Argentina's continued collapse by another Redditor in June 2023

Neoperm

Registered
Just came across this report-

How much of this is true? Looks quite worrisome. :(

"I was just here, it is true they work for visa bank cards that a foreign. But fuck my life that was the most expensive place I've ever travelled.

They have somehow priced inflation like 6 months ahead, even with double their exchange rate it is very expensive. As the prices they decide on are so far ahead so they don't lose out on anything.

Restaurants have fuck all food, 1/10 things on a menu they may be able to make. You can't grocery shop and cook yourself, as the super markets are down to bare essentials. Fruit and veg left rotting as the prices are soo high. It's like they are going into war rationing for a fucking blitz.

Normal brands and clothing is at least 8-9 times higher. We tried to buy an Osprey backpack as ours broke. They quoted us 1100 euros for a fuckin backpack! A jacket whilst in Patagonia?? Take a guess? 1600 USD !!!

The place is in freefall and violent crime has shot up. We saw 3 muggings in broad daylight in beunos Aires, nobody bats an eye ! The only way to get the blue dollar rate, is to exchange money with cash on the street, so they know tourists are walking around with a lot of money.

They spot you and stalk you until they find a chance. We got followed a few times, they have nothing better to do and tourists are easy picking.

Certain things are cheap, but not many places accept bank cards they take cash for everything.

Booking.com takes cash only, you arrive at a premise and the host demands you pay in the actual exchange rate though, so you pay double what the website says. Then they force you to pay their booking fees and tax on top as they don't want to register it as a booking.

They know if you disagree and cancel they get the money deposited automatically anyway so you have to agree. This happened 4 or 5 times and booking can't do anything about it.

The whole country is obsessed with having USD that they will lie steal and fucking kill for them, which make their currency weaker by the second. They've made a feedback loop and they keep pushing their currency lower, since nobody is using their currency not even their own population. Every day it's dropping, each day it's a better exchange rate on the street, so it's pointless exchanging all your money at once, as each day it gets a better rate. Leading you to spend your days just walking the streets with wads of cash. It's fucking mad max out there.

I would feel sorry for the Argentinian people, but half of them were cunts and rude the other half just want to rip you off

You aren't seen as anything but a walking wallet to them"

Booking.com requires a valid card info, for a good number (if not all) of bookings. If the booking is cancelled at the last moment, they payment maybe automatic.
True, but I saw a couple that specifically said no card info was required.

In any case, sounds to me like the poster quite possibly deserved whatever treatment he received.

I left last month and can’t resonate with any of this post besides that petty theft is extremely common and I’m sure that’s nothing new

Back