalling in Argentina but the crime seems to get all the attention .

The government can do more and especially in regards to the road toll which is much easier to control than crime .....

SaraSara said:
Some of you are amazingly oblivious of what's going on in Buenos Aires

I'm sure long term residents of washington DC could have said you were equally oblivious to the dangers you were living in.

I don't think we're all oblivious, its just that plenty of us have lived in cities as dangerous or more dangerous than buenos aires.

jp said:
I'm sure long term residents of washington DC could have said you were equally oblivious to the dangers you were living in.

Not so fast.... Why do you assume I was not a long-term resident?

For your information, I lived in downtown Washington, DC, for eleven years. That's long enough to qualify as a long-term resident.

perry said:
You seem to have many issues on this forum accepting that others have different points of views to yours.

I have NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER with people having different opinions from me. BTW, you have no idea if I agree with you on wether BA is safe or not.

My problem is that you are want to use an outdated article (the article is from 2008 but the data in it is older than that) which compares the murder rates in Brazil to civil war in Angola and then you want to use that article to prove it's safe in Argentina. Does not compute.

perry said:
Crime and facts is hardly spreading disinformation and 2008 is only 2 years AGO . JEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ..................

Crime & facts? Apples & oranges.

mini said:
I have NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER with people having different opinions from me. BTW, you have no idea if I agree with you on wether BA is safe or not.

My problem is that you are want to use an outdated article (the article is from 2008 but the data in it is older than that) which compares the murder rates in Brazil to civil war in Angola and then you want to use that article to prove it's safe in Argentina. Does not compute.

Crime & facts? Apples & oranges.

You are trying to deny the facts ? This is from 20 years of government statistics and I doubt if the murder rate in San Paulo or Rio De Janeiro has declined in the last few years and many indicators suggest it is worse .

This is from the US GOVERMENT WEBSITE JUST ON RIO DE JANEIRO BRAZIL

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1072.html
RIO DE JANEIRO: The city continues to experience a high incidence of crime. Tourists are particularly vulnerable to street thefts and robberies in areas adjacent to major tourist attractions and on the main beaches in the city. Violence and crime are most likely to occur in establishments and neighborhoods near favelas without a visible police presence. In August 2010, 10 armed gang members entered a popular five-star hotel in the wealthy Sao Conrado area of Rio after a firefight with police spilled into the hotel.
Rio’s favelas are a subject of curiosity for many U.S. citizen visitors. However, most favelas exist outside the control of city officials and police. You should avoid Rio’s favelas, even those that have been recently “pacified” by the state government. Several local companies offer “favela jeep tours” targeted at foreign tourists. Be aware that neither the tour company nor the city police can guarantee your safety when entering favelas, and that favela tour fees may ultimately be used to support criminal gang activities. In May, 2010, one U.S. tourist and two others were stopped by youths holding AK-47’s and a rocket launcher and held for 20 minutes while the tour guide negotiated with the favela’s leadership.
Do not to take valuable possessions to the beach. Pay close attention to your surroundings and the behavior of those nearby; there have been incidents of robbers and rapists slipping incapacitating drugs into drinks at bars, hotel rooms, or street parties.
While crime occurs throughout the year, it is more frequent during Carnaval and the weeks prior. In the weeks before Carnaval 2009, robbers ransacked two tourist hostels. Two U.S. citizens were also shot and killed by off-duty policemen outside of nightclubs after altercations in 2007 and 2008. Though the vixctims were unarmed, in 2010 the courts upheld verdicts of not guilty by reason of self-defense. Be aware of your surroundings. If robbed, do not attempt to resist or fight back, but ratherrelinquish your personal belongings. Choose lodging carefully, considering security and availability of a safe to store valuables, as well as location.
Attacks against motorists continue, both in Rio and in smaller towns. There have been attacks, including shootings, along trails leading to the famous Corcovado Mountain, on the Red-line road (Linha Vermelha) linking the airport and the Southern Zone of the city. In Rio de Janeiro City, motorists are allowed to treat stoplights as stop signs between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. to protect against holdups at intersections. Travelers should follow police instructions in the event of road closures, and report all incidents to Rio’s tourist police (DEAT) at (21) 2332 2924. The tourist police have been very responsive to victims and cooperative with the U.S. Consulate.
Manhole cover explosions occur in all areas of Rio. In one 16 day period in 2010, there were three explosions, and in June two U.S. citizens were seriously burned when a manhole cover exploded in Copacabana.

sarasara said:
I lived in Washington, DC, for eleven years.

You likely lived there while it held the dubious accolade of being the murder capital of the US. The fact that you weren't afraid doesn't imply that you weren't in danger - it just means you weren't afraid.

Equally the fact that you are afraid here doesn't mean that you were safer in DC, it just means that you feel less safe here.

I'm not in any way trying to belittle your fears, or imply that BA is a "safe" city - just commenting that the perception of danger and the level of fear people feel will depend on the individual and their circumstances.

perry said:
You are trying to deny the facts ? This is from 20 years of government statistics and I doubt if the murder rate in San Paulo or Rio De Janeiro has declined in the last few years and many indicators suggest it is worse .
I think you have a reading comprehension problem.
Let me say it louder maybe you'll understand:

THE CRIME RATE IN BRAZIL IS NOT RELEVANT. We don't live in Brazil and any source that states that the number of murders in Brazil is anyway relevant to the civil war in Angola is a rubbish source of information.

Sao Paulo BTW.

mini said:
I think you have a reading comprehension problem.
Let me say it louder maybe you'll understand:

THE CRIME RATE IN BRAZIL IS NOT RELEVANT. We don't live in Brazil and any source that states that the number of murders in Brazil is anyway relevant to the civil war in Angola is a rubbish source of information.

Sao Paulo BTW.

If you do not like this thread you can read another. I am sure that the hundreds of thousands of mothers who lost loved ones in gunfights find it VERY RELEVANT !!!

Why are you trying to stifle different opinions to yours? Its ironic but you are not one of those who complained loudest about the Government takeover of Clarin .;)

Back