Argentina dream

Fabe said:
I think that much of the negative attirude tat grows in some people has to do with the fact that argentina is mostly sold as something its not . I stopped being the paris of south america before the 1920s , it it ever was at all.
Argentina , un pais con buena gente - me thinks not

I have worked here for many years and understand the mindset of people very well here. I can tell you something though Fabe people from Buenos Aires are many many more times more courteous than those from New York imho . I can give you many examples of this but this is not the tread to do this.

I was born here , I can debate this also , in what thread you feel like creating for that debate. :)

Fabe said:
I was born here , I can debate this also , in what thread you feel like creating for that debate. :)

Fabe to be too cynical is not a positive thing. Can I ask you a question though . Where do you prefer to live USA or Argentina and please give your reasons why life is better or worse .

Most everyone in this forum complaints- or rather blows steam- about this city. Making one or another user a scapegoat for that quiet common attitude is just... unfair.

I'm not saying this place isn't well moderated. It is, and I thank the onwer and mods for that work. But maybe it'd be a good thing to apartheid the newcomers and expat life sections into negative feedback or steamblowing on one side and help/suggestions/recommendations/experienes,etc on the other.

it'd seem that every thread derails first into complaining then into impromptu personal feuds (should I say flame wars?). That's fine and for some fun, but I'm not sure how it helps this Turkish girl.

So, Aysun, you seem to live in a rather beautiful, or stunning, coastal town, in a real up and coming country (honestly, as Turkey keeps getting stronger it will become a vey prosperous, and culturally neutral, bridge between Europe, Russia, and SW Asia.
Napoleon (the historical midget, no the member of this forum) observed that should there be a Global Empire, its Capital would HAVE to be in Istambol.

In Buenos Aires you'll find a different but adaptable culture. It's different as in it's utterly isolated, making it comparatively expensive and eventually dull. However it's also a rather Mediterranean culture as well, and no doubt any Turkish will adapt more easily than say, Americans or Northern Europeans - as they have adapted in the past. Should you move here, in no time you'll probably pass as a porteña. That said, pay attention to the warnings - Argentina is g'damn isolated place - reasons to stay long-term usually boil down to very personal issues.

To Perry .
Its no easy answer to your question . Cant answer it succintly.
The issue of preffrence, i wouldnt apply it to location. Im not here because i prefer to e here , Im here because i came here to recover a property that was occupied illegally , Im STUCK here because I need to restore this place and rescue it from the vandalism that was layed upon it.
I DID have plans in 94 to actually DO something here.
I also had plans in 2008 , when i came here and saw possibilities.
That enthusiasm was slowly erroded.
I supose the biggest rant i have is having to listen to portenios telling me that they are THE brightest in the world , and seeing its not so . It frustrates me like nothing to hear that "oh ! , you can get anything here " and that not be the case by a long shot.
I feel that those that are all shinny happy people about this place dont see the realities of this place.
Much like going on vacation to Jamaica , and not seeing the slums just outside the hotel zone.
Its difficult to answer that question you posed. There are things about the states that I do not like also . But at I find that in the states , not too many people make excuses about the status quo.
Again , i think that I vent here because these are the things I am living , the experiences I am having . Im not a hater or a complainer for the sake of complaining.
I feel that expecially the bonaerenses , make excuses in order to not see the realities of how so down the drain this place is going. There is a widespread lack of self criticism. People prefer to ignore and more importantly DENY those things than actually do anything about it .
Its a shame , I poured allot of energy and actually SAW good things here , and its potential for development. But Ive come to beleive that a people , or a contry cannot get ahead on potential alone.

Fabe said:
I think that much of the negative attirude tat grows in some people has to do with the fact that argentina is mostly sold as something its not . I stopped being the paris of south america before the 1920s , it it ever was at all.
Argentina , un pais con buena gente - me thinks not

I think you have hit the nail on the head here.. I am still seeing articles in mags/news papers saying how cheap argentina/BSAS is, thats its the paris of the south etc etc.. Which it is clearly not anymore.. And for alot of people the cost of living is part of the reason to move somewhere.. But if you want to learn tango, or just love tango - where else would you want to go ????.. And there will be other similar reasons that people have for coming here.

However there are lots of reasons why people come and love or hate the place, or as with me have a love hate relationship with BSAS.

For some reason my last post was deleted..it read almost exactly as follows: "Merhaba Aysun. I lived in Istanbul for 6 years and after in Buenos Aires for 1 year. Send me a private message if you want to chat"
Why would this post be deleted?

Hi guys,
Thank you very much for all your comments. I'm quite confused now.
I have quite a few skills. Studied electronics and business administration in the uni. Can cook well, have good interpersonal communication skills, good at organising activities....

I can tell about me more, later.
Good night :)
Aysun

Hope you're able to make your dream a reality, Aysun, and that BA is everything you'd hope it'd be. :D Getting your papers in order to be able to work legally will be a challenging bit as well as finding a company willing to hire a foreigner. Having a degree, knowing English, and hopefully learning Spanish well will make your life a lot easier.

As for the Paris of South America... my Argentine boyfriend made it clear to me... it's the "Paris of South America" emphasis on South America... which is a bit different than saying it's equal or close to Paris. :)

I told my visiting family to expect something more along the lines of Detroit.. haha That way there's not much disappointment. ;)

BA is actually not a bad city, I just think the most frustrating part of it is the waste of potential. It easily could be just as great as any leading US or European city, but the government and the people need to get themselves in order. Many people left Europe for a better life here, there's no reason that cannot be repeated. Spain and Italy weren't that much better off several decades ago and they came a long way (current financial crisis aside.) :p

Back