Argentina re-opening international flights in August!

This was my understanding, however the response from the airline seemed to suggest the flight is exclusively for those with Spanish residency or born in Spain. So not even other EU nationals/residence or those in transit.

It goes against the information Here and from what you've suggested isn't what the entry policy is at the moment.
Not true. They have given you the wrong information. Any EU citizen can fly and enter Spain. I did just that in July and I am not Spanish. And I flew on an AR flight. If you can try to book a flight with Iberia they are cheaper — you have to call them on the phone to book as the flights won’t show up on their website in August but they do have a flight every Sunday.

This is not quite accurate as concerns Argentina: the country-specific advisory is the strictest level: Level 4 - Do Not Travel. Other countries with such a distinction include Afghanistan, North Korea, Russia and the like (but also: Mexico, Brazil, Peru etc).

My point was that technically Argentina was already at a Level 4, as was most of the world until recently (but the infobae article was trying to make a story out of it that wasn't there). The rating system rolled out under the Trump State Dpt has been problematic from the beginning and clearly politics have been involved. For instance, there's no objective reason why Chile would be considered "safer" than ARG and ranked Level 3 when they are 5th globally in cases per million, or why ARG be considered just as dangerous as Syria.

Even Forbes pointed the discrepancies between the new State Dpt rankings and the CDC's, even though they're supposedly coordinating their efforts: Why You Should Check Harvard’s COVID-19 World Hot Spot Map Before Any International Trip.

Not true. They have given you the wrong information. Any EU citizen can fly and enter Spain. I did just that in July and I am not Spanish. And I flew on an AR flight. If you can try to book a flight with Iberia they are cheaper — you have to call them on the phone to book as the flights won’t show up on their website in August but they do have a flight every Sunday.
Was the plane full? Hopefully they are not being massive hypocrites with all these controls and then packing everyone together like sardines and claiming masks/social distancing matters

Was the plane full? Hopefully they are not being massive hypocrites with all these controls and then packing everyone together like sardines and claiming masks/social distancing matters

Here's a glimpse into the future.

Southwest Airlines currently operates many flights a day around the US and so far there aren't reports of people getting covid on their flights.

BusinessInsider.com had a reporter fly from LaGuardia in New York City to Miami with a change of planes in Tennessee. He arrived safely without encounterring any signs of people sick with covid even though some of the promised safeguards were missing during the trip.

Given how norovirus decimated cruise ships in the last few years we'd expect that airplanes and airports would also be places where lots of people would contract covid. I wonder what Southwest and other airlines are doing differently.

planea to Spain are full mostly yes. Wear a mask and you’d be fine.
Here's a glimpse into the future.

Southwest Airlines currently operates many flights a day around the US and so far there aren't reports of people getting covid on their flights.

BusinessInsider.com had a reporter fly from LaGuardia in New York City to Miami with a change of planes in Tennessee. He arrived safely without encounterring any signs of people sick with covid even though some of the promised safeguards were missing during the trip.

Given how norovirus decimated cruise ships in the last few years we'd expect that airplanes and airports would also be places where lots of people would contract covid. I wonder what Southwest and other airlines are doing differently.

It s been well established that planes are NOT a good place to get Covid. Yes it’s a tight space with lots of people next to each other for an extended period of time but the air is constantly being filtered and air circulation goes in such a way it pushes droplets to the floor. Add to this a mandatory mask as it’s very very difficulty to get exposed to Covid.
Cruise ships are a different story.

It s been well established that planes are NOT a good place to get Covid. Yes it’s a tight space with lots of people next to each other for an extended period of time but the air is constantly being filtered and air circulation goes in such a way it pushes droplets to the floor. Add to this a mandatory mask as it’s very very difficulty to get exposed to Covid.
Cruise ships are a different story.

I used to fly alot and every time I went cross country I was sick when I arrived. Much later I learned that I have a slightly deficient immune system. But bavk then I got to know the emergency rooms in SF, Phoenix, Salt Lake City. So I did some research and found that airplanes add about 8% fresh air to the air they are recirculating and they seldom, if ever, clean the ventillation systems. Now the airlines are bragging about the the way the air circulates but I still don't see facts about how long before the air in a plane is completely replaced. Nor have I seen anything about droplets being pushed to the floor, more likely they are pushed onto passengers, armrests, seatbacks or tray tables.
Also many photographs lately showing few if any passengers actually wearing masks.

But yes, it does seem that planes aren't being reported for have caused more cases of covid.

I used to fly alot and every time I went cross country I was sick when I arrived. Much later I learned that I have a slightly deficient immune system. But bavk then I got to know the emergency rooms in SF, Phoenix, Salt Lake City. So I did some research and found that airplanes add about 8% fresh air to the air they are recirculating and they seldom, if ever, clean the ventillation systems. Now the airlines are bragging about the the way the air circulates but I still don't see facts about how long before the air in a plane is completely replaced. Nor have I seen anything about droplets being pushed to the floor, more likely they are pushed onto passengers, armrests, seatbacks or tray tables.
Also many photographs lately showing few if any passengers actually wearing masks.

But yes, it does seem that planes aren't being reported for have caused more cases of covid.
Don’t get me wrong. Planes are a horrible place and you are very likely to get a bacterial and possible a virus infection. But not coronavirus. The most common path of infections on planes is thru surfaces such as the tray that is dirtier than a toilet seat.

Thanks for the info. Iberia were more helpful, said the flights can include other EU citizens and residents but seemed to suggest it wouldn't allow non resident family members. Dispite the fact family members can enter if they are traveling together, they sound unwilling to facilitate.

Half tempted to book and see if they'll let me and my wife on together. I have little doubt we could get through the border in Spain, but I could easily see them not letting us on the plane.

Damn that sucks.. I can't help but laugh at all these Government restrictions but they allow airlines to cram people together a few cm away from each other for long periods of time. All in the name of airline profits lol.. I will say I fly a lot and definitely noticed I have a higher chance of getting sick following the flight - I think this is related to the immune system being weaker/stress related not comfortable and being able to move etc. Also with so many germs and people the best thing is to not touch your nose or eyes. I am also taking vitamin d because studies have suggested it might play a roll in how the body fights/prevents viruses.

Back