Short changed?

Jen27

Registered
I have repeatedly gotten back the wrong amount of change, especially when I pay with 100 dollar bill (pesos). This is true in the subway, in the fruit stand, in a cab, etc.

Could all these people be miscounting, or am I being gringoed?

I am wondering if this is common so I can be on the lookout.

I am going to assume that it was an honest mistake almost always, but wanted to hear what yall have experienced.

Jen27 said:
I have repeatedly gotten back the wrong amount of change, especially when I pay with 100 dollar bill (pesos). This is true in the subway, in the fruit stand, in a cab, etc.

Could all these people be miscounting, or am I being gringoed?

I am wondering if this is common so I can be on the lookout.

I am going to assume that it was an honest mistake almost always, but wanted to hear what yall have experienced.

"I have repeatedly gotten back the wrong amount of change" Vs. "I am wondering if this is common"

Well, It's common with me. Wondering if It's just a coincidence or if it's common with yall. Get it?

It certainly is not a coincidence imho, but if you pay the subway with a 100 pesos bill, you run risks obviously.

That's only happened to me once in 2 years (at Establecimiento General, I paid with a $100 and got change back for a $50.) I don't know whether it was deliberate or sheer incompetence, but I immediately complained to the manager and got the right change back. Oh, and once I had to argue with the Disco cashier about whether I had given her a $2 or a $5, but I'm pretty sure she was just a moron. Definitely a good rule of thumb to always count your change and get your receipt before you step away from the cash register.

One of the oldest tricks in the books and much loved of taxi-drivers...some people actually make a record of the serial numbers of their larger bills.

Always pay with small bills. I´ve never had a problem getting change from a bank teller. Buying a subte ticket or anything that costs a few pesos with $100.00 bill is an invitation to get ripped off.

yes pay with small bills... but it is hard with prices going up to always have small bills....as a wise taxi driver told me the other day... I asked him if he had change for a 100?

he said....." yes todays 100 pesos was last years 20 pesos"

argsteve said:
yes pay with small bills... but it is hard with prices going up to always have small bills....as a wise taxi driver told me the other day... I asked him if he had change for a 100?

he said....." yes todays 100 pesos was last years 20 pesos"

;) Did you give him a big tip for his words of wisdom? Hope so.
He was sure telling you the truth in an underhanded manner!!

Back