Argentina economic outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the New York Times and The Wall Street Journal what would you call them free reporting Stan ?
Extreme right wing journalists like Mary Anasatia O Grady have made it their duty to misinform the public about South America and especially Argentina. Her comments for the public record will shock many here . She has commended the Argentine military for bringing order to society here. Yeah right 30000 people were killed Mary Anastatia O Grady but that was just collateral damage to her and her friends. I also suggest that you read the link below for a great report from a excellent USA journalist who resides in Buenos Aires now.

OpinionJournal - WSJ.com

GoodAirs: More than a bad translation of "Buenos Aires": Dictatorships, Castration and Vélez Sársfield

Hi Stan, thanks for the link you provided but the 'four letter word' that you label him (the author) with does not balance when I read his article. Independent 'thinking' that doesn't gel with the mainstream (mob) finance media does not automatically equate to 'left wingers under the bed' stereo typing, sorry.

No one is defending Chavez here, certainly not me, politically idealist labels diminish clear discussions on these forums. At such a critical point in our modern history, please lets stick to the maths.

ricardo9000 said:
Hi Stan, thanks for the link you provided but the 'four letter word' that you label him (the author) with does not balance when I read his article.

This is an american debating technique. You don't have to prove anything, you can just deny any argument right away by saying that your opponent is immoral (anti-american, paid government agent, a commie, a thief or just an unworthy person protecting his mercantile interests). I've heard it so many times from the tube, that I used to it. Usually works as a charm.

citygirl said:
I do think they underestimated the drop in pricing for commodities ...

When you talk about commodities (not only here but in parallel threads as well), do you mean "all commodities"? I expect prices of wheat at some point to behave very different from prices of natural oil, for example.

Fettucini said:
At first I thought maybe it was written by a pro-Argentine-government person, as to see such a swing in reasoning from everything I read in the international press regarding Argentina was strange, but it appears the writer is an important economist from the US, from a very credible firm.

Regardless of where Argentina is heading this important economist from the almighty US that works for a very credible firm became important so that he could make himself some money and that credible firm he works for gained its credibility so that it could gain some Money. That guys credibility is probably for sale at a very low price and so what if he'd get this one wrong, he could always excuse his report with external circumstances or freak happenings or god knows what. A good question is why did he care enough to write that report in the first place? The answer is because somebody asked him to and then the question is why did they do that? And the answer to that is that they wanted something showed so he being the good little boy that he is wrote up for them exactly what they wanted and then cashed his big fat check.

Fettucini said:
At first I thought maybe it was written by a pro-Argentine-government person, as to see such a swing in reasoning from everything I read in the international press regarding Argentina was strange, but it appears the writer is an important economist from the US, from a very credible firm.

CEPR - Argentina: The Crisis That Isn't

Do you think this is a realistic or optimistic view of Argentina?

Why then do all the international press say the opposite? This report looks pretty well researched I think. Is there something missing here?

First I think there is confusion on what CEPR is. There are two organizations that go by this name and do the same thing. One is a well known organization based in London. The one we are discussing is basically this guy and his partner. This organization was set-up in 1999, odd that they picked the same name as the other organization, would have thought it would have occurred to them that this would be confusing(maybe this was the idea). Link below to the 2 organizations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CEPR

The way I judge the credibility of a report like this or the author is to look at other things they have written. In this case the author has written a lot of stuff much of it political that had nothing to do with economics. He seems to change hats frequently depending on what he is writing about. He also wrote an article about the suitcase scandal in Argentina(link below, he got it completely wrong in my opinion). He is a well known far left guy and known for his support of Chavez.

In my opinion his credibility and objectivity is certainly suspect. Everybody can read his stuff and decide for themselves.

Mark Weisbrot: "Suitcase Scandal" is Another Foreign Policy Blunder

Yes perhaps your right, maybe he was a good old U S of A economist paid by the Argentine government to write the report in their favor - it was something i considered when i first read it, but then thought probably not. To be honest though i haven't checked the figures in his report so they could be wrong and it is the only bit of positive writing i've seen about the government in the past 8 months.

Its fine to question the credibility of that report . It certainly has more facts than any other I have read in other media snippets.

I would like a reply from the people who frequent this forum . Is why you put so much crebility in journals like Wall Street Journal and New York Times when many of their reports have been damn wrong and biased. I have given on this forum many facts to correlate what I have said.

There seems to be a lot of silence on this issue and this bothers me as it seems that we are condoning the misinformation fed to us .

My silence is from a lack of knowledge. I subscribe to the theory of commenting on what I only know about, otherwise I post it in question form.

I have no respect for the New York Times. I have read it all my life however I am just about finished with the paper. The paper no longer reports the news objectively. Their editorial policy has crossed over to the news articles. The Wall Street Journal is another matter. Editorial policy is clearly pro capitalist, however news reports are not only better written but are also balanced and well researched.

As for Stan's comment....What is the "four letter word" he used? "Left leaning"? Igor comments that it is an "American debating technique" to use such words to discredit individuals (I assume he is referring to political candidates) and their positions. There is some truth to this, however Igor refers only to attacks by the "left" on the "right". Are "liberals" innocent of making nasty charges against "conservatives". I see the word "right wing" thrown around very freely on this website, with very little clarification. In some cases "anti-American" is not just a superficial insult. Let's take William Ayers, for example. He has admitted that he bombed the Pentagon and Capitol in the 1970's and he reaffirmed, as recently as 2001, that he was only sorry that he had not bombed more. I consider that anti-American. Let us take the Reverend Jeremiah Wright. He has preached on how 9/11 was somehow justified, shouting repeatedly in his sermon "GOD DAMN AMERICA". I consider that anti-American. Let us take Minister Louis Farahkan. He has called Hitler "a great man" and Judaism a "gutter religion". Those statements may not be "anti-American" but they are certainly anti-human and "fascist". Incidentally, Wright was Obama's pastor for over 20 years, Ayers is a friend (Obama even wrote a glowing review of one of his books a few years ago), and Farahkan received a very important lifetime achievement award from Obama's church. I find all of these, and many other things, deeply troubling about Obama. I dont have to throw around words like "unpatriotic" "extremist" "anti-American" etc. I can cite many troubling examples.

Sergio, I thought this was a thread about Argentina's economic outlook. If you wish to chat about Obama's friends, perhaps start another thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back