Argentina Residency And My Frustration With The "system"

I am sorry to hear about your issues in getting residency, however I fail to understand your story.
For example, have you checked your case status online? What does it says?
Have you been given an explanation of why things are getting delayed? Are you sure is that record from 1997?
Have you tried talking with someone else at Migraciones?
Is your wife helping you speaking with the people there Argie-to-Argie?
Have you considered hiring a lawyer?

I know it is their country, their rules, but making comparison with criminals who were allowed into the country is not going to benefit you.

Took my husband a little over 2 years to get residency, normal times imho. Government employees are known for being not friendly, same happens in the US.

I am sorry to hear about your issues in getting residency, however I fail to understand your story.
For example, have you checked your case status online? Case status?
>> I just submitted the paperwork Thursday (the 17th) What does it says?

Have you been given an explanation of why things are getting delayed?
>>Nothing is "delayed" the paperwork wasn't accepted.

Are you sure is that record from 1997?
>>Yes, of course.

Have you tried talking with someone else at Migraciones?
>>Going back Thursday (the 24th)

Is your wife helping you speaking with the people there Argie-to-Argie?
>>Yes.

Have you considered hiring a lawyer?
>>Yes, and that's a last ditch effort.

I know it is their country, their rules, but making comparison with criminals who were allowed into the country is not going to benefit you.

Took my husband a little over 2 years to get residency, normal times imho. Government employees are known for being not friendly, same happens in the US.

The entire process has gone smoothly and quickly. The problem in my instance is the low-level clerk turning me away (temporarily) because of ONE bad check -- 20 years ago

The entire process has gone smoothly and quickly. The problem in my instance is the low-level clerk turning me away (temporarily) because of ONE bad check -- 20 years ago

I just searched Elqueso's posts for the words "lawyer" and "residency" (searching for the exact words and displaying the results as posts).

He had a problem getting his residency because of an arrest that occurred 29 years earlier (even though migracioes "should" only be looking at the past five years).

He was able to resolve the problem with the help of Gabriel Celano.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Héctor Gabriel Celano
Celano & Asociados - Abogados
[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] [/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Av. Belgrano 634, 2 "B"
C1092AAT - Ciudad Autónoma de Buenos Aires
ARGENTINA
Tel. +54 11 4342 9433 Fax. +54 11 4342 7163
Cel. +54 9 11 4400 9278 [email protected]
[/background]

Thanks for the tip. Last year when I started collecting the paperwork for this process I emailed Celano. No response from him so I pushed on.

S**t happens. We had to get a letter notarized by the US embassy stating that the letter T ( my husband's middle name ) meant Thomas.... And that is how it goes: things get complicated where you least expect them. I bet there are not two expats taht had the same experience when getting residency. :p

I posted this in the article. My cover is blown. ;)

4 years ago, I obtained permanent residency in a single appointment for me, my US-born wife and US-born child. Received our IDs 3 weeks later. It was amazing. 18 months later, my wife and I were granted Argentine citizenship through the courts. Citizenship cost us approximately $100 total for both of us. Both processes were extraordinarily smooth and I represented us throughout.

EDIT: I was astonished how easy it was. I even commented to my wife and the migracion officials at the appointment how I couldn't imagine the equivalent process in the US... the fees, the attorneys, the amount of paperwork and the time it would take. We went from irregular status to permanent residents overnight. Try that in the US.

UPDATE: Made the return trip to Immigration this morning and got my temporary paperwork, but I'm an Argentine resident. From what I understand, I should get my permanent ID card within 90-days.

It's a good Thanksgiving!

Back