Argentina short of change?

travellingbum

Registered
Joined
Oct 19, 2008
Messages
20
Likes
0
According to an article in 'the International Herald Tribune', coins are running scarce in Buenos Aires. The Subte had to let people ride for free simply because they didn't have any coins to give as change. There's even a black market for coins with bus companies seeling them at a premium if this is to be believed. When I arrive in EZE, perhaps I should get 20 pesos worth of change in Banco de la Nacion? (If they haven't run out of coins that is!)
 

Fishface

Registered
Joined
Nov 18, 2006
Messages
163
Likes
1
...it has been for years.

try getting 1 peso coins - even the bank won't give them to you.
 

elhombresinnombre

Registered
Joined
Sep 25, 2008
Messages
1,366
Likes
841
travellingbum said:
According to an article in 'the International Herald Tribune', coins are running scarce in Buenos Aires. The Subte had to let people ride for free simply because they didn't have any coins to give as change. There's even a black market for coins with bus companies seeling them at a premium if this is to be believed. When I arrive in EZE, perhaps I should get 20 pesos worth of change in Banco de la Nacion? (If they haven't run out of coins that is!)

Don't believe everything you read in the papers! And don't believe anything happens for the reasons you read in the papers. There has always been a shortage and everyone has their own strategies for making sure they have enough coins to get by. Unless you plan to ride from the airport to the city on the 86 bus, you won't need any coins immediately.
 

travellingbum

Registered
Joined
Oct 19, 2008
Messages
20
Likes
0
elhombresinnombre said:
Unless you plan to ride from the airport to the city on the 86 bus, you won't need any coins immediately.

LOL!
Funny you should mention that. We've been planning to take this bus for a while. The latest info I received on the fare from EZE into town, is 1.50 pesos each. I got 16 x 1peso coins with me from the UK.
 

Napoleon

Registered
Joined
May 5, 2008
Messages
3,156
Likes
1,550
Fishface said:
...it has been for years.

try getting 1 peso coins - even the bank won't give them to you.

You going to the wrong banks.
 
Top