Argentina questions allied attacks on Gaddafi

Russia, China, the Arab League and the African Union have all condemned or expressed regret over the bombings. Bolivia, Nicaragua and Venezuela have also criticized them. So hardly strange that Argentina does as well.

But yeah, this will give you haters another reason to hate. Which you do so well.

The Arab League publicly stated its support of the air strikes at a news conference today:

Speaking at a news conference in the Egyptian capital Cairo with UN secretary-general Ban Ki-moon, Arab League leader Amr Moussa appeared to row back from earlier criticism of the air strikes on Libya.

"The Arab League position on Libya was decisive and from [the] first moment we froze membership of Libya ... Then we asked the United Nations to implement a no-fly zone and we respect the UN resolution and there is no conflict with it," he said. "It is for protecting civilians and that is what we care about."

Amargo said:
Who are we to decide for the libyans? What if they want him to stay for 40 more years? I am for stopping him in his attackas on the rebels, the rebels have to be stopped too. Seat down and discuss. War is conducing nowhere (other than filling the books of some companies with close ties to Western governments).
The UN decided a no-fly zone should be guaranteed, not this carnage what's ocurring now.

And how exactly are the Libyans going to decide if not for uprising and rebellion? There is no political structure in the country to allow for anyone to express any views against him. Opposition doesn't exist and isn't allowed. Political parties don't exist and aren't allowed. There is no way other than an uprising/rebellion to express the fact that they don't want him there anymore.

"We" didn't decide. The people did.

Come on... Who in his sane mind thinks the attacks have been done for protecting civilians?

Muammar, what was it already ? Oh yes, "Bunga-Bunga" :p

Nevertheless, those attacks are a joke for many valid reasons (but I can't feel sorry for him though).

Amargo said:
First, I, in no way pretend to defend the Kirchners.

But FYI there are a lot of countries against this indiscriminate attacks by the US, UK and France, and those include China, Germany, Russia, the whole Arab league. The one thing is stopping the attacks on the rebels, the other things is firing HUNDREDS of missiles and bombs against all kind of targets. I am very sorry for the civilian casualties, about which we barely will hear anything as we are being bombarded with propaganda by the US/UK. Like in Afghanistan, where thousands of innocent civilians are killed every year. There was even a former CIA boss saying that the drone killings are the RIGHT of the USA as they are fighting their enemies :eek:
Sarkozy really wants to 'erase' Gaddafi because he's afraid someone would uncover the financial aid he received on his way to presidency.

I am afraid France/US/UK are again starting a bloodbath to stop a
blodbath!

Just some months ago Gadaffi was best friends and holding hands with Tony Blair, Condoleeza Rice, Berlusconi...just for the oil, as Gaddafi has always been a tyranne. And now there they go, trying to secure access to oil. Why there was no intervention in Sri Lanka to protect the rebels? why have they left Somalia? No oil, no protection? What a hypocrisy!

This is the first time I agree unequivacobly with your opinion . Human society has reached a terrible stage when savage murder of civilians is used as a pretext of restoring democracy .

Iraq was the same argument where the western powers used this argument to protect the Iraq citizens from the brutal attacks of Saddam Hussein but 10 years later over one million iraq citizens have been killed and millions dispaced in the name of democracy . This is a farce as witnessed by the brutal occupation in the name of freedom in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The world is turning into a more violent place and people are becoming desentisized to this violence calling it collateral damage or other trivial terms . Wars never solve anything but they sow tragedy and human sufferings that destroy the human heart and create resentment for many many generations.

It's obviously about oil. It's always about oil. The US talk that it's about something else? -yeah right

Here is actually a summary of criticism from Wikipedia of the operation.

Russia's foreign ministry said that it noted "with regret this armed action, taken in conjunction with the hastily passed U.N. Security Council resolution 1973".[77] On 21 March, Prime Minister Vladimir Putin described the resolution as "defective and flawed" stating that "it allows everything" and "resembles medieval calls for crusades.",[78] comments that were later called “unacceptable” by the Russian President Dmitry Medvedev.[79][80] However on the same day Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov commented after a meeting with the Secretary-General of the Arab League, Amr Moussa, that Moscow supported the Arab League resolution which had called for a no-fly zone over Libya.[81]
China's foreign ministry said that it has "serious reservations"[82] about a UN decision calling for a no-fly zone over Libya and regretted the military strike against Libya.[83] Along with Russia, China said the resolution's backers failed to explain adequately how the no-fly zone would work and what the rules of engagement would be.[82]
A committee of five member states of the African Union demanded an immediate end to the attacks on Libya. However South African government officials have voiced concern that three of the five committee members are "financially reliant on Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi" and questioned whether South Africa should even be part of this committee.[84][85]
Gaddafi called the air strikes terrorism "and vowed to fight to the death." [86]
Cuba,[87] Iran,[88] Venezuela,[89] and Zimbabwe[90] have each condemned the military intervention in Libya.
Bolivian President Evo Morales, the 2006 recipient of the Al-Gaddafi International Prize for Human Rights, demanded that U.S. President Barack Obama be stripped of his Nobel Peace Prize for authorizing the attack against Libya.

Looks to me to be mainly from other authoritarian regimes that don't like the idea of elections and democracy. Perhaps their real concern is that the same fate could befall their governments.

guys with all due respect, i think this is an extremely easy call to make.

it is painfully obvious that the UN and the allied forces have stepped in to attack libya in order to protect British and US oil investments. the same lies and phony logic that were used to displace saddam hussein are now being used against gaddafi.

let's get this straight, the UN, the US, france et al do not give a damn about the Libyan people. by this same logic, we should be invading china. we should be invading russia. we should be in the congo, darfur, north korea, myanmar and every other country where its citizens are being treated unfairly by a petty tyrant.

it is amazing the level of hypocrisy going on here that is not being recognized. gaddafi has been a puppet petty dictator for 40 years, propped up with money, weapons, technology and military training/consulting by the british and the US. and now, the same people that put him in power are taking him out of power because he has now become expendable. he is no longer useful to their agenda. and so they double cross him just like they double crossed hussein and all the other petty dictators before him.

this is game. it is a formula that has been used and followed for decades. now don't get me wrong, i'm no gaddafi supporter. but i'm also not a supporter of the UN deciding to attack a country without a single US congressman or citizen voting on it. since when did the UN get to decide whether or not the US or any other country will engage in military conflict against another nation? this sets an extremely dangerous precedent where an international body has authority over sovereign governments.

it's time we start thinking three dimensionally and look past the propaganda and phony rhetoric. there is almost always another agenda being pushed when it occurs on the world stage.

i think former member of paliament george galloway sums it up best in this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTcc--fIHUQ

Back