Argentina's 1833 myth - a "Population Expelled" - De-bunked yet again...!

scotttswan said:
Do you have a copy of Moreno's letter to Palmerston and his reply?

Rosas is also the President who said he would drop the claim in return for the money owed to the UK?

I've read Palmerston's letter to Moreno in 1834 where he clearly states Argentina has no claim.

I don't have a copy of their whole letter by Palmerston, but read a fragment as quoted by Hope in his thesis published by Boston College Law Review. The fragment includes the paragraph from which P&P extract a few words to make their argument. I quote the paragraph in this message (near the middle). You can see P&P's claim after that quote.

The subject of the letters were to discuss an interpretation given by The Times, supposedly offered by Palmerston at the House of Commons. Even without consideration of the rest of the sentence, it would be odd to interpret that when Palmerston said (quoted by P&P) 'the way described by you in your letter', he was referring to that interpretation, which Moreno argued against in his letter, and not to Moreno's rectifications. Not surprisingly, the quote in Boston C. Law Review opens up a much more plausible explanation of Palmerston's words when it offers the full sentence, which starts with him saying that his opinion had been misrepresented by the newspaper.

Of course Palmerston denied Argentine rights, I've never said the contrary, we're talking about something else here.

AndyD said:
I don't have a copy of their whole letter by Palmerston, but read a fragment as quoted by Hope in his thesis published by Boston College Law Review. The fragment includes the paragraph from which P&P extract a few words to make their argument. I quote the paragraph in this message (near the middle). You can see P&P's claim after that quote.

The subject of the letters were to discuss an interpretation given by The Times, supposedly offered by Palmerston at the House of Commons. Even without consideration of the rest of the sentence, it would be odd to interpret that when Palmerston said (quoted by P&P) 'the way described by you in your letter', he was referring to that interpretation, which Moreno argued against in his letter, and not to Moreno's rectifications. Not surprisingly, the quote in Boston C. Law Review opens up a much more plausible explanation of Palmerston's words when it offers the full sentence, which starts with him saying that his opinion had been misrepresented by the newspaper.

Of course Palmerston denied Argentine rights, I've never said the contrary, we're talking about something else here.

It would be good to be able to read both letters in full but the fact the letter was written a year before the treaty was signed and that they didn't refer to the islands in the treaty as an exception indicates that Rosas did indeed cede Argentina's small claim when he signed it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Expat Life 18