Argentina dream

I've been to Istanbul and it's absolutely the Paris of Turkey, and probably was more so before they moved the government.

Buenos Aires is like Istanbul, only more churches and fewer mosques.

So if you wish that the people in Istanbul spoke Spanish, then you'll love Buenos Aires.

PS- If I were you, I would load up your luggage with rugs/carpets before you come and then find a dealer as soon as you get here and sell them. With the restrictions on imports, those things should be worth a lot of money. (That's is not a joke. That would be my #1 piece of advice.)

Eclair said:
As for the Paris of South America... my Argentine boyfriend made it clear to me... it's the "Paris of South America" emphasis on South America... which is a bit different than saying it's equal or close to Paris.

Buenos Aires was considered the Latin American version of Paris during the Belle Époque.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belle_Époque

Eclair said:
I told my visiting family to expect something more along the lines of Detroit.. haha That way there's not much disappointment.

This is probably an unfair comparrison...unless you are living in a villa miseria.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villa_miseria

Napoleon said:
I've been to Istanbul and it's absolutely the Paris of Turkey, and probably was more so before they moved the government.

Buenos Aires is like Istanbul, only more churches and fewer mosques.

So if you wish that the people in Istanbul spoke Spanish, then you'll love Buenos Aires.

PS- If I were you, I would load up your luggage with rugs/carpets before you come and then find a dealer as soon as you get here and sell them. With the restrictions on imports, those things should be worth a lot of money. (That's is not a joke. That would be my #1 piece of advice.)

Thanks Napoleon :) I'll think about carpet business. Maybe you can help me for this option.

How much do you like Armenians? check out www.kalpakian.com

You could also somehow work in tourism, promoting the part of Turkey you come from which is nicer than most of Greece :)

Matt84 said:
How much do you like Armenians? check out www.kalpakian.com

You could also somehow work in tourism, promoting the part of Turkey you come from which is nicer than most of Greece :)

Thanks Matt,
I have no problem with any race, opposite I have lots of friends from all the races :)

Kalpakian looks like a great store.
Thanks for the ideas; carpet/tourism... I feel a bit more hopeful :)

Aysun said:
Hi there,
I'm living in Antalya/Turkey right now but moving and living in Argentina is a great dream for me.quote]

Aysun,
Have you been to Argentina? If not, visiting it for 1-2 months first would be a good idea. If you have been there already, what tempts you to move there?

Sockhopper said:
Aysun said:
Hi there,
I'm living in Antalya/Turkey right now but moving and living in Argentina is a great dream for me.quote]

Aysun,
Have you been to Argentina? If not, visiting it for 1-2 months first would be a good idea. If you have been there already, what tempts you to move there?

No, not yet but I'm planning to visit at least....and then I can decide to move or not.
I've heard a lot of good things about Argentina from many friends who have been there already.
Thanks this forum, I hear all the bad things about it too :)

Hey Aysun,

Just a word of advice from me: although I have only been living here 4 months, I have a lot of Argentine friends (including an Argentine girlfriend for over a year) and have seen (to an extent) both sides of the coin, being the travelling side (I spent a few weeks here in BA in late 2010 and longer in the north of Argentina) and the living side (now).

I can assure you, living here longer term (and working here) is significantly different to being here as a short term tourist. Argentina has fabulous landscape and Buenos Aires has much to offer, however there a few challenges as well. I think it is a great idea for you to come and visit first (if you can). Reading this site, as you already are will prepare you well also. Best of luck!!

Back