Argentina questions allied attacks on Gaddafi

marksoc said:
After watching "Inside Job" it is obvious that almost anything that the US does it is to favour some CEOs to make more money for themselves, this thing included, so oil is the objective, and the beneficiaries must have a name and be around Obama this time.

I'm glad to see that Hollywood is your source of information and inspiration.

Napoleon said:
1) I'm wondering if the argument is that everyone should have just stood back and watched hundreds of thousands of people get slaughtered. I'm not sure if that's what the argument is for, but it seems a little Gladiator Loving Romanesque to me.

Just wondering what should have been done? Nothing? Just wondering. Please respond.

I understand that it's all about oil. I just don't understand how anyone on here can argue for the alternative.

Well, here is the answer:

marksoc said:
After watching "Inside Job" it is obvious that almost anything that the US does it is to favour some CEOs to make more money for themselves, this thing included, so oil is the objective, and the beneficiaries must have a name and be around Obama this time.

So, to go back to the question, "what should the US do?" the answer appears to be official: nothing.

Amargo, are you with marksoc on this? If not,
Napoleon said:
Just wondering what should have been done? Nothing? Just wondering. Please respond.

(all emphasis is mine)

You avoided answering my questions Amargo...why did you deliberately avoid them..was it too hard?

I'll only ask you one more time:

Tell me...what is happening in the Middle East at the moment with all the pro democracy demonstrations?

Are they all just some CIA/NEW WORLD ORDER/UN/ILLUMINATI/ LIZARDS from OUTER SPACE CONSPIRACY??? ..is that what you really think?

Didn't the PEOPLE of Egypt decide they wanted democracy? or not?

What is your analysis of Bahrain? Was it a great move to bring in an external security force to slaughter Bahrainies just cause they dared to plead for democracy?

EDIT: How would you feel if Cristina ordered in foreign troops/mercenaries from Chile to come into BsAs to shoot & slaughter pro democracy demonstrators in Plaza de Mayo? If you agree with letting Gaddafi do what he wants, then you agree with the same thing happening here.

Amargo said:
You should learn to respect other opinions. There are millions of people who are against these savage attacks. One thing is a no-fly zone, this just went way too far.
The same press who now turns against Gaddafi (surely fed by the US/UK/France) was just months ago praising him.
I am sorry, they cannot play like that with me.

The rebels are not exactly democracy material. "Inside Job" is a documentary; a very well researched film that has on its side the fact that all the culprits do not feel very guilty about what they did so their tracks are not hidden at all. Everything in that doc is true, and how. I don´t know how somebody can dismiss it so easily, when the facts are not hearsay, but are on record, official documents, video, etc.

What the US should have done? Mmm, if they wanted a regime change, they could ask first their saudi friends, or how about that eternal hole, Burma (Myanmar)? Or maybe do nothing, it would be fun to see how Sarkozy plan to win the French elections if he needed to do the attack by himself. There will be no real democracy in Libya in any case,and Libyans would be better off without the attack (Irak anybody?).

How would you feel if Cristina ordered in foreign troops/mercenaries from Chile to come into BsAs to shoot & slaughter pro democracy demonstrators in Plaza de Mayo? If you agree with letting Gaddafi do what he wants, then you agree with the same thing happening here.

marksoc said:
The rebels are not exactly democracy material. "Inside Job" is a documentary; a very well researched film that has on its side the fact that all the culprits do not feel very guilty about what they did so their tracks are not hidden at all. Everything in that doc is true, and how. I don´t know how somebody can dismiss it so easily, when the facts are not hearsay, but are on record, official documents, video, etc.

What the US should have done? Mmm, if they wanted a regime change, they could ask first their saudi friends, or how about that eternal hole, Burma (Myanmar)? Or maybe do nothing, it would be fun to see how Sarkozy plan to win the French elections if he needed to do the attack by himself. There will be no real democracy in Libya in any case,and Libyans would be better off without the attack (Irak anybody?).

marksoc said:

You did miss the rather cruical point that the Libyans are revolting yes? The "West" isn't unilaterally attacking - they're protecting the Libyan citizens that are revolting against a dictator.

Sorry if I'm mistaken...but wasn't the dictator supported by the US?

Of course he was! he was holding hands with Condoleeza Rice not so long ago. Now, I don't want to bash the USA, before the same people come up playing the victims again. The UK, France, Italy, Denmark, Canada and Belgium also jumped on the boat.

How can you preach peace with missiles? This is not sane.

Glad to see more and more countries oppose this savage attacks. Today also Turkey voiced discontent. Containing Gaddafi is one thing, but all the civilian casualties and the massive bombing...not in my name!

Its an interesting argument I think - there will always be one country that sees itself as the world policeman and because it has the firepower will exercise it for whatever the real agenda is at the time... (yes - with the cooperation of other nations who, for various reasons, feel they need to go along for the ride...)

Does the US - or any other nation for that matter - have some sort of ''God given right'' to interfere in the affairs of a sovereign nation - without their permission or to attack that nation without provocation? I think not...

And at the end of the day - is this REALLY about protecting the Libyan people? Don't make me laugh - Gaddafi has been in power for a very long time (since 1969) - why NOW this sudden change of heart on the part of the West ? :) lol Ah - thats right - don't tell me - this is the first time his regime has abused its power or something... (ROTFLMAO)

Will we ever learn? - Iraq is now worse off because of the west sticking its nose in - the cost in human life has been enormous - and the cost to western tax payers is in the trillions of dollars (or more now) - the same for Afghanistan - in each case we have succeeded in achieving very few things - but achieving them well:

1. These countries are WORSE off than they were before.
2. The people in these countries now hate us MORE than they did before.
3. When the West versus East clash finally comes they will hit us HARD - *very* hard - and both from within and without - with plenty of home grown volunteers in each Western nation more than willing to die to take us down...
4. Al Qaeda (which has strong links to the rebels in Libya) is laughing itself sick - realizing that when we help to affect regime change there will be a void created into which yet another Al Qaeda/islamic fundamentalist friendly regime will all fall really nicely into place...

Bottom line: It may offend the ''moral sensibilities'' of some but ''democracy'' is not the panacea to all the world's ills - in some cultures and countries there has never been anything like a real democracy - because in those countries it does not work and can never work - it will never work in Iraq, it will never work in Afghanistan and it will never work in Libya...

I guess the way to look at it is this - if what the west wants is a much less stable middle east that is more and more Al Qaeda friendly then that is what it achieving beautifully :) lol

The upside ? There is none...

Are we unbelievably stupid and gullible? Yes...

Will we - when the time comes - pay a terrible price for our unprovoked attacks on - and messing around in the politics of - middle eastern nations whenever we are told that its the ''right'' thing to do? Yep...

Just had to whack my 2 cents worth in there :)

Back