Argentina stuck in the 1960's?

It's also known as tradition. In Argentina, it is unheard of not to go on vacations in January. You save every penny, no matter what, to do so. And city dwellers will give up anything to go to the seashore, drive in traffic ridden highways over 5 hours, even if for just the weekend. It is imbedded in the Argentinian. It is their way of life.

That's my very point....is it not about time they change?
Another example happened the other day highlighting the problem. The security camera/alarm system in the quinta went down. We gave the chap who runs the business and installed it a call...he didn't answer. Sent him a Whatsapp...he didn't answer. I'm willing to give him the benefit of doubt at the moment but if it turns out he's away on holiday not giving a monkey's about his customers we're going to tell him to to sod off.

Why would you want to change what is traditional in any given country? I understand your frustration, I certainly do. You just have to get used to the idea that annual vacations are sacred. Even the poorest take off, believe me. The legal system takes off for a month. Construction and manufacturing take off for a month. And everybody else goes a minimum of 2 weeks away. That is how it is.
Summer is to take it easy and go easy in the heat. Oh, and and the whole country did modernize, as you ask:
Years ago, Capital Federal had siesta during the afternoon hours, reason for which city jobs extended to 7PM. Nowadays, they have adapted to the American way and work only until 5PM with no siesta. However, the siesta prevails in the provinces.

Why would you want to change what is traditional in any given country? I understand your frustration, I certainly do. You just have to get used to the idea that annual vacations are sacred. Even the poorest take off, believe me. The legal system takes off for a month. Construction and manufacturing take off for a month. And everybody else goes a minimum of 2 weeks away. That is how it is.
Summer is to take it easy and go easy in the heat. Oh, and and the whole country did modernize, as you ask:
Years ago, Capital Federal had siesta during the afternoon hours, reason for which city jobs extended to 7PM. Nowadays, they have adapted to the American way and work only until 5PM with no siesta. However, the siesta prevails in the provinces.
Siesta prevails in Capital too amongst many independent businesses.

Siesta in the Provincia de Bs. As. small towns goes from 12.30 to 17:00 .
So mornings are short if you have breakfast at ten then one must rush to get something done...
All stores are closed. Restaurants are empty every one goes home for lunch, except for those travelling salesmen visiting town. Men after lunch 14:00 go to their Club Social to play cards.(Those that have memberships)

A good rule of thumb would be: independent owners, local shops and the like would be closed from noon outside downtown, especially in those neighbourhoods where there are no commercial avenues to speak of.

Siesta in the Provincia de Bs. As. small towns goes from 12.30 to 17:00 .
So mornings are short if you have breakfast at ten then one must rush to get something done...
All stores are closed. Restaurants are empty every one goes home for lunch, except for those travelling salesmen visiting town. Men after lunch 14:00 go to their Club Social to play cards.(Those that have memberships)
Very true. I once had to call a town in Mendoza in the early afternoon only to be admonished by the person who finally answered the phone that how dare I call during siesta hours. I learned the hard way!

I think it's 1 to 4 for many independents in Capital. Short morning shift considering they don't open until 10. But then 4 til 8, 9, or even 10 at night so fair enough

Most all european countries have paid 6 week or more vacations, all of Italy shuts down for August. NYC goes to the Hamptons for the whole summer. Most of Vancouver BC goes to the islands for a few weeks every summer. The idea of summer vacation goes back centuries, all over the world. The brits used to go up to the hill stations every summer, in India, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka. This is hardly unique to Argentina.

Back