Argentina extended Visa option?

The document they made me sign and gave me a copy of, says 15,000 pesos, i overstayed by a few months- and they also made me sign a document saying the airline didn’t do it when I checked in- honestly Ive never done it before so didn’t know this was an airline thing, and the police chief seemed more pissed off and delighted to ‘grab’ the airline for the mistake—- and slap them with that 300.000 peso fine than out for me.

In any case, I will indeed pay it now.

The document they made me sign and gave me a copy of, says 15,000 pesos, i overstayed by a few months- and they also made me sign a document saying the airline didn’t do it when I checked in- honestly Ive never done it before so didn’t know this was an airline thing, and the police chief seemed more pissed off and delighted to ‘grab’ the airline for the mistake—- and slap them with that 300.000 peso fine than out for me.

The $15,000 peso fine/fee applies to anyone who has overstayed by more than four years and/or the date of their entry cannot be "established" and now it looks like it also applies to anyone "caught" trying to leave without paying, even if (as in your case) you weren't aware of the dire consequences that would follow as a result of an airline employee not enforcing the rules.

I think it would be well worth the effort of starting a new topic regarding your experience. Unless they want to pay the $15,000 fine, expats who have overstayed their 90 day visa should know about this and insist on paying the overstay fee prior to check-in, even if the airline employee doesn't tell them to do so.

That is undoubtedly far less likely to happen in the future as I'm sure every airline employee involved with check in procedures is now aware of your case.

Instead of using the tourist visa, can we change it to a residency visa? We're a family from the US who want to live in Argentina for one year (want kids to learn Spanish). The kids are 6, 8, and 10 years old. We entered on a tourist visa and can extend every 90 days by going abroad...but, I'm reading that there is another type of residency visa that could work for us? My husband and I are not planning to work while here but live off investments / savings. Should we try to change the visa and will that provide us with DNI? We need to find a place to live in BA which may be hard without a visa...also for kids' school - they would likely prefer that we have a residency visa. Any thoughts?

Instead of using the tourist visa, can we change it to a residency visa? We're a family from the US who want to live in Argentina for one year (want kids to learn Spanish). The kids are 6, 8, and 10 years old. We entered on a tourist visa and can extend every 90 days by going abroad...but, I'm reading that there is another type of residency visa that could work for us? My husband and I are not planning to work while here but live off investments / savings. Should we try to change the visa and will that provide us with DNI? We need to find a place to live in BA which may be hard without a visa...also for kids' school - they would likely prefer that we have a residency visa. Any thoughts?

If you enter "visa rentista" in the search box and click on "search titles only" you will find many threads on the subject.

In order to qualify for the visa rentists you will need to "prove" that you have a "stable" source of foreign income in the amount equivalent to $30,000 pesos per month that will continue uninterrupted for two years (even if you are only planning to stay in Argentina for only one year). The monthly income could change at any time. The last time it changed went from $8000 to $30,000 pesos per month. At the time both of these increased occurred the new monthly dollar equivalent was $2000, but once the temporary residency is granted you will not have to re-qualify at the new level (unless you renew for a second year).

The income can be generated from an annuity or rents from property or interest income from CD's, etc. It will have to be verified by a CPA and/or a bank officer in the USA. All of the documentation will have to be notarized and receive the Apostille in the USA and then be translated and "legalized" in Argentina.

You will also need FBI reports (only for the adults) which will have to be "certified" by the State Department before they are sent to
any address you specify in the USA. There are special handlers/expediters who can help get this done fairly quickly (as well as send the completed reports to you).

I can tell you from experience that is possible to apply for the visa rentista here. It will be much easier if you a have a friend or family member in the USA who can help get the apostille for the documents that verify your income in the USA and send them to you in Argentina (along with the FBI reports), but it is also possible to pay a service like apostille.com to accomplish this task.

I think it's "safe" to say that, even if everything goes smoothly, it will take at least three months (from the day you start the process of getting your docs) before you can begin to expect to receive your DNI's. If the latest post on the subject was accurate, after you receive the precarias and you are waiting for your DNI's to arrive, you will not be able to leave the country, even for a quick trip to Chile or Uruguay for cultural purposes.

PS: Even after you and your husband (and the kids) have your DNIs, it will still be difficult for you to rent a place to live for more than six months at a time.

PS2: I have never tried to enroll a kid in school, with or without a DNI, but I wonder how many schools would be willing to enroll any children, especially children who don't speak Spanish, at any time of the year except the start of the annual term (which I believe is in March).

Thank you so much for your thoughts - super helpful.

Re schools - we've been corresponding with several for months and have final interviews with five arranged for next week when school is back in session. Middle of the school year with kids speaking very little Spanish...One has already accepted us fully.

So - assuming we can get the school thing finalized and we need to find a place to live within the next month anyway, uncertain if it makes sense to go through the whole visa process as you describe above...as it will take months. By then hopefully we have the living and school thing figured out - not sure why else we would really need DNI or the visa? Any other benefits? Instead staying on a tourist visa may just be easier.

So - assuming we can get the school thing finalized and we need to find a place to live within the next month anyway, uncertain if it makes sense to go through the whole visa process as you describe above...as it will take months. By then hopefully we have the living and school thing figured out - not sure why else we would really need DNI or the visa? Any other benefits? Instead staying on a tourist visa may just be easier.

Just having a DNI will not make renting a place to live for more than six months any easier. Long term rentals usually run for two (or possibly three) years and are almost always unfurnished. You would also need a guarantee and I don't think you would be able to "buy" a guarantee based on foreign income. I suggest you search for a "temporary" furnished rental. Even if you can only rent "legally" for six months at a time, I imagine most owners will be happy to agree to renew for an additional six months.

Update- I left EZE today and the fine is now 15,000 pesos. Moreover I forgot exactly at what point during the process I would be told to pay and apparently the girl who checked me in didn’t notice (I speak Rioplatense Spanish fluently) and once I got to the control de pasaportes, I was summoned to a special room where the chief of airport police made me sign a document stating I owe Argentina 15.000 AR and the airline was fined 300.000 pesos for letting me almost slide without paying. I can either pay upon my return (weird? I assume it’s pay whatever the fine is at that point in time) or have someone pay it for me at Banco Nación but they let me go without paying after signing this IOU type document.

They are really cracking down. The chief of police told me if my mom is Argy she suggested going ahead with obtaining a 3rd passport. :0

About 7 years ago, I flew BsAs - Mendoza - Santiago.

I was not a legal resident and had to pay the penalty for overstaying.

They didn't charge me in BsAs because they were dealing only with my flight to Mendoza, in Mendoza there was nobody from the airline to talk to so no deal there either. So the issue came up only at passport control in Mendoza. The clerk sent me over to the head of immigration there, who besides for making me pay, considered it his patriotic duty to retarme for flouting the country's laws. I explained, with some humor, the difficulties and why it takes so long to gain residency. Moving on from lecturing me, soon enough he was explaining me Mendozans' relationship to Chile, especially why Argentines can never forgive the Chileans for their traitorous conduct in the Falklands War. (Never mind that they were quite explicit that once they were done with England, Chile in Tierra del Fuego would be next...)

Bottom line is, I paid my 300 peso fine in cash, got a receipt, and was on my way in 20 minutes.

Last edited:

Renting, schooling and medical services does not need to have a green card / residency / DNI.
You should look for rentista.

Just having a DNI will not make renting a place to live for more than six months any easier. Long term rentals usually run for two (or possibly three) years and are almost always unfurnished. You would also need a guarantee and I don't think you would be able to "buy" a guarantee based on foreign income. I suggest you search for a "temporary" furnished rental. Even if you can only rent "legally" for six months at a time, I imagine most owners will be happy to agree to renew for an additional six months.

Guarantee is not needed any more, check it out: finaer. It is an ensurance that replace the nightmare of the garantia.

Can you please scan it and post it?

Back