Argentina re-opening international flights in August!

I find it strange that a repatriation flight would be sold under a "hot sale" discount promotion. International diplomacy meets "On Sale."

Last edited:
This is the article: https://www.iprofesional.com/negocios/319780-low-cost-jetsmart-podra-volar-desde-aeroparque

They usually fly out of Palomar (I've landed here from SCL), but they've tentatively received permission to move operations to Aeroparque and are trying to pick up the old LATAM's former Lima route. The Sept flights to SCL on the Jetsmart website still say "El Palomar *TBA," but this seems likely to be updated soon.
AEP will be closed for improvements until the end of the year. There is a scandal that unions are blocking the owners of the LATAM aircraft from taking them out these days meaning they will be trapped on the ground until at least the end of the year. All domestic flights will move to EZE and perhaps EPA according to ORSNA and ANAC, but for some reason the airline websites are still showing flights ex. AEP.
Once the works are done Jetsmart will go back to AEP, as remember, that they took over Norwegian who had the slots at AEP.

Commercial flights are all still scheduled to resume in SEP, but no one has any idea who will actually be allowed to use them and under what conditions... imagine it will be up in the air until the last minute and some airlines may also postpone the relaunching of their flights if border controls and inter-provincial restrictions are not also lifted in SEP. For this reason most fares are now being sold with free changes until the end of 2021. Don't take an airline sale or flight schedule as a sign that your vacation or travel plans will come true until you are safely off the ground...

There was a piece in today's La Nacion about September's planned commercial flights. The airlines are selling tickets, but the government refuses to confirm when service will resume: "it could be in August, or September, or October".

Unless you are buying business class to Moscow don't buy now. Tickets to the USA are below $600 bucks . You may save a couple hundred but you may face a change of date or Voucher. I'm still waiting for refunds from March unused tickets.

Unless there is a behind the scenes understanding between AR and the commercial airs, pretty soon they are going to have to start canceling first half September flights. The commercial airs usually need about 6 weeks lead time to schedule international routes. This is made easier because right now, there is spare capacity of everything - planes, crew, fuel, takeoff and landing slots. But they still will need more than a month advance notice. Unless there is an agreement unknown to the general public, early September will start getting cancelled soon.

I have been buying cheap fares that I know are likely to be cancelled. When they are cancelled, I call the airline. I tell them I am entitled to a refund and they agree. Then I say, "Look, the airline needs the money and I like the price of this ticket. Why don't you give me a trip credit with no difference in fare and flexible date?" In other words, the airline keeps my money and when the flight schedule returns to normal, the airline flies me for that discounted price on a day of my choosing. It has worked every time. I have a few different trips from EZE to various points in the US in the hopper - all for under $600.

Straight from the horses's mouth, a.k.a. Paola Tamburelli, Civil Aviation head

"No manejamos fechas determinadas. Para nosotros septiembre, agosto, noviembre o diciembre es lo mismo y todo depende de cuando la situación sanitaria nos permita disminuir las restricciones que se están imponiendo para tratar de controlar el desarrollo del virus y de que el Presidente modifique el decreto que estableció la suspensión de vuelos", dijo a LA NACION Paola Tamburelli, titular de la Administración Nacional de Aviación Civil (ANAC), y quien firmó la resolución 144/2020, que suspendió la venta de pasajes."

"BRASILIA/SAO PAULO (REUTERS) - Brazil on Wednesday (July 29) reopened international air travel to foreign tourists"
I assume any country can only hold out as long as the competition. If Brazil, USA, etc. go back to business as usual, how long could Argentina afford to fall behind?

Straight from the horses's mouth, a.k.a. Paola Tamburelli, Civil Aviation head

"No manejamos fechas determinadas. Para nosotros septiembre, agosto, noviembre o diciembre es lo mismo y todo depende de cuando la situación sanitaria nos permita disminuir las restricciones que se están imponiendo para tratar de controlar el desarrollo del virus y de que el Presidente modifique el decreto que estableció la suspensión de vuelos", dijo a LA NACION Paola Tamburelli, titular de la Administración Nacional de Aviación Civil (ANAC), y quien firmó la resolución 144/2020, que suspendió la venta de pasajes."
My best guess is that September will be a transitional period. Semi- free to fly after authorization from the government. Some sort of a mix of tourists from certain countries allowed (Europe or broadly countries with lower contagion rate than Argentina) AND a negative PCR test issued within 72hours.
We will see many flights canceled and consolidated there is no doubt about it but there will be flights in September. There will not be much demand however.

Record ticket sales....Aerolineas Argentinas will continue to offer until August 2 its proposal for discounts and promotions within the framework of the so-called "Hot Week" , according to sources from the flag line....

Back