Argentina Safety Versus Chile, Uruguay, Costa Rica

Argentina is increasing its violence.
There are lots of social studies that stands that violence origin radicates in inequality, that inequality means, in a wide meaning, segregation, the negation of the other. So the others reaction to this is by violence.

Argentina is a disbanding society, where more rules are breaken every day, where corruption wins an every day battle (BESIDES THE GOVERNMENT - I mean corruption from the verdulero, the sanity inspector or the big succesfully entrepreneur), it is a complete situation of anomie. Thats why we all complain that much, because there still is very strong and clear in the collective imagination the Argentina power of the XXth century, It seems some people, especialy older people but that instil to their sons this speech of Argentina power, just cant accept that we re more close to Bolivia than to Europe.

Argentina is a totally new society preparred to fight against this social problems, they are just new, we dont have a tradition of poverty, of street violence in the numbers we have today. There were always existed the villas but they were statistically marginal, we never have had +50% of poverty as we did in 2002. So this is a completely another society, a new society, the post 2001. Our ministeries, our state institutions, some proffesors, people I knew who worked for the state, nobody had an idea of how to manage this. It collapsed. And I m not sure talking about a big recovery. It sounds to me that when the recession cycle begins, lots, millions of people will go again into poverty.

So thats why we complain, some of us grew without cartoneros, without informal job in the street, without inseguridad, with a very safe city where you could walk perfectly safe at 3 AM, or take a colectivo, or without radio taxis!!! thats new!! or without fear for the different, without that barrier that exists today, without suspicion of anybody, without the lack of authority you can see today (referring, for example, to the school teachers, they were much more respected, especially in poor neighborhoods). I grew up in the 80s/90s and it was another thing, another city, another society, another people. Much more draw together, with not much differences with the other, where public places were for everybody, and the private spaces practically didnt exist.

So back on topic, Argentina is relatively safe, although inseguridad is overreacted, inflated, created and recreated by the media, there is a base of reality where this right wing propaganda stands. But still we can walk safe in a lot of places at night without fear, believe in people, take the colectivo at 5 AM, etc,
Coulnd't agree more

For homicide, its not too bad. But any robbery/armed robbery statistics could not be trusted given the proportion of crimes that aren't reported.

Just a few weeks ago, one of my work mates was waiting for the 93 (Alem and Viamonte), it was about 6:30pm. Two guys in suits came up to him and started asking for directions...next minute they put a gun to him and make him take them to the ATM, clean out his account (well up to the daily limit) and steal his phone and wallet afterwards. Was his first incident in Cap Fed after 5 years living here (he´s Correntino).

This kind of stuff is pretty common though and its getting worse, from what I hear 5 years ago it didn't really happen so much, its scary to think if things don't change what it will be like in another 5 years.

So then do you all think that it is true that Chile, Uruguay, and Costa Rica are safer than Argentina?

Despite the fact that the United Nations says that Chile, Uruguay, and Costa Rica all have higher intentional homicide rates than Argentina?

It's not safe here. My dance partner lives in Beratazegui and when he drops me off after the milonga he leaves his wallet and cell-phone with me as he doesn't want to travel with valuables on the bus or train in case of being robbed. He regularly reports seeing people having their phones stolen and being beaten up if they resist.

So then do you all think that it is true that Chile, Uruguay, and Costa Rica are safer than Argentina?

Despite the fact that the United Nations says that Chile, Uruguay, and Costa Rica all have higher intentional homicide rates than Argentina?

I haven't lived in the other 3. Chileans I have spoken to say its much safer over there and Uruguayos say Montevideo isn't as bad as BA but like BA crime is on the increase. Punta is certainly very safe! haha...

Costa Rica I am not too sure but people say the touristy areas are very safe.

The only safe part of Argentina is Puerto Madero (because the military looks after it) but I guess it's not that bad when compared to some countries. The worrying thing though is thats its been getting progressively worse...

Uruguay is safer than Argentina. Montevideo safer than Buenos Aires, and Punta del Este safer than Mar del Plata.
Although that is changing and they are panicking

Why are things getting worse in Argentina?

Isn't Argentina participating in the modest global economic recovery?

It's not like Argentina has over 50% youth unemployment like in parts of Europe.

Back