Argentina Versus Colombia to Retire

As a city I like Buenos Aires better than Bogota. Better weather, more things to do, easier to get around, safer, etc.

I'm not a fan of the bigger cities in Colombia. Bogota is ok, but too cold, overcast, bad traffic for long term. Medellin is overrun with gringos and Cali is ok, but nothing note worthy. Cartagena is way too touristy with people constantly trying to hustle you. There are beautiful smaller cities and towns though.

If you're from the US, one of advantage of Colombia is that the flights are cheaper, more frequent and shorter to the US.
Does Bogata have a variety of things to go out and do like restaurants, shows, etc. or pretty boring in that regard?

Ive owned businesses and lived in both Buenos Aires and Medellin (and been to all major Colombian cities). Bogota is a cold, ugly, high altitude dump. Medellin is an attractive place and Cali has potential. However Colombian cities are inherently much more dangerous than Buenos Aires and as a white American (if that is what you are) you will stick out like a sore thumb and will always be a target and you will really only be able to date a subset of woman who are of a lower socioeconomic strata. The default assumption among Colombians is that any white male foreigner is automatically a sex tourist.
In Buenos Aires that is not the case at all, as you can blend in visually and there is no such assumption whatsoever about foreign origin males presence in the country.
In either country you need to speak Spanish otherwise you are totally missing out on what would otherwise be available to you.

Ive owned businesses and lived in both Buenos Aires and Medellin (and been to all major Colombian cities). Bogota is a cold, ugly, high altitude dump. Medellin is an attractive place and Cali has potential. However Colombian cities are inherently much more dangerous than Buenos Aires and as a white American (if that is what you are) you will stick out like a sore thumb and will always be a target and you will really only be able to date a subset of woman who are of a lower socioeconomic strata. The default assumption among Colombians is that any white male foreigner is automatically a sex tourist.
In Buenos Aires that is not the case at all, as you can blend in visually and there is no such assumption whatsoever about foreign origin males presence in the country.
In either country you need to speak Spanish otherwise you are totally missing out on what would otherwise be available to you.
I liked this post and re-read it and now want to downvote your claim that you can only date a women of lower socioeconomic strata. I just don't think that's true at all. I do think that higher class -- I hate that term but I'll use it -- women from the higher social classes in Colombia and Argentina too will require proper introductions from others in their circles. I'd say that's true in all of latin america.

I liked this post and re-read it and now want to downvote your claim that you can only date a women of lower socioeconomic strata. I just don't think that's true at all. I do think that higher class -- I hate that term but I'll use it -- women from the higher social classes in Colombia and Argentina too will require proper introductions from others in their circles. I'd say that's true in all of latin america.
It seems like there is pretty broad agreement on the pros/cons of the two places so far except for dating. This is actually super important for me though, haha. I am a white dude for what it matters.

It seems like there is pretty broad agreement on the pros/cons of the two places so far except for dating. This is actually super important for me though, haha. I am a white dude for what it matters.
In Buenos Aires on dating apps you will potentially have access to woman from all professions and socioeconomic levels (lawyers, doctors, bankers, anything you can imagine) and they will have no inherent negative assumptions about your presence in Argentina (and neither would their families). I say "potentially" because this obviously depends upon your height, fitness level, photos you have on your profile, looks, profession, and Spanish ability.

In all fairness, back when I was on the ground in Medellin dating apps hadn't been invented/ in widespread use yet so the situation could be better than it used to be but I'd be most of what you would have access to their are lower socioeconomic strata "gringo hunters'.

Locational comparisons are always an enjoyable read. Perspectives can vary quite wildly! Overall, I have preferred Buenos Aires to my time in Colombia, though both have their charms and pitfalls.

Weather: Buenos Aires weather is remarkably pleasant. I do enjoy a cool climate as well, though I found the constant overcast conditions in Bogota to be a bit off putting after awhile.

Food: While I agree that Argentine cuisine in general is more varied than Colombian cuisine, I call this one a draw. Fine dining options in Bogota are excellent and roughly equivalent to what can be found here. Bogota beats BA in terms of East Asian cuisine, particularly sushi (Sushi in Argentina is kind of like Taco Bell: same 6 ingredients in a different package!). I found the variety of reasonably authentic international cuisine to be greater in Bogota.

Culture/Activities: BA wins hands down. Bogota nightlife is fantastic, though I am no longer capable/interested in this aspect. Museums, parks, and architecture are more plentiful and accessible in BA.

Outdoors: As someone who loves hiking and other outdoor pursuits, this is the toughest part about living in BA for me. While there are certainly outdoor recreation options outside the city, it’s ultimately a flat city on a brown river nearish to cold, underwhelming beaches. Bogota had many more adventurous outdoor opportunities nearby, though these can be difficult to access.

Cost: BA wins though this may change at any time. I, personally, wouldn’t put too much weight into current prices as Argentina’s economy is wildly unstable. Expenses in Bogota are more predictable for long term planning considerations.

Dating: Can only speak to the LGBT community, but BA is heaven on earth in this regard. Bogota was fine. While not applicable in your case, BA wins if broad acceptance of others is a factor.

Safety: BA feels very safe and I have managed 5 years without any memorable safety issue. Bogota “feels” less safe, though I also encountered no issues there.

Residency: Colombia was a pain. Argentina was a pain. Taxation issues are similar, though neither country is particularly successful at actually enforcing their taxation policies.

Cheers!

Buenos Aires is a MUCH better city than ANY of the cities in Colombia. MUCH cheaper. Cost of living is much lower, With $3,000 US you will like like a king in Buenos Aires. I was just in Colombia and it's not that cheap. Dining out there can add up. I was surprised at the cost of food in nice restaurants. In BA it's cheap with the exchange rate.

But if you're looking to date then nothing beats Colombian girls. They are the most attractive out of all the Latin American countries (Brazil as well has beautiful girls).

Argentina for the most part, the girls are a pain in the ass and more difficult. I'm not saying there aren't attractive girls but nothing like Colombia. Colombians are warmer and friendlier. Portenas are colder and more difficult. I'd say a majority of them end up not getting married until well into their 30's if at all. So many of my Argentine friends never married. They chalk it up to not being enough good guys but realistically it's because they are set in their ways and a royal pain in the ass. So it depends on your priorities. But you won't find better in the looks department and dating department than Colombia. But I'd never want to live there.

Overall quality of life, Buenos Aires is going to be much better. These days there are a LOT of Venezuelans in Buenos Aires. For as shitty as the economy is in Argentina, these Venezuelans think Buenos Aires is paradise compared to the shitty situation in Venezuela. Many of the Uber drivers you will get will probably be from Venezuela (at least that is my experience).

And in general although I like the people in Argentina. Overall compared to other countries in South America. The locals aren't that friendly compared to other countries. Colombians are some of the warmest, gentile and kind people in South America. Because the economy is always shitty in Argentina, it seems like Argentines are always complaining and in a bad mood.

A good bet is to visit both before signing long term contracts and see how you like each before you decide.

Cali is a dump. Bogota the traffic is horrendous. Medellin is probably the only city I'd consider there. JMHO.

Last edited:
Buenos Aires is a MUCH better city than ANY of the cities in Colombia. MUCH cheaper. Cost of living is much lower, With $3,000 US you will like like a king in Buenos Aires. I was just in Colombia and it's not that cheap. Dining out there can add up. I was surprised at the cost of food in nice restaurants. In BA it's cheap with the exchange rate.

But if you're looking to date then nothing beats Colombian girls. They are the most attractive out of all the Latin American countries (Brazil as well has beautiful girls).

Argentina for the most part, the girls are a pain in the ass and more difficult. I'm not saying there aren't attractive girls but nothing like Colombia. Colombians are warmer and friendlier. Portenas are colder and more difficult. I'd say a majority of them end up not getting married until well into their 30's if at all. So many of my Argentine friends never married. They chalk it up to not being enough good guys but realistically it's because they are set in their ways and a royal pain in the ass. So it depends on your priorities. But you won't find better in the looks department and dating department than Colombia. But I'd never want to live there.

Overall quality of life, Buenos Aires is going to be much better. These days there are a LOT of Venezuelans in Buenos Aires. For as shitty as the economy is in Argentina, these Venezuelans think Buenos Aires is paradise compared to the shitty situation in Venezuela. Many of the Uber drivers you will get will probably be from Venezuela (at least that is my experience).

And in general although I like the people in Argentina. Overall compared to other countries in South America. The locals aren't that friendly compared to other countries. Colombians are some of the warmest, gentile and kind people in South America. Because the economy is always shitty in Argentina, it seems like Argentines are always complaining and in a bad mood.

A good bet is to visit both before signing long term contracts and see how you like each before you decide.

Cali is a dump. Bogota the traffic is horrendous. Medellin is probably the only city I'd consider there. JMHO.
Nailed it! 100% in agreement.

Back